Migrating to a different drive

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

I want to migrate the Curse app and my game so far from a HDD to a SSD, and I'd be grateful for any tips and help, please?

I don't want to lose my game so far - what do I need to back up and keep to copy over to the new install site?

Presumably, after making that backup, it's just a case of uninstalling Curse, and then re-installing it to the SSD?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Unless it has changed since I downloaded it, the Curse/Twitch launcher downloads where it wants to with little you can say about it. You can alter where it downloads content, but the launcher itself didn't have much for options in the way of the actual launcher. May have changed by now.

If I were swapping over to a new drive, I would copy/paste the entire directory path where my Minecraft related things are, just to ensure I didn't screw anything up. Then once I knew it was working on the new drive, I would feel safer deleting it from the old drive.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
All you really need is the $InstanceName/saves directory. IE "FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.10/saves/
Once you have the Twitch client downloaded, go to Options/Minecraft. There is a bar at the top for "Minecraft Install Location".
Point this to the new drive then download the instance you want.
Start it up and let it fully load up.
Quit.
Copy the backed up saves directory back into place in it's new home.
Restart the instance and have fun.

I've done this a few times and have only lost my world once.

A

Anton_

[snip] I've done this a few times and have only lost my world once.
Cpt_gloval, thank you. I delayed implementing because I'm having other problems with the game and didn't want to rock the boat more than I could help.

The migration from the original HDD to the new SSD seems to have worked fine, using your advice.

Can I now delete the original Curse folder from the HDD?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Cpt_gloval, thank you. I delayed implementing because I'm having other problems with the game and didn't want to rock the boat more than I could help.

The migration from the original HDD to the new SSD seems to have worked fine, using your advice.

Can I now delete the original Curse folder from the HDD?

If you want to test it, rename or move the curse folder first then try and load the game. If it works, then you can get rid of the folder completely