MFR Auto-Spawner spends mob essence but doesnt spawn?

Pastortom

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, Ive been using soulshard mod awhile back, and they always worked great for me, even if I wasnt in the base (with tier 5) since it was chunkloaded.

But with MFR, Im having huge difficulties here,

it seems that whenever I leave the base, even if its chunkloaded, mob essence wastes and no mobs are grinded for new mob essence.

My setup is this: 4 Large Slime (exact copy) Auto-Spawners, if I stand close to it, it increases my 20 mill steel tank with mob essence at a relatively fast rate, but if I leave the base for a short duration, it decreases..

Its like the auto-spawner still spends mob essence to spawn, but nothing spawns?

I have no clue..

Is it me thats doing something wrong here? Or is this intentional by the modpack? Soulshards are disabled on the server Im playing on, so this is the only way for me. Im using the gathered mob essence to spawn witch/endermen/zombie pigmen etc.

I thought chunkloaders worked with auto-spawner? Or is it necessary to actually hug the spawner for anything to work at all?

So frustrating! :(

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing the problem is that the mobs are spawning, then instantly despawning because no one is within range - I forget how far away you can get before this occurs, but it should have affected your soul shard spawners in the same way. One potential solution is to set up your spawner system in another dimension - that definitely works for soul shard, at least.

Pastortom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing the problem is that the mobs are spawning, then instantly despawning because no one is within range - I forget how far away you can get before this occurs, but it should have affected your soul shard spawners in the same way. One potential solution is to set up your spawner system in another dimension - that definitely works for soul shard, at least.

In another dimension? You mean like a mystcraft age?

If I create a void age only for mob essence it can run with chunkloader even though Im not there? :D

Tried this with a jailers net?

Jailers net requires normal safari-net in its recipe, which cant be used in a Auto-Spawner, right? Ive only managed to use a normal Reuseable safari net in there.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I think the slimes that spawn when the large ones get killed despawn because you're not around. You're better off finding another way to get mob essence anyway; the slime 'exploit' will get fixed soon.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Jailers net requires normal safari-net in its recipe, which cant be used in a Auto-Spawner, right? Ive only managed to use a normal Reuseable safari net in there.
The item used in a recipe to craft another item is irrelevant. The Jailer's Safari Net prevents the mob that is placed from it from de-spawning. It does not have any effect on mobs spawned from an AutoSpawner. If you were to use a JSN on one of those spawned mobs and then place the mob, then it would not de-spawn, but that means you would have to be around all the time catching and releasing every mob. So the JSN is irrelevant to mob spawning.

Grey_Ghost

Jul 29, 2019
I hope this is a worthy Necro...

Use a Jailers Safari Net to capture a mob, then release that mob & recapture that exact same mob again with a Reusable Safari net. Using that in an Auto-Spawner with "Spawn Exact Copy" will spawn a mob that will not despawn if there are no players close by.

This is the only method of absentee mob grinding that I know of. I'd be glad to know of any others.

EDIT: Apparently this method might only be needed if your Mob Grinder is in the same dimension that you (or another player?) are in.
For example... if I build a Mob Grinder in the Nether with just a normal spawned Enderman Reusable Safari Net with Exact Copy set to No, then it won't grind any mobs if I move too far away from it. However if I return to the Overworld the grinder will keep working, even though nobody is in the Nether. Even after moving over 2000+m from the portal the grinder was next to, it continued to Grind Mobs.

I haven't tested it with any other dimension yet besides the Nether. I hope this helps someone, as I've had a heck of a tough time searching for info on this stuff myself.

Last edited:

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I hope this is a worthy Necro...

Use a Jailers Safari Net to capture a mob, then release that mob & recapture that exact same mob again with a Reusable Safari net. Using that in an Auto-Spawner with "Spawn Exact Copy" will spawn a mob that will not despawn if there are no players close by.
Wow. Yes. That was worth a necro. Like like like like like.

Reactions: PierceSG

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Nice workaround :) Gotta try this out myself too.

And you're right about the dimensions, it works as you described and also works for Mystcraft ages.

This is because mobs despawn when you move away about 128 blocks but this mechanic stops working when there is nobody in the dimension. So your Nether spawner works as long as nobody enters the nether and is more then 128 blocks away from your spawner.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Nice workaround :) Gotta try this out myself too.

And you're right about the dimensions, it works as you described and also works for Mystcraft ages.

This is because mobs despawn when you move away about 128 blocks but this mechanic stops working when there is nobody in the dimension. So your Nether spawner works as long as nobody enters the nether and is more then 128 blocks away from your spawner.

I think it also matters that you leave the dimension within 128 blocks of the spawner as well. I have heard that this works with logging off as well as leaving the dimension (so long as other players are not logged into said dimension). Great for void age bases.