Minecraft 1.5.1 and the new MC Forge...¿Optifine needed?

DrunkenWolfer

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you should heard about the new Minecraft Forge optimization updates for MC 1.5.1.
Here in the spoiler a major changes quote from the Forge 7.7.0 changelog...

• Minecraft Rendering Engine:
    Minecraft has moved to a runtime stitcher for there textures. This allows all textures int he game to be stitched together in memory and treated as a single texture. What does this mean? No more need for custom sprite sheets in Forge. Mod authors need to split there spritesheets into single files and have the engine put them back together. For the end user, this could be a significant performance increase for older graphics cards who had issues swaping textures all the time.
  • TESR Culling:
    This was added at the end of the 1.4.7 cycle so i'll mention it here. Forge will now attempt to optimize the rendering of TileEntities by not rendering tile entities that are not on the screen. What does this mean? For the end user a SIGNIFICANT performance increase in areas with a lot of tile entites. However! The downside is there might be some rendering issues while modders adapt. Namely tile entities 'dissapearing' when they are ont he edges of your view area. Simply report these to the mod authors and allow them time to update to the new system. It's well worth the small growing pains. To modders: You simply need to implement TileEntity.getRenderBoundingBox() properly for your tile entities.

Today I wanted to do a derpy test, I was using Forge 7.7.1.673 and I saw an Optifine version compatible with this version of Forge so I made two screenshots to give you an idea.

With Optifine
plcDSiW.png

Without Optifine
xFy4Ums.jpg

So you guys, already tested out your frame rate?

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find much information on this. Which version of Forge for 1.4.7 was it added in?

Also, any chance you could provide a comparison in a well-developed world which caused severe performance loss before this feature?

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find much information on this. Which version of Forge for 1.4.7 was it added in?

Also, any chance you could provide a comparison in a well-developed world which caused severe performance loss before this feature?
it wasn't. It was added in Forge 651.

@OP, with Optifine you can zoom, the extra 50ish FPS can't hurt either

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Umm.. as i see there, you have more chunks rendered in the optifine version (60 or so)..It haves more chunks loaded outside the FoV (the F parameter) and its rendering 2 more entities.. So that MAY hurt your fps a little.. And, as you can see there, even if loading more chunks, the game loads with less memory (only 13%) so it gives more space for some extra interaction besides the video work.. I think that in the sum of this circunstances, optifine proves to be the better option... I may be wrong but with me (near nonexistent) knowledge about rendering in minecraft, optifine is working a lot more loaded than the non optifine version, and it still haves a nice FPS and even lower memory usage.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
The real test, which I'm hoping someone has done, is to compare frame rates while standing in the middle of a very well-developed base. Something full of pipes and chests and machines.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
I've found in general, that forge alone has higher fps - however, it doesn't seem to render dropped items if viewing them from the south side, so I've had to install optifine to force 3d-rendering. I need to do some investigation to see if I've changed a config option somewhere, but for now I'll survive.