MC 1.10 released?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
1.7 -> 1.8 -> 1.9 -> 1.10

Modded Minecraft now FOUR versions behind. Okay, maybe my math is bad and you can claim it's only three versions. Whoop-de-doo. "Patience, grasshopper..."

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
A few observations about 1.10:

1). Decent FPS. My video card is a couple of generations old (GT610) and I'm seeing a steady ~50 FPS.

2). Seemingly improved memory usage. Using the Mojang launcher via Curse launcher, and Mojang's managed JRE, the highest memory usage I saw was 705MB (out of 4GB allocated).

While I didn't stick around long in game, I did make it to a mid-sized village where I checked the above.

If you are interested in looking at 1.10 you can do so via Curse using the following procedure:

1. Open the launcher. Select "Create Custom Profile"
2. Enter a unique profile name in the "Profile Name" box. I use "Vanilla"
3. In the "Version" box the default is currently 1.7.10. Click the drop arrow and select the newest version available (currently 1.9.4)
4. In the "Modloader" box click the drop arrow, scroll to the top of the list of Forge versions and select "None"
5. Click the "Okay" button to save the profile.

In order to run 1.10, select your new profile. This will evoke the Mojang launcher. Until 1.10 is configured as a selection in Curse profiles you will have to manually edit the profile using the "Edit Profile" button in the lower left corner. Select the drop arrow and scroll to the top of the list and select "1.10", then save the profile. This will have to be done manually each time as the Curse profile doesn't actually change and overloads the Mojang config.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
1.7 -> 1.8 -> 1.9 -> 1.10

Modded Minecraft now FOUR versions behind. Okay, maybe my math is bad and you can claim it's only three versions. Whoop-de-doo. "Patience, grasshopper..."

I count Five versions: 1.7.10, 1.8.9, 1.9, 1.9.4 and 1.10. I include 1.9 and 1.9.4 separately as there are mods at 1.9 that are not yet available at 1.9.4 :D

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Removed Herobrine
Nice to know Herobrine is still plaguing us.

If it is the full 1.10 update, I think it is the fastest version release since 1.7.4 beta.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Nice to know Herobrine is still plaguing us.

If it is the full 1.10 update, I think it is the fastest version release since 1.7.4 beta.

Well from that change list, I guess I can see why. Perhaps "structure blocks" will be very exciting for Adventure Map creators, I dunno because I never have played "custom maps" to my knowledge. But other than that, they seem to have just added some more "stuff" that really doesn't do anything... polar bears and fossils? Maybe the gold deposits in Mesa biome abandoned mineshafts is a big deal, but that's not really the same as adding underwater temples IMO. As "major" updates go, this sure does appear to be an awfully minor one. So forget 1.10, let's just concentrate on 1.9 mods now and get the snowball rollin' downhill... I think we just need CoFH to get up to speed, not that I intend to pick on them, but their Thermal Expansion machines are sort of my own "guidepost" as to which version is truly the "current" one for us players. If TE is only at 1.7.10, then so is the community-at-large. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Well from that change list, I guess I can see why. Perhaps "structure blocks" will be very exciting for Adventure Map creators, I dunno because I never have played "custom maps" to my knowledge. But other than that, they seem to have just added some more "stuff" that really doesn't do anything... polar bears and fossils? Maybe the gold deposits in Mesa biome abandoned mineshafts is a big deal, but that's not really the same as adding underwater temples IMO. As "major" updates go, this sure does appear to be an awfully minor one. So forget 1.10, let's just concentrate on 1.9 mods now and get the snowball rollin' downhill... I think we just need CoFH to get up to speed, not that I intend to pick on them, but their Thermal Expansion machines are sort of my own "guidepost" as to which version is truly the "current" one for us players. If TE is only at 1.7.10, then so is the community-at-large. Just my opinion.

I just hope that they didn't (or don't) add anything to make it too difficult for mod devs to keep up... If all it takes is changing the compilation file to use the new MC & Forge (if needed) versions to keep a mod updated then there should be no excuse to skip versions. Other RL reasons, sure.

Having said that, I see nothing really new in this one... A new mob that acts like a Zombie, another that acts like a Skeleton, Polar bears... Maybe new recipes and actual mod concept changes?

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
This is not how decimals work mojong. 1.9 > 1.10. After 1.9 should be 2.0. I don't know why, but this is really bugging me.

Also I feel like rather than trying to keep up with minecraft, I feel mods should stop updating for never versions of minecraft and just develop themselves more. I would be more than fine staying in 1.7 forever as long as more mods kept coming out.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
This is not how decimals work mojong. 1.9 > 1.10. After 1.9 should be 2.0. I don't know why, but this is really bugging me.
That's how software versions is labeled. MajorVersion.MinorVersion is the way Mojang is doing theirs. I do agree that it shouldn't be so prominent, since most of it's users have no experience with that. Most of the time, software updates, it shows a changelog and build number, but it's never really referenced outside of the update (and when people want specific version or are doing bug reports)

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill

Also I feel like rather than trying to keep up with minecraft, I feel mods should stop updating for never versions of minecraft and just develop themselves more. I would be more than fine staying in 1.7 forever as long as more mods kept coming out.
Version number!=decimals.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, they aren't decimals at all. Explain 1.7.10. Decimals have only one period, the version number has two.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Yeah, they aren't decimals at all. Explain 1.7.10. Decimals have only one period, the version number has two.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Most software version numbers come with three decimals denoting the following - rewrite, major build, minor build, revision. Mojang only shows us three numbers denoting fore example 1.7.10 The *1* denotes it is still the original code even though it has gone through so many changes that the code is no longer recognizable. If Minecraft goes the way of windows 10 beta edition, the version number would most likely got to 2.x.x. The *7" is major build which we just seen with 1.10 with each change gives us new features. the *10" is minor builds and in this case bug fixes. What you don't see is the last revision number as that is handled internally within Mojang and that can jump up several times a day as each new code is being tested, albeit, not thoroughly, but to see if it works and nothing else breaks.

Just my two iron (cents).

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

Version numbers are not Decimals. The decimal point is a convenient way to separate Major/Minor/patch level designators, but we could just as easily have 1-8-9 or 1/9/4 or 1{10}alpha. The decimal is just less obtrusive.

That's how software versions is labeled. MajorVersion.MinorVersion is the way Mojang is doing theirs. I do agree that it shouldn't be so prominent, since most of it's users have no experience with that. Most of the time, software updates, it shows a changelog and build number, but it's never really referenced outside of the update (and when people want specific version or are doing bug reports)

Exactly. Even Windows has two sets of version numbers in addition to the product name... Windows 7 was ver 6.1 if I recall, and Windows 10 is 6.4... My current Win10 build number (internal version control) is 14352.rs1_release.160522-1930. All I need to know is "Windows 10 Pro"

Version number!=decimals.

Included for emphasis :D

Here is a specification of the versioning system I think Mojang is using:
http://semver.org/

There are other versioning systems in use but in my experience this is the most widely used. It also seems to easily impart the most information about version compatibility (or lack thereof).

Reactions: RealKC