Maximum bee productivity in alveary

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
I know that I have read something on this forum about the number of frame housing required to hit the productivity cap with bees that have either the "Fast" or "Fastest" production trait, but I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere, I have been looking for ages.

Can someone either tell me what the speed cap is (and I can calculate it myself), or what the ideal number of housing is if you have the "Fast" trait. or where I can find the thread with this information.

Any help is appreciated.

Infallible

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about the cap, but I know boosting productivity past a certain point with frame housings causes your bees to turn into swarmers. D:

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
depends in part on both the production speed and % chance of an item. commoner items need fewer frames to max out. take the production chance, double it till you hit 100, the number of doubles you need is the number of frames.
with fastest trait, you need 6 to hit 100%
worst case, slowest queen w/ 1% chance, you need 9.
go with 7 or 8. (make the middle layer frame housings except the very middle one and one of the edge ones)
i reccomend setting it up so you can use a router to automate frames.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about the cap, but I know boosting productivity past a certain point with frame housings causes your bees to turn into swarmers. D:

That is good to know, I thought swarmers only arose because of too many mutators, I have the fastest productivity serum so 6 will get me the 100% I need but will 6 cause swarmers?

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
yes. the safe number is 4 frames with 100% boost each.

Does that mean I can't achieve maximum productivity without risking swarmers?

I assume then that people who farm them just accept they will get swarmers and have alternative bees available for when they die out?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Does that mean I can't achieve maximum productivity without risking swarmers?

I assume then that people who farm them just accept they will get swarmers and have alternative bees available for when they die out?
your guess is right.

you can do that, but it`s a pint in the ass to inject new bees to keep production rolling. it`s better just to have more alvearies with same bees.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Ehm, I think I'm too daft to understand this, can you explain it to me like I'm five, preferably with an example? Say, by using a Glittering bee which iirc has a 2% chance of producing a golden comb.

If I use a single frame on this, that production chance is upped to 4%? And then 8% for the second, 16, then 64 for four frames?

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about the double post, but I did some searching and have new questions :x

The glittering bee produces two products. The golden comb at 2% rate and rocky combs at 20% rate. According to a spreadsheet I found, if given the fastest trait, this would mean that this bee would reach 100% production with three frames (could someone explain the math behind this? Base chance is 20x1.7(fastest multiplier), but how do one calculate the effect of frames?).

This is all well and good, but I'm probably more interested in the golden combs than the rocky combs. According to my spreadsheet, fastest trait gives a base chance of 3.4%, which is abysmal, and a whooping 5 frames before the production reaches 100%. But if I use 5 frames on this bee, won't the overproduction effect kick in as I'm using two more frames than what's needed to reach 100% on the rocky combs? Also, you say that 4 frames would be safe for any bee, but the rocky combs are maxed with three?

EDIT: Spreadsheet in question, have to have a google account and make a copy of it to use it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnkWNB3cVIdJdHVzSUVRQnB5STMzT3Y0MGFFVEZka0E#gid=2

EDIT2: Still confused about the math. If I use the doubling method you explained earlier in this thread, I reach 100% with 5 frames for the golden combs, but 3 frames for the rocky combs give me well in excess of 200% ... Is the spreadsheet wrong?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
it doesnt matter if one of products have 100% chance/tick, what matters is the amplifier.

3 frames will give rocky comb 160% chance/ tick, but this has nothing to do with spawning a swarmer

for golden combs 5 frames will give 100% chance/tick, but you risk to have a swarmer. if you use 4, the chance would be ~50% but no risk for a swarmer.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Apologies for continuing to drag this out but I am just as confused as Airship.

the info is correct. 1600% is 4 frames with production chance of 200%

Wouldn't four frames of 200% = 800% or am I very confused on how the % is calculated?

Also from the table http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Comparison_of_Frame_types_and_Bee_Housing here, there is a column that says "(max)" and in the case of impregnated frames this is stated as 1000%. I assume this means that stacking more than five imprgnated frames will have no effect. Is this correct?

Thank you for your patience and help. It is appreciated.

Infallible

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't four frames of 200% = 800% or am I very confused on how the % is calculated?
frame bonus isnt additive.
the bonus production is calculated by multiplying frame`s bonuses:
2 untreated frames:
2*2=4 or 400%
3 frames:
2*2*2= 8 or 800% etc.