Minecraft 1.7

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
you can now reference blocks in commands with their names (e.g. minecraft:stone), instead of using IDs. This is a major step towards towards the Mod API as it means that there will be no more id conflicts (!!!

Named blocks are much better than my idea of having unnamed UUIDs. Once the mods get the naming convention integrated the change will certainly alleviate the ID conflicts and has the potential to make more mods compatible across the board. Mind you, I imagine the level files could be slightly more bloated as a trade off.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
The bottleneck in Minecraft isn't Java. Besides, with modern JIT compilers the difference between native and bytecode-compiled-to-native is hardly noticable. Any language has it's pro's and con's but saying that it's the "shiznittiest coding language" is just complete bollocks. And no, Java isn't terrible at all performance wise. You should know that.

The problem with your statement is every other coding language has more pro's then cons, java is the opposite. I may not know java but I've got friends who work with it and other code every day and each one of them will say Java is the worst for optimization.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Regardless of how relatively bad Java is, there's still a lot that could be done and isn't. I don't like Optifine, but it had been around for who knows how long and Mojang has somehow managed to, in the name of modders who I doubt even give a crap anymore, screw up their system while this great optimization code was there all along.

Mojang really doesn't care about the modding community. If they did, they would stop wasting time on an API that will likely never exist.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I'm just waiting when modders will ditch Minecraft and switch to open source clones like Terasology or Minetest.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I actually love how the Minecraft industry works. You pay once and you get the toppings of the cake without "expanison packs" or in billing cycles like servers. Although like the TOS they can change this anytime, any day..

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with your statement is every other coding language has more pro's then cons, java is the opposite. I may not know java but I've got friends who work with it and other code every day and each one of them will say Java is the worst for optimization.

That's bloody obvious. Don't make this kinds of statements then. Seriously, it makes you look completely ignorant. What you're saying is completely nonsense, you are just voicing the opinion of someone who for some reason has a dislike of the language. There are many programmers that have these kinds of opinions about languages (not just Java) and typically it's because they just looked at it and don't want to bother with it because they prefer their own language framework over all the others.

A good programmer will never ever have such a opinion about such a widely used language because a good programmer knows that the language is just the tool for the job.[DOUBLEPOST=1379488639][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mojang really doesn't care about the modding community. If they did, they would stop wasting time on an API that will likely never exist.

So if they "don't care" then why are they implementing this change towards moving away from block IDs?

Reactions: desht and Tylor

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
That's bloody obvious. Don't make this kinds of statements then. Seriously, it makes you look completely ignorant. What you're saying is completely nonsense, you are just voicing the opinion of someone who for some reason has a dislike of the language. There are many programmers that have these kinds of opinions about languages (not just Java) and typically it's because they just looked at it and don't want to bother with it because they prefer their own language framework over all the others.

A good programmer will never ever have such a opinion about such a widely used language because a good programmer knows that the language is just the tool for the job.[DOUBLEPOST=1379488639][/DOUBLEPOST]

So if they "don't care" then why are they implementing this change towards moving away from block IDs?

Ironically enough you're looking quite ignorant too, these people get paid for their knowledge on coding, I don't. I've looked it over and compared to the coding I do know, it looks pretty messy. These people don't have a favorite coding language but they always say the most tedious of them is Java. Not only that it's just poorly optimized and a google search will tell you as such... from people who know much more then I do... I'm allowed to relay my thoughts as this is a public forum and I can trust those who work with the different coding languages as they have first hand experience and are not the kind of people to make false or opinionated statements.

Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it's the best. It's just one of the most widely used in devices and easier to set up and learn. Every war has guns, some bad, some good. Just because we (the US) use the M16A2 doesn't mean it's the best, it just means it's cost of production is on par with it's quality...

Reactions: Hambeau

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ironically enough you're looking quite ignorant too, these people get paid for their knowledge on coding, I don't. I've looked it over and compared to the coding I do know, it looks pretty messy. These people don't have a favorite coding language but they always say the most tedious of them is Java. Not only that it's just poorly optimized and a google search will tell you as such... from people who know much more then I do... I'm allowed to relay my thoughts as this is a public forum and I can trust those who work with the different coding languages as they have first hand experience and are not the kind of people to make false or opinionated statements.

Just because everyone uses it doesn't mean it's the best. It's just one of the most widely used in devices and easier to set up and learn. Every war has guns, some bad, some good. Just because we (the US) use the M16A2 doesn't mean it's the best, it just means it's cost of production is on par with it's quality...

