Mariculture Fish Tank Block?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Frink14

Jul 29, 2019
What is the purpose of this block? At first I thought it was a tank where you could put fish in and see them in the tank and you could add on blocks to make it bigger. But nothing really happens if I put a live fish in the 1/250 pages. This is not the same as making a fish tank with multiple blocks and a feeder, like the book says in game. Here are some screens...

2014-05-30_19.06.58.png 2014-05-30_19.07.05.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Might it be just an "indexer" for fish :3? Like, storage space for em.
Yeah sounds a lot like an equivalent of the Indexer for bees. A specialized storage for large quantities of fish.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Looks more like it's just a chest, similar to the Apiarist's Chest for bees, except that holds 125 bees and this holds 250 fish. I guess I'd agree, that's sorta disappointing especially since it has a nice transparent look to it, like its filled with water and fish could be inside there swimming. :) Making it a multi-block structure would be cool indeed! I need to try out Mariculture fishing, another pleasant diversion since I certainly don't need the food supply at this point. It's like Forestry butterflys... why collect them? Well, why not?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Looks more like it's just a chest, similar to the Apiarist's Chest for bees, except that holds 125 bees and this holds 250 fish. I guess I'd agree, that's sorta disappointing especially since it has a nice transparent look to it, like its filled with water and fish could be inside there swimming. :) Making it a multi-block structure would be cool indeed! I need to try out Mariculture fishing, another pleasant diversion since I certainly don't need the food supply at this point. It's like Forestry butterflys... why collect them? Well, why not?
250 pages, not 250 fish.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly:

They're pretty much useless. You can't shift click in to them. You can't sort, search, filter in them. They don't let you stack fish. It's better to use AE or a Filing Cabinet right now. It's probably better to just use chests than tanks cos of the lack of shifting too... I was super lazy when I coded the fish tanks, and they aren't exactly what I had planned them to be. Though as quaz said they hold 13,500 fish not 250 :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly:

They're pretty much useless. You can't shift click in to them. You can't sort, search, filter in them. They don't let you stack fish. It's better to use AE or a Filing Cabinet right now. It's probably better to just use chests than tanks cos of the lack of shifting too... I was super lazy when I coded the fish tanks, and they aren't exactly what I had planned them to be. Though as quaz said they hold 13,500 fish not 250 :p

what the biggest most hated problem I have with them... I placed fish in them, then broke the fish tank trying to move it, and then all my fish dropped out of the tank onto the ground
welp, there went all the live fish I caught

Reactions: trajing

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Honestly:

I was gonna give you a hard time for ripping on the mod/dev; then I looked left. So, well, I guess you'd be an authority on the subject :p

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly:

I don't care about the lack of shift clicking, that's amazingly compact.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
what the biggest most hated problem I have with them... I placed fish in them, then broke the fish tank trying to move it, and then all my fish dropped out of the tank onto the ground
welp, there went all the live fish I caught
Yeah that was the big issue back in 1.4.7 with the Bee indexer as well. It could hold endless amounts of bees, but when you broke it it spilled them all out :p Went through several versions of just destroying them all when breaking the indexer(to not crash servers/saves) to finally remembering them so you can move it around freely(I think you can now).

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
^ as bad as the lag it may produce with bees, it's worse with fish, since they all die xD.

Reactions: rhn

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
So the fish still die even when in the fish tank?
How do you breed them then?

No they die when you break the tank and they all fall on the floor...

Use a fish feeder in a body of water(more water needed for higher teir fish) to breed, supply fish food and away you go