Melee turtles not working?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to upgrade my blaze farm to being an xp farm as well. I was using DW's setup as a guide. But I programed the turtles yet they don't attack anything. Is there something i'm doing wrong? Here's the video i'm using.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Is there something i'm doing wrong?

The video isn't going to be able to help us know if your setup, specifically, is at fault. First off, test if the turtles are able to attack by standing in front of one (make sure you can get away quickly as they WILL hit you) with some armor on so they don't kill you.

If they hit you, then they are working, so it is an issue with flow of mobs to get close enough to them. Post screenshots of your setup, then. If they do not hit you, post a screenshot of your code.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that turtle attacks have an extremely short range. Even if a mob is standing in the block directly in front of a turtle, it might be too far away. They really have to be pressed right up against the turtle for it to be able to hit them.

DragonSpirit12

Jul 29, 2019
Im using the same setup the problem im having is the turtles dont show the os line after i put in the startup script so it sits there. im sure its because i have no idea what im doing but so far i cant find a solution

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
I think there have been a few bugs with melee turtles recently, but like Guswut said, screenshots would be nice.

DragonSpirit12

Jul 29, 2019
2013-03-19_013754.png

first accessing the turtle
2013-03-19_013855.png

edit startup command
2013-03-19_013930.png

putting in the attack program then saved and exited
2013-03-19_013957.png

and this is what i get in DW20's video it went back to the turtle os screen mine goes blank ideas?

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
Umm, either reset the turtle (CTRL+R, hold it for moment) and the startip program will start or just type "startup" and hit ENTER to start it manually. It seems you just make the program, never start it...

DaWhiskers

Jul 29, 2019
put a sleep command in the program within the loop, minimum of sleep(0.1)

a longer sleep will make the turtle attack less frequently, but cause less lag.

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
put a sleep command in the program within the loop, minimum of sleep(0.1)

a longer sleep will make the turtle attack less frequently, but cause less lag.

A really nice way to do it that I saw recently posted was this:

Code:
while true do
 if NOT turtle.attack() then
  sleep(0.2)
 end
end

So the turtle attacks as fast as possible, but when it cannot hit anything, it waits a fifth of a second then tries again.

Reactions: DaWhiskers

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
A really nice way to do it that I saw recently posted was this:

Code:
while true do
if NOT turtle.attack() then
  sleep(0.2)
end
end

So the turtle attacks as fast as possible, but when it cannot hit anything, it waits a fifth of a second then tries again.

With water pushing them toward the turtle you can use a pressure plate infront of the turtle to activate it.
Code:
while true do
 if not turtle.attack() and not rs.getInput("front") then
      os.pullEvent("redstone")
 end
end
Fastest attack speed -- sleeps until a red stone signal wakes it up. When it fails an attack and the pressure plate is off it will sleep until a redstone signal wakes it up again.

To drop them down a pit to a killing turtle you can just line the wall opposite the turtle with covers and mobs will always be in range.
Pit test:
RWzgFUU.jpg

Reactions: Guswut

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
In the latest version of CC melee turtles have been modified to have a larger attack range.