And conversely people better versed in the field are equally allowed to say you are wrong, whether you are or not...

Reactions: RedBoss

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Ironically enough you're looking quite ignorant too, these people get paid for their knowledge on coding, I don't.

That's obvious. I am a Java dev, have been since 1998. I am now in charge of a small team of developers, also working in Java. I know damn well what the strengths and weaknesses of Java are therefor I can have an 'opinion' on this matter. As a hobby project I also wrote a Minecraft level viewer in Java that loads and displays minecraft levels, so I also know quite a bit on how Minecraft works internally. And you're just voicing the opinion from someone else who knows hardly anything about Java.

I've seen plenty of developers say this kind of stuff about Java. NONE of those developers actually had any in-depth experience with it.

If you want to keep voicing this opinion in this matter; be my guest. But you're getting less credible by the minute. I mean, you know nothing about Java but you looked at it and found it 'messy'? Seriously? *facedesk*

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Java is not perfect, but it is a pretty good compromise between speed, stability and ease of coding. It's main issue is massive verbosity and redundancy of syntax, but Scala fixes it.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK

Yep, it's very clear that you don't know Java. Doesn't sound like your friends do, either.

(Yeah, Java's certainly not perfect, and it's not the fastest, but it's also not the suckfest that some people would have you believe; it's a pretty solid language with decent performance and very portable).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
(Yeah, Java's certainly not perfect, and it's not the fastest, but it's also not the suckfest that some people would have you believe; it's a pretty solid language with decent performance and very portable).

Actually; the reputation of 'bad performance' stems from back in the days when we had Java 1.1 which really was purely interpreted bytecode and then with 1.2 and the introduction of the disaster that was Swing. We're more than a decade further not and with in-VM compilation of bytecode to native code it's pretty much as fast as for example C++.

This is the reason that huge sites like Facebook and Twitter are using a lot of Java server side: speed, coupled with a huge mature ecosystem of good quality open-source libraries.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Hydra, you remind me of how mechanics of the old school once (and some old bastards still do) felt about fuel injection. In the early days when it first arrived, it was less efficient compared to carburetors. It is common knowledge nowadays that it's far beyond the old stereotype. :p

Regardless, the whole argument seems a bit silly. First, nobody here can recode Minecraft except Mojang and any talk about it makes no sense. Second, every programming language was developed for a reason and gained popularity or at least reputation based on what it was good at, not as some all inclusive approach to solve everything. Go program a webpage in C++ and report your results, or other silly example. :rolleyes:

Suffice to say, if Java was, to be low brow, full of suck-sauce, then it would not have gained the widespread use it has today. No system is perfect. Wide cross-platform compatibility is a very useful feature and it is ultimately what we're stuck with right now. HTML5 is looking to overtake Flash on the web too. :)

And the best thing about computers, like what spawned Linux, if you really are that bothered by the available options...go make a new option! :D

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
They are in fact rewriting Minecraft, twice! But for different platforms and with less features so it's going a bit faster. And coding done obviously by different people altogether.

The most crippling performance issue Minecraft has is chunk loading/unloading. There's just too much data to load into memory from the disk at once when you are moving around and the amount of that data has been increasing every patch. This is not a fault of Java itself, it is simply that the game was programmed originally with less data per chunk so it worked well enough with the less optimal loading.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with Java is not the language, but how its rather generous safety net allows programmers to get away with all kinds of bad habits, like overzealous object allocation and copying. It's a great rapid prototyping language, and a great production language. The tool is not a bad tool at all, but often gets blamed for misuse.

I have not seen Mojang's code, but if it's doing thing like needlessly updating chunks that aren't viewable nor are chunkloaded-viewable *cough* vertical chunks *cough*, then that's not optimum coding no matter what language one uses. At that point, it doesn't matter what the language is. That's a lot of wasted CPU cycles.

To Mojang's credit, they had no idea MC would be this huge of a hit nor used the way it is used now. It started off as a small project, got featured on Penny Arcade, and just skyrocketed from there. Also, the MC code was/is more than adequate for vanilla and relatively small servers. They had no idea it would be used on massive servers with chunkloaders, 100+ mods, and trying to be rendered on clients with high-pixel-count texture packs.

In my life, I've done rapid prototyping in all kinds of languages, commercial application development in a few languages, and real-time coding in a couple of different languages. To me, MC looks like rapid prototyping that was wildly and unexpectedly successful that Notch and Mojang were understandably not prepared to deal with. Catastrophic success.

I applaud them for their work.

Reactions: BanzaiBlitz