Minecraft 1.8, ftb future?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aarthek

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,

So 1.8 been out for well over a year now, we're now looking at 1.9 being released what sounds like November (ish). Yet when I look over the FTB packages they are still Minecraft 1.7.10 or older.

I thought forge came out for 1.8 months ago, so I'm a bit confused, is the state of modding for Minecraft just a dead thing? or...

Just trying to understand why there seems to be the big delay in 1.8 support.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Usually a pack stays out for a pretty long time. Forge for 1.7 came out and it took ages for a 1.7 pack to come out because people were all updating their mods. Since lots of mods are still being updated/worked on in 1.7, it will definitely be some time. A bunch of modders dropped out of MC modding this past year as well, so there may be a bit before the content for a 1.8 pack is even out there.

gold49

Jul 29, 2019
Last I checked (granted this was a month ago) many mods had not ported to 1.8, had just begun to port, or the authors had stated they had little to no intention of going to 1.8. No mods, no modpacks.
And even when/if enough mods are on 1.8 to begin pack creation, it will be quite a while before ftb team catches up (for example, many mods had been ported to 1.6 by the time 1.5 packs came out, although to be fair to the ftb team in that example there were other major factors that delayed ftb team.)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I think the only major mod that's "ready" for 1.8 (and by major I mean a mainstay in most modpacks, and by ready I mean just now getting to beta) is thaumcraft...

HaighyorkieChilled has an episode up where he's just looking at the new changes. So there is hope for a 1.8 pack, just not that likely :(

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
OpenComputers is out too and BuildCraft has an unofficial port.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
OpenComputers is out too and BuildCraft has an unofficial port.
I thought that was impossible with the new rendering system, well impossible in a sane way.

to get back on topic, I tried to make a few 1.8 packs myself and it is a mess.
waila seems to break pretty much everything, a good while ago I managed to let my characters arm disappear without using f1, I have plenty of problems with nei and other mods and in general a lot of mods just aren't updated.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I thought that was impossible with the new rendering system, well impossible in a sane way.

Please do not mistake us for sane people. :)

Forge added a workaround which gives us near-Tessellator possibilities not too long after their initial release. That's how AlexIL did it. :)

Reactions: Lethosos and gold49

Chocohead

Jul 29, 2019
The fact Forge hasn't even made it to 1.8.7 yet is a sign of how things are going, mods coming out for 1.8 at all is an achievement

fowltief

Jul 29, 2019
The changes inbetween the versions causes alot of people to rewrite thier entire mod scratch. Some people are Skipping versions or decide its not worth doing.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I do know for a fact that most mods will be updated to 1.9, because;
1. 1.9 fixes most of the problems of 1.8
2. 1.9 added more content then 1.8
3. Behind the scenes, mojang is making 1.9 easier to port a mod from 1.7.10 to 1.9.
GOOD! Because, from what I have heard of 1.8, I doubt a lot of mods will ever bother to update

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
1. 1.9 fixes most of the problems of 1.8

As much as I enjoy 1.9, this just isn't true. It has all the major bugs of 1.8 along with some new ones.

3. Behind the scenes, mojang is making 1.9 easier to port a mod from 1.7.10 to 1.9.

Also not true. 1.9 (when coming from 1.7.10) has almost all of the learning curve of 1.8 along with a few new things to learn. We still don't know what the final product will bring, because just this last week they made a major change that means all sounds must be registered before being used.

As for whether mods will be updated to 1.9, I agree, they almost definitely will. Despite the bugs, and no matter what Forge does, there's just not a lot of justification to sit on 1.7 forever. It might take some time since many modders never learned 1.8, but I think 1.9 will eventually be the base for modpacks.

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So long as Forge keeps fixing Mojang's cockups, I think 1.9 will be okay, modwise. Hell, that's basically been Forge's purpose since 1.5, as I recall.

engel

Jul 29, 2019
With FTB Evolved coming this week, I would not hold my breath for 1.8 packs. There is a lot of life left in 1.7.10.

