Mariculture Limestone

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RuneImagiro

Jul 29, 2019
Can anybody speak to this? Is there a tool in MC (I'm fairly new to all the FTB mods) that allows you take precise amounts of liquids and transport them from one place to the other? The Vat seems difficult to use with any degree of accuracy.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I should upgrade my crucible furnace with upgrades that require titanium which require the crucible furnace. The furnace is still dog slow at melting limestone with pre-titanium upgrades.

Ahead of time? I can't make quicklime ahead of time when I don't know I need quicklime until I need quicklime. So yes, with more experience with the mod I can work around how slow it is. Then again that slowness is exactly why I probably won't use the mod outside of it being required for stuff like HQM.

It is the slowest furnace I've used in modded minecraft. It gives the crystallizer a stiff challenge for the turtle award.The crystallizer on the other hand has more built-in parallelism and is cheaper/easier to run in banks.
Two tiers of upgrades for it don't need titanium, and the first one that does requires a single piece. Hardly a issue...

sigaming

Jul 29, 2019
Can anybody speak to this? Is there a tool in MC (I'm fairly new to all the FTB mods) that allows you take precise amounts of liquids and transport them from one place to the other? The Vat seems difficult to use with any degree of accuracy.
I have been preloading the am mounts I need with portable tanks and dumping in via fluid ducts. And still it hardly works. We need a way to be able to see the amount of fluid in the vat.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
I have been preloading the am mounts I need with portable tanks and dumping in via fluid ducts. And still it hardly works. We need a way to be able to see the amount of fluid in the vat.

I'm meant to be adding waila support, but keep forgetting >.<. You don't need precise amounts though, either way... I'm gonna cut the costs for things...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So i'm trying to fully automate this process at the moment. Couple of little things:

- If I just use an aqueous accumulator/fluiduct combo to constantly fill the vat with water, can I still pump quicklime into it?

- Is there a way I can get my ME network to test the temperature of the crucible furnace so it will only input fuel when the temperature drops towards 825? I want to keep it hot enough but not waste an inordinate amount of fuel.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using Mariculture 1.2.1, you can indeed do that. Prior to that, it would just fill up both input tanks, now there's code to tell it, it's not allowed to accept liquid in the second tank, if the first tank has the same liquid.
To explain the vat, it's essentially three tanks, and two item slots. You have two input tanks, and one output tank, and one input for items and one output.

I don't believe there is anything that can read the temperature of the crucible furnace, I may have to add something to do that at some point. But for now, if you didn't know already, the ethereal upgrade in the crucible furnace, will make fuel burn longer. It won't make it produce anymore heat per item, but it let's it keep burning past it's heat quota.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If you are using Mariculture 1.2.1, you can indeed do that. Prior to that, it would just fill up both input tanks, now there's code to tell it, it's not allowed to accept liquid in the second tank, if the first tank has the same liquid.
To explain the vat, it's essentially three tanks, and two item slots. You have two input tanks, and one output tank, and one input for items and one output.

I don't believe there is anything that can read the temperature of the crucible furnace, I may have to add something to do that at some point. But for now, if you didn't know already, the ethereal upgrade in the crucible furnace, will make fuel burn longer. It won't make it produce anymore heat per item, but it let's it keep burning past it's heat quota.

Thanks for the tips, that should be helpful :)

The vat is a tricky thing to use given the lack of GUI lol

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
Quicklime can only be stored in drums or in Glass Bottles (made in a vat by boaking glass in a half/half mixture of molten aluminum and.... you guessed it... quicklime.)
That's actually not true. I'm storing mine in a railcraft tank, works fine.

Yes. TE portable tanks. When stacked on top of each other they pretty much act as a single tank. Slap a BC gate on a structure pipe next to the top one, there's your measuring system =)

Now @joshie just had to go and make the whole thingmajig I made to semi-automate magnesium dust unnecessary...

Edit: And having the same no Mariculture limestone on Monster issue I use the Mariculture dictionary converter to transform Geostrata limestone.

sigaming

Jul 29, 2019
I love the idea of the mod. With a few weeks here and there this will be one of the best mods out there. One that comes to mind is 5 buckets of fish oil to make one polished stick. In the ftb monster version I can't make enough fish oil to polish one log in a reasonable amount of time. Although I think joshie was looking into those areas. Also the current version on ftb monster dose not have a way to male the books. And when the server I play on updated I lost the books I did have

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
That's actually not true. I'm storing mine in a railcraft tank, works fine.

