Massive lag spike problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfrer

Jul 29, 2019
So I have just got back to playing FTB after not playing it for a few months, and I log on to start playing a new world.
In the menu not the actually game I get these massive lag spikes. So i ignore it and log into the game but every few seconds maybe like every 4 seconds i get the massive lag spikes. I never had this problem before and i also haven't played FTB on this pc for a while. I tried re installing Java but still no luck, I even tried out Optifine but still no luck. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so do you have any insight on how i might fix it? Thanks, in advance.

Note: Could this problem maybe not be fps and such but hardware? because the problem seems to be also on the main menu.

Ill include some photos of the lag spikes.

Attachments

• 2013-08-22_04.47.06.png
    2013-08-22_04.47.06.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 2013-08-22_04.47.59.png
    2013-08-22_04.47.59.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 62

GuildMaster

Jul 29, 2019
You should reading this thread. FTB got many new mods and modpacks, so it now requires a better computer than before. I recommend you try putting all the Optifine settings to low. One thing that did help me is turning Vsync to on. Possibly your monitor's refresh rate is 60Hz or 75Hz. Without vsync minecraft will get up to 100+ FPS even if it's useless, since your monitor can't display that many frames.

If none of the above work, try using a smaller FTB modpack.

dfrer

Jul 29, 2019
So, I got kinda desperate and started uninstalling programs on my computer, there was one program that i had been hating ever since i got onto my computer, Snap.Do. So i proceeded to uninstall it and i checked on ftb, but i noticed that were no more lag spikes. If anyone has a problem with there game kind of like this just try uninstalling some things. Hope this helped :p. And thank you for your help GuildMaster.

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
dfrer, I was hoping you would find something else. LOL I'm having the same problem but its totally random. I'll be at my base and its unplayable. If i reboot completely it may or may not fix it. Sometimes just going to the nether and then back fixes it completely for hours. I'm baffled. I just finished reloading the PC from scratch. Windows 7, all drivers updated. AMD Phenom 6x 1055T, 12GB of ram, SSD hard drive, 1GB video card. I've played with tons of the settings in Optifine, nothing changes it. Tried it without optifine, no change. Will keep trying some things and see if I can figure out what causes it.

UniZero

Popular Member
Oct 3, 2012
Scotland, UK
dfrer, I was hoping you would find something else. LOL I'm having the same problem but its totally random. I'll be at my base and its unplayable. If i reboot completely it may or may not fix it. Sometimes just going to the nether and then back fixes it completely for hours. I'm baffled. I just finished reloading the PC from scratch. Windows 7, all drivers updated. AMD Phenom 6x 1055T, 12GB of ram, SSD hard drive, 1GB video card. I've played with tons of the settings in Optifine, nothing changes it. Tried it without optifine, no change. Will keep trying some things and see if I can figure out what causes it.

Try using link from Guildmaster regarding jvm arguments.

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I should have mentioned in my OP that I am using the jvm arguments in teh FTB launcher and have tried varrying amount of ram allocation in the launcher from 1GB to 6GB, It seems to be best with 2GB allocated. But still has issues. Last night I was able to play for 4 hours without an issue. It so completely random.
Will keep testing and report if I find anything.

dfrer

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is completely unrelated Gerald Huppertz, but do you actually live in Nanaimo BC? It would be kinda wierd since I live in Nanaimo my self :p.

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
Update on the lag spike issue. I'm begining to think it is some sort of memory leak but cannot seem to nail it down.
If I reboot the PC and load Unleashed first it runs perfectly fine all night long. I can even have email, mumble and a schematic viewer open on my second monitor.

As soon as I open a website (google chrome), especially one that uses any form of java I start to see slight lag spikes every once in a while. The more tabs I open the worse it gets until its almost unplayable. Setting the priority for the minecraft Java process helps a little but not much. If I close all the browser windows it gets better again but is still worse than before opening anything to the point where its annoying to play.

Shutting down minecraft and relaunching it also makes it somewhat better but its still not as clean as when I do a reboot and run Unleashed first.

If I do anything web browsing before starting minecraft I have the lag spike issue right from the get go.
Since my last tests I have:
Rebuilt PC with new montherboard and 16GB of Kingsten HyperX Ram.
Including full reload of windows, again. Updated all drivers.
Which of course included a full reinstall of Unleashed 1.1.3 as well.
I've also tried a different 4 core CPU to rule out a faulty CPU.

Everything else on the PC runs perfectly fine. No other games have issues even with multiple (10+ chrome tabs open)

I'm not sure if a grabbing the log will help any, but can do that if needed.

Anyone have any thoughts?

goldern

Jul 29, 2019
Same thing happenning to me but i can't solve it cause there's no crash reports.
It just freeze and die -.-

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Goldern, Mine does not crash it keeps running but the 1 second spikes make it almost impossible to play.
I right click to place a block and suddenly there are 3 placed. Or I turn around a 90degree corner but suddenly Im spun all they way around facing the opposite direction. Tried even more ideas last night and started shutting of other process's via the task manager. no change. Nothing shows high CPU or ram usage in Windows performance monitor.

I also updated our server (externally hosted) to 1.1.4 so decide I would try a complete fresh FTB launcher and client install on one of my other drives. Same issue. I think i've run out of ideas....

goldern

Jul 29, 2019
the same was happening to me...
after some minutes the game turns into a unplayable rage machine.
I've fixed it following Eyamaz instruction to update java to version 40 64bits and it worked fine
try to remove old version of java and it may help :) (Eyamaz is the guy.)

Gerald Huppertz

Jul 29, 2019
RESOLVED my issue last night thanks to goldern;s suggestion.

I had 2 issues happening.
First after my reload of windows I only installed teh 64-bit version of Java.
Google Chrome is 32 bit. While I cn't prove it, I think it may have an issue trying to access 64 bit Java when websites have Java content.

So I installed the 32 bit version of Java as well.
When I did this I noticed it is Update 40. (As Goldern noted above)
I'm not sure how, but in all my troubleshooting I missed the fact that my 64 Bit Java was still Update 25.
I uninstalled it and installed Update 40 of Java 64 bit.

The game now runs fine even with several gogole chrome tabs open.
I do find a little more lag with the Chrome windows open but its not the freezing lag spikes of before.
and it only does it when i'm near lag creating entities such as my farm with its mobs or areas of heavy flow.

The game is now completely playable again!!!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.