Mass Production of Thaumcraft items

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zeric

Jul 29, 2019
I want to produce a lot of Nitor to use as floating torches around my town. However, it is quite wasteful and tedious to just throw things in the crucible to try and make things.

Has anyone tried to mass produce things from thaumcraft?

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
No, but I imagine that you could stick a wand in a deployer to simulate a right click and use a obsidian pipe to pick up things coming out of the crucible. You could then just pipe in items.

Zeric

Jul 29, 2019
3 problems with that:
1) Just tested obsidian pipe items, items won't go into the pipe, I am guessing that they never really go above the crucible just look like it
2) With the obsidian pipe there you can no longer toss items in
3) You are still waste a lot of items and excess Essentia in making the items

I suppose, one could make use of Glass Phials and alembics to make a bunch of Essentia and throw those in the crucible. But...that would still be wasting a lot of resources just to get the Essentai, not to mention all that glass and clay. Plus, the weird amount ones that need an amount not divisible by 8. Items that give off an amount not easily divisible with the rest of the Essentai on the item and with the limited space in alembics.

Speaking of which, I do remember in an episode (can't remember which) of Direwolf20's Server Let's Play that azanor mentioned that there will be upgrades to the alembics. Clearly indicating Thaumcraft 3 is no where near done.

I do wonder though if he has any plans for the mass production of Thaumcraft 3 items and, more importantly, if we can find a means to making a lot of the crucible items (nitor, thaumium, ect) efficiently.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If using Thaum why not use golems? So you can use the deployer thing for the wand clickyness and then just have a wood golem pick up the results. Two tallows to manger the crucible and then just use your drop in of choice to fill in the needed items. Timing might take a bit to get right but it seems doable.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
Or put the RP2 version of the obisidian pipe (can't remember the name right now) and set it on a timer that alternates with whatever you are using to deposit the items within the crucible.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, the tested idea does not work. This may be because the "item" you see when making something in the crucible is simply an animation and not really there, and when the animation finishes, it just places it in your inventory. This also means that deployers won't work for two reasons. 1. Wands won't charge in them. 2. There is no valid inventory for the items to go to so it just dissapears to prevent crashing. I imagine that this is intentional on azanor's part.

Zeric

Jul 29, 2019
The problem, I am most concerned with, is getting the right amounts of Essentai into the crucible and not getting absurd amounts of unwanted Essentai and possibly creating unwanted amounts of Flux.

Just using Nitor as an example.

Nitor requires 4 Fire, 6 Light, and 4 Power

Lets say, we use GlowStone Dust and Coal as the items to complete the requirements.

Glowstone: 3 Light, 1 Vision Coal: 2 Fire, 2 Power, 1 Rock

2 Glowstone Dust and 2 Coal will give enough Essentai to make 1 Nitor

The problem becomes the 1 leftover vision and stone. What are we suppose to do with this leftover Essentai?

Just flushing it into the local aura in not an acceptable answer, because remember we are mass producing these. Saying, make sure you make them in amounts where the leftovers are divisible by 8 does not always work. Maybe we run out of material or vis or aura or move onto another item to make. Maybe we don't use items that make dealing with the leftovers or main Essentai easy.

This is what I am asking. The biggest and main problem will be the extra Essentai and how to deal with them.

Edit: Even if we are standing there to do everything we still have the Essentai problem.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Use more alembics? One for each essence should do you unless you're crafting huge amounts of stuff.

Zeric

Jul 29, 2019
Can only have 4 on a crucible, that hold 16 Essentai each. We are mass producing, so, yes crafting huge amounts of stuff. But not only that what if we are not using optimal items and have 5-6 unnecessary Essentai in there along with uneven amounts of needed Essentai?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Can only have 4 on a crucible, that hold 16 Essentai each. We are mass producing, so, yes crafting huge amounts of stuff. But not only that what if we are not using optimal items and have 5-6 unnecessary Essentai in there along with uneven amounts of needed Essentai?

