MFR tree farm

Jacobbelveder

Jul 29, 2019
I have a lovely MFR tree farm set up & before this was providing all the saplings I needed and then some. now I updated my mod pack, and its all nice and shiny (DW20) and that mfr farm just isn't making anyway near as many saplings anymore, what gives? anyone else notice this? or is it just mine?

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019
I think it has something to do with the mod (Random Things I think) that causes leaf blocks to decay very quickly when they aren't connected to a wood block.

I was having an issue in Monster where I was testing a 3x3 tree farm and would come back to saplings all over the ground.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I think it has something to do with the mod (Random Things I think) that causes leaf blocks to decay very quickly when they aren't connected to a wood block.

I was having an issue in Monster where I was testing a 3x3 tree farm and would come back to saplings all over the ground.

I thought the MFR tree farms broke the leaf blocks first. Is the decay rate that much faster?

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
It appears that mfr has changed the way it harvest the wood. It appears to me to be harvesting in a sphere pattern and leaving behind some leaves. I have yet to figure out how this has affected the rate of sapling production if any.

On a side note. I'm hoping to setup 2 mfr tree farms for all. 16 colors of stained trees from project red. Does anyone know how long these take to grow? I can't seem to get any growth from them yet even with bonemeal. Trying to figure out if it would be worth the trouble of resources and energy production to do.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I thought the MFR tree farms broke the leaf blocks first. Is the decay rate that much faster?
They used to harvest leaves top-down and then wood top-down. Nowadays they seem to harvest the tree from the ground up, breaking both logs and leaves in roughly an expanding sphere. Some leaves will probably break before they are harvested. I haven't seen it happen in my world yet, I am on Magic Farm 2, so I don't think that mod or option is in.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
They used to harvest leaves top-down and then wood top-down. Nowadays they seem to harvest the tree from the ground up, breaking both logs and leaves in roughly an expanding sphere. Some leaves will probably break before they are harvested. I haven't seen it happen in my world yet, I am on Magic Farm 2, so I don't think that mod or option is in.

Well thats bunk

Reactions: Padfoote

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Only vaguely related note: MFR leaf shearing is insanely good. I dumped in 3 or 4 stacks of saplings (from my Steve's Carts tree farm; Carts are cool), and got back something like 17k leaves. 1 leaf = 1 Herba. Now I have dedicated Alchemical Furnaces (Furni?) for my Lamps of Growth in all my farms.

Reactions: Odovbold

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I have a 9x9 MFR Tree farm that keep me a steady supply of oak wood and produce MFR Biofuel from just the saplings (I know not very efficient but it works for now), will see if an update does break the system it means that it produce less saplings... Something does tell me MFR has nerfed the tree farms, every mod that allow farming of trees do it eventually to make sure no one can use a simple easy to build tree farm for all their power needs, will see soon, probably next weekend I'll do the update on my server and see what happens...

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 9x9 MFR Tree farm that keep me a steady supply of oak wood and produce MFR Biofuel from just the saplings (I know not very efficient but it works for now), will see if an update does break the system it means that it produce less saplings... Something does tell me MFR has nerfed the tree farms, every mod that allow farming of trees do it eventually to make sure no one can use a simple easy to build tree farm for all their power needs, will see soon, probably next weekend I'll do the update on my server and see what happens...

It's always funny to me when things get nerf'd but it only means people will need to build a bigger version of the thing that got nerf'd to accomplish the same thing. Glad I havent started one, or I'd be really annoyed to reassess my build.

Reactions: RedBoss

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
It's always funny to me when things get nerf'd but it only means people will need to build a bigger version of the thing that got nerf'd to accomplish the same thing. Glad I havent started one, or I'd be really annoyed to reassess my build.

If he nerfed it like its described here, I really think the size of the tree farm won't matter, he made sure of that by choosing a supposedly optimized method of chopping down the trees which maybe optimized for performance which is really nice for server owners, but not for reliability and max production which is bad for players that rely on them... I'm really starting to believe that any performance optimized mod are becoming useless once they are optimized by the modder since the optimization take away all the production and reliability...

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I was having trouble harvesting enough saplings (13x13 oak tree farm) and ended up removing about 60% of the dirt blocks. This prevented the extremely dense wall-o-tree-trunks from forming, which would cause a big reduction in leaves and thus saplings. My sapling drops have improved dramatically.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
I was having trouble harvesting enough saplings (13x13 oak tree farm) and ended up removing about 60% of the dirt blocks. This prevented the extremely dense wall-o-tree-trunks from forming, which would cause a big reduction in leaves and thus saplings. My sapling drops have improved dramatically.

Never thinked about this, in Vanilla play, I had a tree farm and always made sure the trees were spaced at least 3 blocks between each otherwise I would end up with not enough saplings to replant the farm after awhile, question is does a planter needs all dirt to work or will it work if the terrain is divided with bricks or stones...

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
It works fine with mixed terrain blocks and simply plants on what dirt is there.

Well, time to redesign my tree farm, will probably boost it to the largest size at the same time to make sure I got the same production rate, my first design was early game, now that I have all the ressources I need, getting the biggest upgrade shouldn't be a problem anymore, same thing for power since I have a mix of power sources now... I'll also try to do a good design...