[Minecraft News] Minecraft to push minimum OpenGL Support to version 2.1

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
An interesting tidbit that just popped up on the Mojang Support Center: https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1307761-opengl-2-1-support

If you're running an older system or an Apple you may have issues in the future with Minecraft support. On the plus side this possibly may make things run smoother for folks running PCs built in the past decade. On the minus side this will probably lock people with older/less advanced systems back in older versions of Minecraft until they upgrade.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
Hum,so this is a way to move closer to the so called "Mod API"...
So I guess it will be impossible to play MC in a older PowerPC Mac/1st gen of Intels Macs and Older Laptops(Pre-2005).
Good thing my PC is up-to-date with the today's standard,so I think it will be fine,but I wonder how other peoples with older specs will react with this.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
"Improve the performance of the game"

Dear Mojang, there are ways to check if certain extensions are supported before using them. Monty Python reference aside, this is probably a one of the most unacceptable, sad excuses of the year. It is one of the cardinal sins of OGL Game Development.

A part of me says that they are lying about performace. The only thing they get by pushing minVer to 2.1 is basic shader support (and even then, 2.0 was the minVer for shaders). VBOs are perfectly fine in 1.4 as an ARB Extension.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
So, this means people with ancient computers will no longer be able to play minecraft, how new does your computer actually have to be to be able to run 2.1 open gl?

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
So, this means people with ancient computers will no longer be able to play minecraft, how new does your computer actually have to be to be able to run 2.1 open gl?

maxVer atm is 4.4. The date 2.1 was released is in the article.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
wiki says opengl 2.1 came out in mid 06 so depending on when that gen of gpus and such was released i would say a core2duo computer or better would be fine.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
A part of me says that they are lying about performace. The only thing they get by pushing minVer to 2.1 is basic shader support (and even then, 2.0 was the minVer for shaders). VBOs are perfectly fine in 1.4 as an ARB Extension.

So what is their evil plan that doesn't involve making the game better?

People who can't play the new version on their outdated hardware can still play the version they bought, and most of the versions that came afterward. Furthermore if they can't afford a 2.1 capable GPU they can't afford to be spending their time playing minecraft.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
This can be an analogy to disabled people in society.

Just because they are disabled, doesn't mean you should discriminate and / or forbid them from entering a city / building / ect.

Let them do what they are still capable of doing.

Mojang's excuse in this context would be something like: "We want to get rid of disabled people from our city because looking at them is uncomfortable to some of us."

Simply swap the word "people" for "GPU"

My point the previous post and this one is (in case you have not figured it out yet): Yes, Mojang can make this game perform better in a ~10~ fps margin I would say, however, they are being incredibly lazy by not instead checking extensions (which in turn determines the methods that will be used); due to this, they ruin the fun for people with outdated GPUs.

If Mojang ever does decide to go down this dark path, let there be hope for a mod that overrides the render class(es).

Grickit

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang's excuse in this context would be something like: "We want to get rid of disabled people from our city because looking at them is uncomfortable to some of us."

You know who else got rid of people with disabilities? Hitler. No longer holding back on new features for the sake of a tiny minority of users who don't keep up to date on their software is basically the holocaust. That's totally a suitable analogy.

But we've got bigger problems. Problems right here at home. The official feed-the-beast forums do not work properly on netscape or internet explorer 6! Why are the administrators trying to get rid of people with disabilities? So what if my computer is from 1997, running Windows 98? That's still discrimination!

Simply swap the word "people" for "GPU"

And if you swap "GPU" for "dogs", then Mojang is basically drowning puppies in a river.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Name of the game here is planned obsolescenee. Microsoft & hardware companies actively make it harder to get support for their older OS's and hardware respectively, because they need them to become obsolete. Because it's when they do that they profit from more sales. And so, game & software companies have to make choices... do we continue to offer support for old hardware/software, which costs money, or do we cease to do that and streamline and optimize the code for newer hardware? Needless to say, the second choice is usually more common than the first, especially since most software have nearly all of their userbase using newer software and hardware, and as such does not lose terrible amounts of profit by ceasing to offer support to older equipment.

It's money, people, and it's the logical choice from a market standpoint. Mojang is a company and will think and behave like a company, otherwise it'll curl over and die like many others...

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
My old MSI laptop from early 2008 with on board graphics with 2 Gb of Ram and Windows XP don't work on newest snapshot - it starts and freezes. I know that i have old time classic PC which won't work on far/ normal distance rendering but right now i know that 1.7 won't even work for me. Must start to raise the money for new PC.
But i'm not worried because when FTB pack will be updated to 1.7 months will take - right now for 1.6.2 we don't have all the mods and there was couple of months from vanilla 1.6.2 release.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
My old MSI laptop from early 2008 with on board graphics with 2 Gb of Ram and Windows XP don't work on newest snapshot - it starts and freezes. I know that i have old time classic PC which won't work on far/ normal distance rendering but right now i know that 1.7 won't even work for me. Must start to raise the money for new PC.
But i'm not worried because when FTB pack will be updated to 1.7 months will take - right now for 1.6.2 we don't have all the mods and there was couple of months from vanilla 1.6.2 release.
what gpu is in your laptop?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Some people are going to complain about anything, are they...

Anyway, Godwin's Law was already invoked on page one, I think it's time for Vauthil to lock this thread back up again :p

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
You mean I've been trying in vain all this time to get the 1.7 snapshot to run properly on my CP/M machine?!?!?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
But we've got bigger problems. Problems right here at home. The official feed-the-beast forums do not work properly on netscape or internet explorer 6! Why are the administrators trying to get rid of people with disabilities? So what if my computer is from 1997, running Windows 98? That's still discrimination!
Your argument is invalid, this page works well under lynx which runs on every version of windows since 95 and under dos:
http://i.imgur.com/dIBfLUZ.png

You just need to use updated browser.

Reactions: Riuga and Nerixel

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
You really saying I can no longer use my Commodore64 sheez the cheek of them...this is the Internet some one is gonna moan about something & some with will bring up Hitler..

Reactions: YX33A and RedBoss