MindCrack FTB - FPS Issues

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason, in certain areas, when I look in a certain direction, My Mouse movement will become very jerky and FPS drop will be noticeable. I have a feeling its those animating pretty ores, but I don't understand why it would do something like that for being so simple.

Does anyone have any ideas / recommendations?

I have tried Optifine, didn't work.

I have tried updating LWJGL, didn't work.

It definitely did not do this in the Beta pack, so it's probably one of the new mods.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I have heard that voxel player may be causing issues, it sounds like it probably is not that. Try playing on the DW20 pack and see if the same thing happens. At least that would then eliminated some possibilities.

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
Removed everything Voxel related and it didn't help. It's definitely something in the worldgen, It's in certain spots. I can't get an xray mod working so I can't see what's in the general area that's causing it :\

I wonder if it's those crystals, they do seem pretty complex in terms of models compared to everything else in our blocky little game.

Edit: Interesting, apparently Etho is having troubles very similar to me (talks about it around 7:00):

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
It's probably redwood trees. My fps gets cut in half any time one of those is in a loaded chunk.

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
It's probably redwood trees. My fps gets cut in half any time one of those is in a loaded chunk.

I already disabled that from WorldGen before I started my world because they lagged me bad in Beta :) Pretty useless biome regardless, too much clutter.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
Do you still get the big fir trees? Could be those as well. I removed pretty much all extra biome gen except the redrock, wasteland, and autumn trees. So, no huge trees to cause lag at all.

If you think it's xycraft (the fancy ores), you could try setting the particles to false and see if that helps.

Code:
    #Set to false if 16x textures are desired: Doesn't make a difference currently
    HDTextures=false
    #Set to true if you would like to see Particle FX
    Particles=false

Thaumcraft doesn't have the same thing, but honestly I don't see either of these causing lag.

chuparon

Jul 29, 2019
I'd double check make sure about extrabioms. I have to disable most of extrabiomes' world gen except for red rock area and autumn trees, otherwise I get huge lag. I could be getting 200+ fps, but as soon as i look in the direction of those trees it spawns i drop down to about 10 fps.

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
Do you still get the big fir trees? Could be those as well. I removed pretty much all extra biome gen except the redrock, wasteland, and autumn trees. So, no huge trees to cause lag at all.

If you think it's xycraft (the fancy ores), you could try setting the particles to false and see if that helps.

Code:
    #Set to false if 16x textures are desired: Doesn't make a difference currently
    HDTextures=false
    #Set to true if you would like to see Particle FX
    Particles=false

Thaumcraft doesn't have the same thing, but honestly I don't see either of these causing lag.

Didn't seem to really do anything

I'd double check make sure about extrabioms. I have to disable most of extrabiomes' world gen except for red rock area and autumn trees, otherwise I get huge lag. I could be getting 200+ fps, but as soon as i look in the direction of those trees it spawns i drop down to about 10 fps.

Positive the big tree biomes are disabled, I haven't seen one anywhere.

Not sure what your specs are but allocating more ram to your java will prob make a big dif here is a tutorial on it http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/350344-allocating-more-memory-to-java-windows/

I already have 3GB allocated to FTB, I don't think RAM makes a difference in terms of FPS - but i could be wrong.

I should mention I get around 200-300FPS normally (Fancy, Far, Optifine), when I look towards the "lag" areas, I drop down to around 80~ (which isn't that bad) but the mouse movement gets ridiculously jerky.

I have made it alot better by turning Advanced OpenGL to Fast - but I still do notice it.

CrazyAL

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't seem to really do anything

Positive the big tree biomes are disabled, I haven't seen one anywhere.

I already have 3GB allocated to FTB, I don't think RAM makes a difference in terms of FPS - but i could be wrong.

I should mention I get around 200-300FPS normally (Fancy, Far, Optifine), when I look towards the "lag" areas, I drop down to around 80~ (which isn't that bad) but the mouse movement gets ridiculously jerky.

I have made it alot better by turning Advanced OpenGL to Fast - but I still do notice it.

I don't mean more ram for FTB or Minecraft, I mean allocating more ram to your java install, give it a try see what happens.

Puremin0rez

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mean more ram for FTB or Minecraft, I mean allocating more ram to your java install, give it a try see what happens.

Errrrr, Allocating more RAM to FTB just allocates more RAM to the JVM (Java) - which does the exact same thing. I wouldn't recommend setting a global JVM memory limit as applications usually handle this quite well, but since FTB doesn't, they give you a pretty little slider for it since there's so much more content.

superfreexa

Jul 29, 2019
I'm suffering a similar issue.

My computer ran the straight beta pack with a lower fps than on default minecraft, but I'm sure that was just the fact it was mods in general.
Running the mindcrack pack leads to issues with fps.

Map: Medium sized island in the middle of an ocean. Fresh world with no machinery in it at all.
Issue: FPS sits around 50 - 80. Mouse movement is the main issue - it sporadically feels jerky.
Other things: On the surface, there isn't much lag. It is mainly while mining/caving.