Tallow golems can move them to warded jars or a marked chest which you can save for later or depose of via your destruction method of choice since destroying a phial or jar does not bleed aspect or create flux.

edit for uneven amounts yeah that still an issue but can be fixed by either better choice of items or first by converting a large amount of stuff essentai before hand and using that pure stuff. Which if you wanted to you could do in some remote location if you dont want any flux at all.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
This can be solved by more crucibles each with 4 alembics and a timed distribution system with a army of golems to do a lot of the lifting. This way instead of trying to make a ton of things in one crucible you do it spaced out between many each running at a safe rate of speed. As each crucible can only handle so much with out destroying the aura and causing a wisp apocalypse upon you.

Also note that their have been hints at better crucibles in future versions of the mod just like their was a tech tree for them in thaumcraft 1 and 2.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
If you enclose your node, you don't need to worry about wisps so excess flux isn't a big deal. I built my base on top of a barrow mound with a dark node, and was worried that this was "bad", but despite always having a ton of flux nothing particularly bad has happened except a few thunderstorms. The dark node does spawn a whole lot of wisps, but they're stuck in the barrow, and I occassionally go in there with full armor and a flame wand and have a wisp massacre. But you could also just keep them locked in there forever (they eventually despawn) or do something like flood the room with lava or smoosh them with pistons to kill them.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If you enclose your node, you don't need to worry about wisps so excess flux isn't a big deal. I built my base on top of a barrow mound with a dark node, and was worried that this was "bad", but despite always having a ton of flux nothing particularly bad has happened except a few thunderstorms. The dark node does spawn a whole lot of wisps, but they're stuck in the barrow, and I occassionally go in there with full armor and a flame wand and have a wisp massacre. But you could also just keep them locked in there forever (they eventually despawn) or do something like flood the room with lava or smoosh them with pistons to kill them.

My last world I had done something like that only I used silver tress to drag the node away a bit (because I wanted to use the spawner down there) But I put up iron bars around it built some turrets (portal) so that they could shoot through the bars. Never had a problem with wisps only random sounds of gun fire now and then.

Reactions: Confidential1207

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
My last world I had done something like that only I used silver tress to drag the node away a bit (because I wanted to use the spawner down there) But I put up iron bars around it built some turrets (portal) so that they could shoot through the bars. Never had a problem with wisps only random sounds of gun fire now and then.
A shame that the mindcrack pack don't have portalgun then. I wonder what other mod's can supply some autokilling power so that the wisp essence can be farmed efficiently...

Oooohh.. finnaly a use for those tesla coils... woot.

Edit: Speeling mistks. ;)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019

First drop the items in the crucible, one item type at a time. Right-click the crucible with a wand (by a Deployer) to release all the aspects into alembics. Have golems move them to jars. Repeat for every item type you are using. Then use aspects stored in jars to craft. As long as your input items only have up to three aspects each (you need space for the deployer), and you have enough jars, you will never spill anything.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
A shame that the mindcrack pack don't have portalgun then. I wonder what other mod's can supply some autokilling power so that the wisp essence can be farmed efficiently...

Oooohh.. finnaly a use for those tesla coils... woot.

Edit: Speeling mistks. ;)

Mindcrack Does have portalgun. It is the pak i was using then and the pak I am using now. Mmmmm long fall boots.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack Does have portalgun. It is the pak i was using then and the pak I am using now. Mmmmm long fall boots.

Just had to log back into the game and check... yeah it's mystcraft that is "missing" from the mindcrack pack. not portalgun. that means cheap mob grinder death machines are possible then. with a RP2 transposer on the bottom you can autokill a lot of mobs pretty fast for their drops if you don't mind the noise.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
Just had to log back into the game and check... yeah it's mystcraft that is "missing" from the mindcrack pack. not portalgun. that means cheap mob grinder death machines are possible then. with a RP2 transposer on the bottom you can autokill a lot of mobs pretty fast for their drops if you don't mind the noise.
And put a brain in a jar in there so you can get all the XP too!

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

If by cheap you mean using the portal gun to move a spawner unless you changed the configs I suggest you look at the updated recipe for the portal gun before you call it cheap. if you mean turrets off any sort of normal style mob gen build when I would also suggest just using a melee turtle less noise and you only need one.

Like I have here.

base Upgrades by Saice, on Flickr