ME spatial storage...disappointing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
So I thought to experiment with this, having a need to move my aura nodes. I built all the expensive stuff required, built the structure and gave it the couple of million RF it wanted.

The result: some stuff vanished, namely the stone foundation and some standard building blocks, and the compound recharge focus on the recharging pedestal. What didn't vanish was the important part: the aura nodes and the recharging pedestal itself. Well, I almost expected non-solid blocks to remain unaffected, so that was no big surprise, but that the recharging pedestal didn't vanish was unexpected and makes me suspect that I won't be able to store machines with this.

Has anyone here experimented with this and can clarify the matter?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I believe there is a config option to add blocks to the whitelist for spatial storage. Don't quote me on this, however, as I can't remember for sure if it's a config or some code that mod authors need to add.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, from what I recall, the default response for a block that it doesn't know is to not move it. It was a decision made to prevent it from messing with bits of mods.

Reactions: Padfoote

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah, from what I recall, the default response for a block that it doesn't know is to not move it. It was a decision made to prevent it from messing with bits of mods.
I can't say I disagree with that decision, but some documentation about how to change it would be nice. There's nothing immediately visible in the config. I'm asking on the official thread.

In the meantime, I'll be moving my stuff with MFFS.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I can't say I disagree with that decision, but some documentation about how to change it would be nice. There's nothing immediately visible in the config. I'm asking on the official thread.
If there's nothing in the config, then I'm not sure that YOU can change it. Remembering back to the DW20 spotlight, I think he said that it was down to mod authors to opt in to it in an api.

Reactions: Padfoote

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
me spatial storage... I always hoped this could be used as a way of mining through Applied Energistics... you'd pick up a whole area and store it in a disc, you export any of the blocks you want and place the area back into the world

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
me spatial storage... I always hoped this could be used as a way of mining through Applied Energistics... you'd pick up a whole area and store it in a disc, you export any of the blocks you want and place the area back into the world
Can't be done. You can't export single blocks from a spatial storage module. Anyway the logistics of such a mining operation would be complicated, it would be very tricky to automate, and the power cost prohibitive. Storing a 3x5x5 area cost me about 2 MRF, and that with enough pylons to push efficiency to 93% (you reach 100% when every (side) wall of the containment structure consists of alternating pylon/cable blocks).

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Can't be done. You can't export single blocks from a spatial storage module. Anyway the logistics of such a mining operation would be complicated, it would be very tricky to automate, and the power cost prohibitive. Storing a 3x5x5 area cost me about 2 MRF, and that with enough pylons to push efficiency to 93% (you reach 100% when every (side) wall of the containment structure consists of alternating pylon/cable blocks).

imagine being able to also replace certain blocks with others. you could completely remove any type of ore from an area and replace it all with stone.
perhaps you could even configure it so any caves would get filled up with stone so an area would be completely filled upto the surface
I wouldn't care if it'd be expensive or not, it'd be a pretty cool way of configuring a specified area

Reactions: CyricV and Padfoote

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
imagine being able to also replace certain blocks with others. you could completely remove any type of ore from an area and replace it all with stone.
perhaps you could even configure it so any caves would get filled up with stone so an area would be completely filled upto the surface
I wouldn't care if it'd be expensive or not, it'd be a pretty cool way of configuring a specified area

You can. Wand of equal trade :D

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Could also be interesting for making a base better (cobble > pretty block replace), or if you could tile a block pattern.

Also, does it work on the interesting vanilla creations, like the End portal? Do Nether portals retain their end-points? There are quite a few things that could be interesting about it.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You can. Wand of equal trade :D

try reading my post again, you'll realize that doing this with a wand of equal trade is pretty useless...
I'm talking about doing a thing like this on several chunks at once, doing that with a wand of equal trade... well, good luck

I guess you could compare my suggestion with a program like MCEdit, where you can use the program to replace a block type in a certain area in the world with another type of block.
but with this you'd be able to do it in a survival world using Applied Energistics, ofcourse for a high price

you'd be able to take out any ores out of an area that's several chunks wide, replace the ores with stone, and fill up caves and liquid pools with stone aswell.
I guess you could compare it with the digital miner of Mekanism or the buildcraft filler

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The Mekanism digital miner already does that. You can specify to mine ore X in a specified radius and there is an option to replace mined blocks with others. I'm looking forward to that. And the BC filler will fill all air blocks in an area.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ae-spatial-ic2-mining-apparatus-mark-ii-asima-2.46317/

^ They cheated and set the efficiency multiplier to 1.0. But with that, it does make sense.

Narc

Jul 29, 2019
LOL. I should know better than to say "Can't be done" about *anything* where modded Minecraft is involved. Still, you do need 100000 Energy Cells, which *is* prohibitive as I said.
Feasible, but tedious, yes. And that's with spatial pylon efficiency taken completely out of the equation. Technically one could even make up for that, but... why?