Making Magical Wood

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So, given the various mods in Direwolf20 that can make enchanted items, has anyone done some analysis on Extra Utilities' Magical Wood, and what the optimal way is to get Magical Wood with the least XP cost?

Given the way that XP scales, I'm thinking that spending one level at a time on a vanilla enchant (with all other xp stored in an EIO Experience Obelisk) might be the lowest cost way of producing it.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I might be totally wrong as I never made it and have no idea what is used to make it. I think it costs 4 enchanted books or something among those lines and the better the enchants the more you get per book and some gold?

I would say that if the above is the case the "optimal" way is different for everyone as for some people xp will be harder to get while for others the other needed materials are the problem.

Wraitholme

Jul 29, 2019
I think he means aside from materials... which is the cheapest way to make enchants, in essence.

Since we don't care about what the enchant is, I think vanilla is probably cheapest, since all the other solutions tend to cost more XP to pay for finer control over the resulting enchant.

Unless there's an enchant duplication method that's really XP cheap?

6210classick

Jul 29, 2019
with open blocks you can make flim-flam with an emerald + book , i think this gives you 17 magical wood

with TE Fluid transposer you can inject 8 buckets of Liquid XP to a vanilla bookshelf to get 1 magical wood

EIO enchanter can make enchantment books using levels + item + book & quill

Bilbiocraft Printing Press can duplicate enchantment books but it costly in terms of levels

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Oddly enough, I find the cheapest way to get enchanted books to be to use Enchanting+. Vanilla crafting table has a fun habit of picking 3-4 as its lowest level unless you spend a few minutes putting the book in and out of the enchanting GUI.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Me, I've always preferred setting up a mob farm and then using the enchanted eq from the farm to make the wood.

I should also mention, if you've got twilight forest, quite a few of the tools made there have build in enchants that serve well. A druid spawner will give you bones for bonemeal and enchanted hoes. (IF I remember right).

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitefulFox

Rob Abrams

Jul 29, 2019
I've found the easiest way is the MFR auto-enchanter.

Use the XP-extractor on yourself to get a bucket of XP (takes one of your levels per bucket).

Feed the machine the bucket of essence, the vanilla books and some power.

Set the level to 1, and it makes at least 15 books per bucket of essence, very quickly as well.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
By the time I am thinking about magic wood I already have some kind of mob spawner set up so I just brute force things.
Either way, the last time I made magic wood. I wasn't getting the multiplier for high level books. So I just fluid transposed it.
Fyi unless it's changed enchanted items can be used in stead of books. But it gets costly on gold. As the chatty enchanted mob drops don't rank high.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you have Ender IO installed... get one enchantment book of a very high level, perhaps even combine some books with different enchantments to get it as high as possible.
then use the crafter from EIO and input the magical wood recipe and use the book with the very high enchantments for enchantment books.

now if you use any kind of enchantment book, the crafter will register it as if it was the enchantment book with the very high enchantments, thus giving you a crazy amount of magical wood for pretty much any enchantment book.
yea, it's kind of an exploit, but I just find it annoying to constantly deal with enchantment books.