Yes. TE portable tanks. When stacked on top of each other they pretty much act as a single tank. Slap a BC gate on a structure pipe next to the top one, there's your measuring system =)

Now @joshie just had to go and make the whole thingmajig I made to semi-automate magnesium dust unnecessary...

Edit: And having the same no Mariculture limestone on Monster issue I use the Mariculture dictionary converter to transform Geostrata limestone.

I'm stashing mine in a fluid cell, just to save space.

So far my process involves:
- A smeltery melting down my rutile ore then pouring it into ingot casts on casting tables, then import bus.

- A bank of crucible furnaces with export buses filling them up with limestone and coal (tricky due to every face of the furnace inputting into the same slots, you have to make sure the limestone goes in before the coal ^_^). Fluid import buses on furnaces.

- Two vats, both with aqueous accumulators underneath filling them with water, fluid export buses filling them with quicklime. Import bus extracting magnesiish dust.

- A second bank of crucible furnaces accepting magnesiish dust from the ME network, melting it down then outputting into ingot casters, import bus on the ingot casters.

- A third (smaller) set of crucible furnaces accepting impure titanium and magnesium and coal from the ME network, outputting titanium into ingot casters, import bus.

The process has its kinks but seems to work for now. Bloody hell that was longwinded.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm stashing mine in a fluid cell, just to save space.

So far my process involves:
- A smeltery melting down my rutile ore then pouring it into ingot casts on casting tables, then import bus.

- A bank of crucible furnaces with export buses filling them up with limestone and coal (tricky due to every face of the furnace inputting into the same slots, you have to make sure the limestone goes in before the coal ^_^). Fluid import buses on furnaces.

- Two vats, both with aqueous accumulators underneath filling them with water, fluid export buses filling them with quicklime. Import bus extracting magnesiish dust.

- A second bank of crucible furnaces accepting magnesiish dust from the ME network, melting it down then outputting into ingot casters, import bus on the ingot casters.

- A third (smaller) set of crucible furnaces accepting impure titanium and magnesium and coal from the ME network, outputting titanium into ingot casters, import bus.

The process has its kinks but seems to work for now. Bloody hell that was longwinded.

Seems a bit over-complicated =)
  • Titanium can be done as an alloy in the smeltery, just pipe the liquid magnesium into the smeltery and melt some rutile, much easier in fact as I find it a pain to get the crucible furnaces up to temp for titanium =)
  • To fix the coal issue on the crucible furnaces, why not use a tank with lava under them?

Reactions: malicious_bloke

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
TANK of lava!

That was my problem, I tried it using a source block (like with a blast furnace or TC crucible), no wonder it didn't bloody work lol.

Also I didn't know you could make the pure titanium alloy in a smeltery. This...will simplify my life a ton.

Thank you so much! :D

EDIT: how does one pipe liquids into the smeltery? Fluiducts wont seem to connect (to the controller at least) and fluid export buses don't want to output.

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So, 16 crucible furnaces, powered by lava tanks, receiving limestone from the ME network, sending quicklime into two vats full of water.

Import buses grabbing magnesiish dust. Four more crucible furnaces smelting magnesiish dust, fluid import bus pulling molten nickel and magnesium into the network. (I could use itemducts on the vats I guess, but this just looks tidier in my basement)

Smeltery with export bus on the controller, fluid export bus on an adjacent drain. Exporting liquid magnesium and rutile ore.

Three more drains, three casting basins. Fluiducts on auto-export. Import buses on the basins.

Job done :)

Quarry dumps rutile ore into ME network -> automatic things happen -> titanium blocks appear in ME network.

Or at least this would be the case if I could automate the conversion of Geostrata and Chisel limestones into the Mariculture version. At the moment i'm doing it manually with a chisel XD

Last edited:

AlexChip

Jul 29, 2019
for ones having problems finding mariculture limestone, u can use any limestone from other mods, place it in Chisel tool and it acts like an ore dictionary converter, just choose mariculture limestone.. (I do this on Monster 1.1.1) I don't like the way they changed the mariculture ore dictionary so it now adds that orange text and actually makes a new type :/ (didn't try using Unifier..)

also for anyone playing Monster 1.1.1 did u notice they have taken out all mariculture books and freezer? On a server that I play on, since we updated, they are gone from NEI, no other players can see them too.. odd..

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Latest annoyance, pneumatic servos on fluiducts don't have the NBT/metadata options and can't naturally differentiate between molten titanium and impure molten titanium.

So my fluiducts connected to smeltery drains are getting clogged with the impure stuff and are then unable to pour when the pure stuff is ready.

Bloody nightmare.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Those fluids are entirely distinct, with two totally different names in the code... so it shouldn't be an issue.