MFR Harvesters losing seeds?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gmoff01

Jul 29, 2019
I have a small 5x5 wheat farm set up with a MFR planter and harvester. The harvester pipes its seeds pack into the planter. However over time it seems to slowly lose the seeds that are necessary to replant, and eventually the system fails entirely with no seeds to replant. This didnt seem to a be a problem early on, and I had multiple stacks of seeds. Is it a function of the harvester filling with sludge, maybe? I've just been letting the tank sit full, do I need to pipe it out?

Thanks!

P46EY

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah Im pretty sure the harvester stops running if it fills with sludge (although Ive never actually tried it). My farms are set up to dump the sludge into a sludge boiler and I have a huge excess of seeds now (16k I think as my single squeezer cant keep up).

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Sludge in the internal tank has no effect whatsoever. Not sure why you're losing seeds though. Maybe put up a pic of your setup?

Gmoff01

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the setup. About as simple as it gets. The seeds are piped down into the planter, the wheat out the back. In the real game theres a breeder there.

y94e.png
Sludge in the internal tank has no effect whatsoever. Not sure why you're losing seeds though. Maybe put up a pic of your setup?

P46EY

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know as I also seem to have an excess of fertilizer now too ;)

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
No idea why you're losing any then.

E: But if you're just after wheat then plant the wheat seeds on IC2 crop sticks and they require no replanting.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I know in the past BC pipes had the problem of dropping items upon reloading the world, I don't know if that has been properly fixed already, but that might be the problem.
you could test it out by using a wooden golem that collects anything that drops, put it down below with a chest and check back after reloading the world, reloading chunks and just waiting for a few hours and see if the golem picked up anything

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I know in the past BC pipes had the problem of dropping items upon reloading the world, I don't know if that has been properly fixed already, but that might be the problem.
you could test it out by using a wooden golem that collects anything that drops, put it down below with a chest and check back after reloading the world, reloading chunks and just waiting for a few hours and see if the golem picked up anything

It would have to be something like this or maybe another mod reducing the number of seeds being produced. Normally, I'd expect such a farm to produce so many excess seeds that the planter would be constantly full and excess would be shooting out the end of the pipe when it bounces off the full inventory on a regular basis.

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
The other concern, if the screenshot is an exact replica, is light levels.

If in sufficient light levels, the seeds will be planted, then pop off, and another will be planted, only to pop off etc...
Check the light levels are sufficient for all blocks on the planting platform.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The other concern, if the screenshot is an exact replica, is light levels.

If in sufficient light levels, the seeds will be planted, then pop off, and another will be planted, only to pop off etc...
Check the light levels are sufficient for all blocks on the planting platform.

This is a BIG problem with MFR farms even saplings which get covered by trees and logs pop out of the ground a lot, because of lack of light.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
I consider it a trade off. One the one hand you get super fast farms cheap that can use fertilizer to max your output. However its lossy. IE some of the saplings/seeds get popped off and are lost. You should still have a surplus though in the end of the day.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The other issue with MFR tree farms is that the way it cuts the trees (in areas rather than whole trees) it cuts off tree trunks and can leave the leaves (at the farm edges) until a later cut. This causes the leaves to naturally decay and drop saplings on the floor which MFR wont pick up. Nothing a couple of wooden golems can't put right mind you.

Reactions: Grydian2

Gmoff01

Jul 29, 2019
The farm is under open sky and is chunkloaded, so world loading and light shouldnt be an issue. I sat and watched it for a while last night and when seeds popped up they just sat on the farm without being collected. I dont think that happens EVERY time, but apparently often enough...

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
The seeds should never pop off and be visible on the ground, the harvester should instantly/invisibly gather the seeds when it cuts the plants.

Question : The image shows your farm is a 5x5; Have you upgraded your harvester to cover at least a +2 area?

/edit
Question 2 : Where is your wheat going? I see a diamond pipe but no branching pipe to carry off the wheat.

/edit /edit :D

Question 3: is the ground saying "hoed" ? I don't see where a water block would be, unless it is above your planter?

Gmoff01

Jul 29, 2019
The seeds should never pop off and be visible on the ground, the harvester should instantly/invisibly gather the seeds when it cuts the plants.

Question : The image shows your farm is a 5x5; Have you upgraded your harvester to cover at least a +2 area?

/edit
Question 2 : Where is your wheat going? I see a diamond pipe but no branching pipe to carry off the wheat.

It is upgraded, yes. As mentioned above, in the actual map the diamond pipe also leads to a breeder, which is where the wheat goes.

So I've found what I believe to be the root cause of the problem, though it doesnt explain why seeds will sometimes still just sit in place.

Pure, simple, BLATANT user error. I went back to the actual map and dug around everything underneath and there was an errant cobble pipe sticking off in a random direction where it wasnt visible from my normal approach. So, half the seeds were just being spit out underground. Like I said, it doesnt explain why the seeds sometimes dont get sucked up, but I imagine it will be self sufficient now.

Thank you all for your input, nonetheless :)

Reactions: AlanEsh

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
It is upgraded, yes. As mentioned above, in the actual map the diamond pipe also leads to a breeder, which is where the wheat goes.

So I've found what I believe to be the root cause of the problem, though it doesnt explain why seeds will sometimes still just sit in place.

Pure, simple, BLATANT user error. I went back to the actual map and dug around everything underneath and there was an errant cobble pipe sticking off in a random direction where it wasnt visible from my normal approach. So, half the seeds were just being spit out underground. Like I said, it doesnt explain why the seeds sometimes dont get sucked up, but I imagine it will be self sufficient now.

Thank you all for your input, nonetheless :)

You know, it is this kind of troubleshooting work you have to do that makes Tech-themed modded MineCraft fun for me.

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
I use for MFR planter AE fuzzy export bus. I leave 2 spots free for the items i want to plant and the rest i fill with dirt/ cobblestone in planter. Also i use level emitter for squeezer for staying in the network 4 stacks of seeds or for fermenter if i use saplings. Simple and very efficient.