The world is only a few hours old, with not many chunks generated. No quarries or any machinery.
None of the ridiculous trees are in view, or generated to my knowledge, as I haven't ventured away from my island.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I've had some similar issues. They are often followed by major chunk errors as well. Disabling voxel helps some,(quite a lot actually), but does not entirely fix it. I guess that the voxel issue is actually a separate issue that becomes more apparent when both issues are lagging you hard at the same time.
I ended up re-genning my world, since i had just started. the new world seems to work fine now, so it must be something that had spawned in the affected area of the previous world.
This makes me wish that i had kept that world and turned it into a creative one, so that i could have dug around to find whatever the thing that causes the lag is.

XRuecian

Jul 29, 2019
I tried out the Mindcrack pack yesterday, and today. And i have also noticed much lower FPS than normal.
I have been playing on the FTB Beta pack for over a month with no FPS problems. I only have FPS issues when playing in a Mindcrack pack world.
Im fairly sure it isnt the trees, because those trees are all over the normal FTB beta pack and have never given me a problem before.
Its just overall jerky FPS, especially noticable when i am moving. It doesnt seem to matter where i am, or where i look.
SOMETHING in this pack is hurting my performance. I installed optifine, it helped a little, but even with lots and lots of tweaks i still couldnt get my FPS above
30-40. I have a feeling it could be the quartz crystals from Xycraft, since they generate light, and are buried EVERYWHERE underground, it could be causing lag.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same problem, first thing that crossed my mind was XYcraft aswell, after disabling it i noticed no difference in FPS at all (40FPS with drops to 20). Tried removing the XL biomes ==> no effect, tried the voxel mods ==> no effect. Moved minecraft to me SSD C drive ==> increased world loading speed. Disabled the minimap display ==> big FPS increase but drops are still there (50-60FPS drops to 30). Completly disabled the minimap mod ==> Another big FPS increase (50-120FPS), world loading speed increased and no more drops, sofar.

The minimap mod seems pretty terrible as far as performance goes. But even after that i still feel there is something else causing very small lagspikes when chunk loading. When the world is fully loaded i am at 90-110 FPS. As soon as i start moving and it needs to load new chunks it drops for a milisecond to 40FPS then "stabilizes" at 50-90FPS.

I might tinker around some more, maybe try adding optifine, see if that helps with annything.

Edit: After playing around some more i am still getting this problem tough it is defenitly reduced alot by disabling the minimap :\

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Are those quarts crystals generated in all biomes? I haven't had any issue in my current world, and i have mined out a fair share of those crystals.
only in one of maybe ten worlds generated have i had this lag issue.. (I've had some really bad luck with my spawns recently.. tonnes of ocean, endless thundra/alpine spawns and one really awful one in a wasteland that seemed to go on forever.
The spawn with the issue was quite similar to the one the mindcrackers have on their server. a large fairly flat savanna biome.

My current one had me in a hilly rainforest. I've set up base just outside the rainforest, in a green meadows biome. I sometimes get lagspikes when moving south, but I know that is an issue with the redwood forest over that way,(it's a very big one) and i intend to stay out of range of those giant trees most of the time. except for when i want to harvest some of them for their interesting log texture. (i really like the way you can have a wooden border that even turns corners.) the spikes from the forest are not even half as bad as those i had in the treeless savanna biome tho, so I know for sure that it has nothing to do with trees. Not even the giant Ygdrasil style oak trees give me much more than a slight hickup when they get loaded into the world, nothing more.

Going trough the mod's list there really aren't that many suspects. there is the Voxel stuff. music does cause lag when it loads, so disable that. it doesn't add anything of gameplay value, so disabling it is an easy decision.
there is xycraft, but I've seen tonnes of it's ores without lagging. but i tend to turn particles to low anyway. fire tends to lag me pretty hard even in vanilla. especially in the nether.

I have a strong suspicion that it might be thaumcraft making all that lag. it adds special spawners and stuff, and a lot of the items added uses special particle effects as well.
I'm beginning to think that there might be some kind of thaumcraft dungeon or something making all that lag.

XRuecian

Jul 29, 2019
The thaumcraft dungeons do not have any special particle effects that i am aware of. They only hold two zombie spawners (Maybe skeleton too?)
And they spawn wisps, if you are nearby. The wisps 'could' cause lag but they do not spawn unless you are near, and you would be able to hear them if they were spawning.

When i got into my world, i traveled 3000-4000 blocks to find a good location.
I was getting bad FPS the entire time. If it was a thaumcraft dungeon, i would expect the lag to be localized around specific areas, not such a broad area.

I do not think it is the minimap, as i have used this minimap for several months and never had a problem with it.

Try generating a world with thaumcraft disabled, see if anything is different.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft's lag would more likely come from Aura calculations and generating Nodes as you travel. No, they aren't rendered on your screen without the Goggles of Revealing, but some people have had performance trouble due to the aura mechanics.

XRuecian

Jul 29, 2019
I had also thought of the Aura, but i didnt think it would cause any FPS problems since its not rendered. But maybe it is rendered invisibly, until the goggles are put on, could still cause problems.