If I am correct though, wasn't there some big change in 1.9 that would reduce lag greatly? Particles not being entities or something?

tooncool64

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I enjoy 1.9, this just isn't true. It has all the major bugs of 1.8 along with some new ones.

Also not true. 1.9 (when coming from 1.7.10) has almost all of the learning curve of 1.8 along with a few new things to learn. We still don't know what the final product will bring, because just this last week they made a major change that means all sounds must be registered before being used.

As for whether mods will be updated to 1.9, I agree, they almost definitely will. Despite the bugs, and no matter what Forge does, there's just not a lot of justification to sit on 1.7 forever. It might take some time since many modders never learned 1.8, but I think 1.9 will eventually be the base for modpacks.
Sorry about that! I read your thread and must have read it wrong =P. But i'm glad that you also think most mods will be updated to 1.9.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about that! I read your thread and must have read it wrong =P. But i'm glad that you also think most mods will be updated to 1.9.

In retrospect I guess it depends on how one interprets "fixes most of the problems with 1.8" though, to be fair. In terms of bugs, which is how I initially interpreted what you said, not so much. But in terms of internal functionality, then it's getting there. Like I mentioned in the thread, models are improved, items have render states, many block methods accept a block state now which makes them a bit more dynamic, potions/enchantments/etc should be easier to add, among various other things which should make 1.9 work better on its own before an API has to come in and invent workarounds.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
In retrospect I guess it depends on how one interprets "fixes most of the problems with 1.8" though, to be fair. In terms of bugs, which is how I initially interpreted what you said, not so much. But in terms of internal functionality, then it's getting there. Like I mentioned in the thread, models are improved, items have render states, many block methods accept a block state now which makes them a bit more dynamic, potions/enchantments/etc should be easier to add, among various other things which should make 1.9 work better on its own before an API has to come in and invent workarounds.
TBF Mojang could stop working on pointless updates and work on the modding API which they have been promising for well over a year now

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
TBF Mojang could stop working on pointless updates and work on the modding API which they have been promising for well over a year now

They've talked about an API a lot longer than a year... Either the 2013 or 14 Minecon.

I have a hunch that we may see an API for the C++ version (MCPE, Win10 MC beta) first, judging from Microsoft's claim that they acquired MC to use as a tool to get kids interested in programming.

I fully expect a SDK for MC to come out for Visual Studio... That way parts of a mod could be written in C++, Basic, C# or even F# at the coders preference, since the languages provided in Visual Studio generate intermediate code that can be used by the other languages. Also, VS2015 is supposed to be cross-platform... I know there are the 32/64 bit Intel and 32/64 bit Arm compilers and libraries are supposedly in-place for Apple and Linux/Android OSes.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
They've talked about an API a lot longer than a year... Either the 2013 or 14 Minecon.

I have a hunch that we may see an API for the C++ version (MCPE, Win10 MC beta) first, judging from Microsoft's claim that they acquired MC to use as a tool to get kids interested in programming.

I fully expect a SDK for MC to come out for Visual Studio... That way parts of a mod could be written in C++, Basic, C# or even F# at the coders preference, since the languages provided in Visual Studio generate intermediate code that can be used by the other languages. Also, VS2015 is supposed to be cross-platform... I know there are the 32/64 bit Intel and 32/64 bit Arm compilers and libraries are supposedly in-place for Apple and Linux/Android OSes.
But that shouldn't be the case.
Ok, they delivered on their promise (if that does happen), but they promised it for the Java version... As that was all that was around at the time (apart from early console/mobile releases... which would never be possible)

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
A mod or plugin API has been thrown around by Mojang for like 4-5 years, before Minecraft ever hit 1.0 (or even beta if I recall, but that seems an eternity ago). I think Workbench was scrapped, so the only thing since then that's even indicated anything close to them trying to implement a Java-based API is all of the abstraction and cleaning up they've done to 1.8 and 1.9.

Though even that might not mean anything, they might just being trying to appear busy since they no doubt feel their jobs are in jeopardy, not only from Win10 Edition being a thing now, but also that the year of mandatory pay is probably almost over by now (which Notch made Microsoft promise when he sold to them).