ME Interface from Applied Energistics

Dark_Arkon

Jul 29, 2019
I am looking for a way to make any chest function like an ME Interface from Applied Energistics. I want to be able to tell it exactily what to have in it and how much, and if anything else is put in the chest that item will be pulled out into the ME system. I know that the ME Interface does all of this, but my wife would rather the asthetic look of the chests and I would like to have more then 8 different items in a chest. I know that you can use the ME Interface to pipe items in and out of the system so I can pipe items from the interface into the chest and then have another pipe black list all those items and suck out anything thats not supposed to be in the chest. But I don't know of a pipe that can dictate exactly how much of that item it will keep supplied in that chest.

Any idea's on how to make a normal chest function like an ME Interface?

fishille

Jul 29, 2019
I'm probably the least qualified to come up with a complicated answer, but a simple aesthetic solution is to essentially retexture the interface to look like a chest. Though you lose the animation. If its doable I'm sure someone will have a more complex solution.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
There are a few ways to do this. The only way that just uses AE is to make a supplier sub-network. Basically, make a second ME network that has a storage bus attached to the chest and one level emitter per item you want to keep stocked, they should be set to output redstone when there isn't enough of their item in the subnetwork (which will only be the chest). Then use those level emitters to control export buses connected to your main network to supply the chest.

Another method is to use translocators, set the ME interface to keep the items stocked then use a translocator to move the items into the chest. Adding a diamond nugget to a translocator sets it to regulate mode so it will only let the specified number of items into the inventory it is attached to.

Yet another option is to use logistics pipes. A provider pipe on an ME interface lets the pipes pull items from the ME network and a basic pipe set to default route will send any items in the lp network to the interface to be stored. Then put a supplier pipe on the chest to keep it stocked and add a chassis pipe with an extractor module set to blacklist the items you want to keep stocked.

EDIT: Another option is to use extra utilities transfer nodes with rationing pipes.

Dark_Arkon

Jul 29, 2019
I like that translocator method, that way i can use a storage bus and the chest will still act as part of the system, although i dont think the translocator will pull items out of the chest that arnt supposed to be there but thats fine.

Thanks for the help guys.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
I like that translocator method, that way i can use a storage bus and the chest will still act as part of the system, although i dont think the translocator will pull items out of the chest that arnt supposed to be there but thats fine.

Thanks for the help guys.
I think that will be your best bet. You may need to utilize the export only setting on your me interface to keep it from storing other items in it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
There's a video of Direwolf20 setting it up here (25:40 in case it doesn't go straight there). I can't remember if import busses can have blacklists, if they can't you could use an item duct to pull other stuff out.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use BC facades to camo the interface (if it doesn't absolutely need to be a chest). Personally I had a couple of them hidden as book shelves in my magic area in my previous world =)

Reactions: madnewmy