MFR Tree Farm -> Fps Drop

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
So I am using a MFR planter/harvester combo to grow trees and use the wood to create power (turned into charcoal first) but I keep having lag and FPS drops whenever the harvester cuts down a tree, even when I am not looking at the tree. I have allocated 8GB RAM from the FTB launcher, but it does not help. This is the only thing that causes any kind of lag on my single player world. Any help?
Additional Info:
Modpack -> Monster pack for MC 1.6.4
Sphax Texture Pack Installed
Changing graphics (from Ingame options) to fast does not help
I am running "Max FPS" from options

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that more or less RAM will impact the FPS drop from a tree farm significantly. I think your best bet is tou build it somewhere away from your base, outside of the render distance. Building the farm in the middle of a chunk (as opposed to on the edge or the corner) might help as well.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
There was a bad version of MFR which altered the way leaf blocks were broken and did in a inside to outside fashion. Nothing you will do can alter it as it was fixed in a later version of MFR, other than not use it at all.

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that more or less RAM will impact the FPS drop from a tree farm significantly. I think your best bet is tou build it somewhere away from your base, outside of the render distance. Building the farm in the middle of a chunk (as opposed to on the edge or the corner) might help as well.
If I build it outside of render distance, wouldn't that mean that the treefarm would not function? Doesn't an automated system need to be within a loaded chunk in order to function?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
If I build it outside of render distance, wouldn't that mean that the treefarm would not function? Doesn't an automated system need to be within a loaded chunk in order to function?

IIRC, no, yes. If it's out of your render distance but being chunkloaded, it should still run.

Again, all of this is if I'm remembering how MC works correctly.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Its a problem with the way MFR destroy blocks when sounds are enabled. Its well known and the config now actually points it out. Disable MFR's sound and your problem should go away.

Code:
general {
  # Set to false to disable various sounds and aprticle effects, such as when a block is harvested.
  B:playSounds=false
}

Last edited:
Reactions: SolManX and rhn

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yea, else the harvester will not only play sounds but also generate particles.

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, turning off the sounds seems to have helped, thanks :)
However, I am also noticing that the harvester does not collect all the saplings from a tree. Some of them are gathered normally and go into my pipe system, but some just end up falling on the ground.
Am I doing something wrong?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Thats something to do with leaf blocks decaying/breaking outside the harvester radius [I think??]- if its annoying/lagging you then Thaumcraft's golems are pretty neat.

I've found vacuum hoppers work quite well for this. In monster, there are TONs of ways to deal with it, though. RotaryCraft fans, conveyor belts, hungry chests, golems, etc. Or you could build the whole farm over a lake of lava and let em burn.

On a MFR tree farm related question, do dye trees work with MFR? I like that dye trees grow with random woods in the trunk and wanted to automate collection, but I'm away from home and can't test it.

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
I've found vacuum hoppers work quite well for this. In monster, there are TONs of ways to deal with it, though. RotaryCraft fans, conveyor belts, hungry chests, golems, etc. Or you could build the whole farm over a lake of lava and let em burn.

On a MFR tree farm related question, do dye trees work with MFR? I like that dye trees grow with random woods in the trunk and wanted to automate collection, but I'm away from home and can't test it.

Considering the fact that the Planter and Harvester doesn't work with Canola plants, its safe to say that, no it won't work, however turtles will work.

Reactions: Padfoote

FInaldeath

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed MFR tree farms being super laggy as well, i have since switched to Ender io farms for both trees and crops, only problem with them is making sure i have backup axes and hoes ready to get sent into the farms when they run out. One of the Ender io's bonuses is not having to deal with the straggler saplings since it cuts the entire tree including leaves instantly.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed MFR tree farms being super laggy as well, i have since switched to Ender io farms for both trees and crops, only problem with them is making sure i have backup axes and hoes ready to get sent into the farms when they run out. One of the Ender io's bonuses is not having to deal with the straggler saplings since it cuts the entire tree including leaves instantly.

I watched Direwolf20's latest Forgecraft vid yesterday - and crazypants (ender io creator) told him to craft wooden axes with Ender IO crafters as part of the system.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I watched Direwolf20's latest Forgecraft vid yesterday - and crazypants (ender io creator) told him to craft wooden axes with Ender IO crafters as part of the system.

He should include an ignious extruder and make stone axes instead! Saves planks and uses less sticks in the long run :D

Reactions: SolManX

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
And less energy for the crafting. From the video it looks like the generator is barely able to keep up.

Reactions: SolManX

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
He should include an ignious extruder and make stone axes instead! Saves planks and uses less sticks in the long run :D

I quite like the all-in ender io solution (my current favourite mod) and I've never had to conserve sticks before :cool: