MCDT - Minecraft Forge plugin for Eclipse

Discussion in 'Mod Development' started by immibis, May 8, 2015.

1. immibis

immibis New Member

Download: add http://immibis.com/mcdt/ as an update site to Eclipse, then install "MCDT - Basic Forge Plugin"¹. I developed this on Eclipse Luna, so you should probably have at least that version.

This adds a few things to Eclipse:

• A "New Minecraft Forge mod project" wizard:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• A convenient way to compile with Forge: (of course the wizard does this, but for existing projects you can add it via "Add Library..." on the Java Build Path settings page)
      [​IMG]

• A convenient way to launch Forge mods. The wizard sets this up for you as well. (this is test data, so ignore that my ones are horribly named)

[​IMG]

• And a convenient way to reobfuscate mods. Access this by right-clicking a project and selecting "Export...". This uses BON for obfuscation, not ForgeGradle, so report any problems to me.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Note: If the selected Forge version hasn't already been set up in ForgeGradle, it will invoke ForgeGradle to decompile Minecraft for you, which takes a while (allow 5-15 minutes). This is the same as if you run it from the command line. At the moment, this blocks every other Eclipse job, so I suggest finding something else to do while you wait.

Also note: the first time you launch with a particular Forge version, the plugin will invoke ForgeGradle again to download native libraries. This is much faster and better-behaved, but still something to be aware of.

Report bugs and suggest features in this thread.

¹ MCDT was going to be a horrendously big and complicated thing, then I realized that 5% of the features would give you 50% of the usefulness, hence why this is the "basic" version.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Mark Jacobs, xbony2, RedBoss and 8 others like this.
  2. chbachman

chbachman Guest

You have no idea how much I love you right now. <3

May I ask what the other 95% of the features are going to be in the full version?

3. immibis

immibis New Member

It was going to be a completely GUI-based mod maker thing, like Unity/GameMaker/etc but for mods. So generating as much code as possible for you, and hiding it behind something friendlier (lots of behind-the-scenes things were randomly generated, like language entry names).

But that's totally unnecessary for people who already know how to make mods, and a ton of work. So it's unlikely to happen, unless I have a lot of free time and nothing to do for some reason later.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    xbony2 and RedBoss like this.
  4. downslope7

downslope7 New Member

This looks absolutely amazing but I'm having a bit of difficulty getting it to work on OS X. I have no issues running gradlew setupDecompWorkspace on a minecraft forge mod from the command line but when I attempt to create a project using your plugin in eclipse I get this stack trace:

Code:
    === GRADLE setupDecompWorkspace FAILED ===
    Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: null/lib/tzdb.dat (No such file or directory)
    	at sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfoFile$1.run(ZoneInfoFile.java:261)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfoFile.<clinit>(ZoneInfoFile.java:251)
    	at sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo.getTimeZone(ZoneInfo.java:589)
    	at java.util.TimeZone.getTimeZone(TimeZone.java:560)
    	at java.util.TimeZone.setDefaultZone(TimeZone.java:666)
    	at java.util.TimeZone.getDefaultRef(TimeZone.java:636)
    	at java.util.Date.<init>(Date.java:254)
    	at java.util.zip.ZipUtils.dosToJavaTime(ZipUtils.java:74)
    	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.getZipEntry(ZipFile.java:570)
    	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.getEntry(ZipFile.java:313)
    	at java.util.jar.JarFile.getEntry(JarFile.java:240)
    	at java.util.jar.JarFile.getJarEntry(JarFile.java:223)
    	at sun.misc.JarIndex.getJarIndex(JarIndex.java:134)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader$1.run(URLClassPath.java:839)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader$1.run(URLClassPath.java:831)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.ensureOpen(URLClassPath.java:830)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$JarLoader.<init>(URLClassPath.java:803)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$3.run(URLClassPath.java:530)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath$3.run(URLClassPath.java:520)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(URLClassPath.java:519)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getLoader(URLClassPath.java:492)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getNextLoader(URLClassPath.java:457)
    	at sun.misc.URLClassPath.getResource(URLClassPath.java:211)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:365)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:362)
    	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:361)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:411)
    	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:331)
    	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
    	at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:495)
    Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: null/lib/tzdb.dat (No such file or directory)
    	at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
    	at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
    	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
    	at sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfoFile$1.run(ZoneInfoFile.java:255)
    	... 34 more

I'm running the jdk1.8.0_45 and Eclipse Luna SR2 4.4.2.

5. immibis

immibis New Member

Can you try this as a workaround and report back? Evidently, starting Java works differently on OSX than from Windows, and MCDT is trying to do it the wrong way.

6. chbachman

chbachman Guest

I had the same problem, tried the workaround, and failed. The stacktrace is the same, and just to show I tried the workaround:

Code:
    chbachman-MacBook-Pro:~ chbachman$ printenv

JAVA_HOME=/usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.7

_=/usr/bin/printenv

7. immibis

immibis New Member

Try updating. Now it should look at your "Installed JREs" settings (in Eclipse) to figure out how to run Gradle. (I don't have a Mac to test on)

If you don't have JDK 7 or 8 set up in Eclipse (since Eclipse oddly enough doesn't require a JDK, but Gradle does), you'll get an error. In that case, go to Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs and add the JDK.

chbachman likes this.
  8. xbony2

xbony2 WikiWorker Wiki Staff FTB Mod Dev

Kind of a late reply, sorry :3 this is great.

Can you make it so .lang files on default open as a Properties File? That's what they are, as far as I know.

9. immibis

immibis New Member

Small update: There's now a checkbox, in the options of a Forge launch configuration, to reobfuscate before running. This is extremely useful for testing with other mods. It's surprisingly fast, too.

Note: it reobfuscates to SRG, not fully, so a very small number of mods that don't use SRG names won't load.

Also note: it breaks the debugger a bit, since method/field names don't match between the source code and what's actually running.

10. RulerjdogYT

RulerjdogYT New Member

Having Issues installing the main package. None of the other versions work either. Using Eclipse Luna x64 on Windows 8.1 (It's bad, I know.)

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
    session context was:(profile=epp.package.jee, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
    Problems downloading artifact: osgi.bundle,20E842C0-E101-35FD-A39C-E059B1BC43D4,1.2.7.
    Error reading signed content:C:\Users\Jameson\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile8962909674311030321.jar
    An error occurred while processing the signatures for the file: C:\Users\Jameson\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile8962909674311030321.jar
    Problems downloading artifact: org.eclipse.update.feature,com.immibis.mcdt.basic_forge_feature,1.0.4.
    Error reading signed content:C:\Users\Jameson\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile3903279790628006067.jar
    An error occurred while processing the signatures for the file: C:\Users\Jameson\AppData\Local\Temp\signatureFile3903279790628006067.jar