Make America (*combat) great again!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Romullo

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I'm playing Crackpack at the moment (just got back to playing) and I'm looking for suggestions of mods to make combat more appealing and immersive. I've been playing Minecraft since beta and I simple don't have any desire to explore and fight because the combat (talking about melee here) is just so boring.

I know in the new versions there is change to it (stupid but welcome) but I'm looking for a mod that I can use with the packs right now that overhauls combat in a way.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Erm... try playing in 1.9+. Combat changes. Significantly. TiCo changes with it. Battlesign now functions as a shield when used in the off-hand. Built one with a wooden sign and cactus handle. Was hilarious how it used Thorns, and how it would bounce arrows back to sender, although accuracy was lousy.

You ask for a change in combat, then call the best one that has come out 'stupid'... so not sure what you are looking for here.

Romullo

Jul 29, 2019
Erm... try playing in 1.9+. Combat changes. Significantly. TiCo changes with it. Battlesign now functions as a shield when used in the off-hand. Built one with a wooden sign and cactus handle. Was hilarious how it used Thorns, and how it would bounce arrows back to sender, although accuracy was lousy.

You ask for a change in combat, then call the best one that has come out 'stupid'... so not sure what you are looking for here.

I call it stupid because from what I read it was just a kind of charge to the attack with a sword (the longer you hold = more damage), did not know about the other changes you mention, thank you.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Vanilla Combat in 1.9+ has changed a lot, as far as I can tell, the change is bigger than what any mod I know of has done to combat pre 1.9.

I would suggest you learn about vanilla 1.9 combat before you try modded versions of it or else you'll be like DireWolf20 and his silly "I don't understand basic vanilla things."

Basically; Mojang made it so that it is no longer possible to spamclick. The attack speed of a weapon is now an attribute that is different for different weapons. And because you can't spam click, you are forced to consider tactics, you can't just rush into a mob and start spam clicking. If you are cornered by a bunch of mobs, you'll lose.

Swords can no longer block, but now there exist a shield that will block melee damage for a high % and missile damage for 100% . The shield is rather cheap to make so a good early game item.

You now have an off hand, you can use for a shield, or even an other weapon, or for torches.

You can not block and attack at the same time, and you can't "quickblock," you must start blocking well before the mob actually attacks. This means you must time your attacks and your blocks. It takes a bit of practice to get it right. But you can take out skeletons with zero damage. even with just a shield and a stone weapon.

Swords have a normal attack speed and do the same damage as pre 1.9. Higher tier swords both do more damage and have a faster attack speed.
Swords now have a swipe attack, that does damage in an Area Of Effect.

Axes now all do 9 damage but are slower than swords, higher tier axes have a faster attack speed but do the same 9 damage.
Because crits do extra damage (jump attack) this means you can now 2 hit kill most vanilla mobs with a mere unenchanted stone axe. However you need to time and execute the attacks just right to do it.
Axes also can only attack one mob at a time, but this can be an advantage, if you are fighting mobs among pig man, and you want to avoid accidentally hitting them.

Hoe's and shovels do a lot less damage than swords, but they have a very fast attack speed. So you can almost spam click with them.

The sharpness enchant has been nerfed again, and Bane and smite have been boosted again. Sharpness 1 adds 1 damage, but other levels add only 0.5. So sharpness 5 adds 3 damage in total. Bane and Smite add 2.5 damage per level making it really worth considering those enchants.

from what I read it was just a kind of charge to the attack with a sword (the longer you hold = more damage), did not know about the other changes you mention, thank you.

If you try to spamclick anyway, the weapon does a lot less damage. The weapon does not have a charge, but it does have a recovery time. It doesn't do more damage if you wait, it just does less damage if you don't wait. It is balanced so that it is really worth it to wait for the recovery. However, if you are panicked and you "need" to spamclick to safe yourself, then spamclicking still works a tiny bit, just very very badly.

Reactions: PierceSG

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
And all this is one of the reasons I really don't care for the 1.9+ versions of minecraft. I don't play minecraft to take on mobs. I play it to build and I have to deal with the mobs to do what I want. I've never cared for games that force me to time attacks and defense.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
It is still very easy to avoid having to deal with mobs in minecraft, just avoid them. Sleep away the nights, make your work/build area spawn proof, and if you need the drops, just build a mob spawner somewhere over a deep ocean that can either auto kill, or has a manual killing room designed so you are complete safe and can just hit their feet.

In fact, the new swipe attack makes such mob farms very easy and removes all the tedium. As the fall damage reduces their HP to near 1. A single swipe can kill all the mobs collected with one move.

So yea, the new combat is good, even for people who don't like combat. :p;)

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I fail to see how that particular strategy is any different than the old system. I've been doing that for ages in vanilla. Hell even in skyblock maps pre-powered spawners I still do it.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I fail to see how that particular strategy is any different than the old system. I've been doing that for ages in vanilla. Hell even in skyblock maps pre-powered spawners I still do it.

Are you responding to my post about the vanilla mob farm? I didn't say that was new, I was trying to explain that those old ways still function.
What is new, is that you can kill all mobs in one swipe, saving on time hunger and mouse clicks.

Of course, mod items such as the TiC scythe could do that bit in pre 1.9 already...

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
@SevenMass You implied that that style of mob farm was easier. Which isn't exactly true. At 1 heart it wouldn't matter what style of attack you use. That is where I drew my conclusion

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like the1.9 updates could make Advent of Ascesion even more fun if it updated.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
@SevenMass You implied that that style of mob farm was easier. Which isn't exactly true. At 1 heart it wouldn't matter what style of attack you use. That is where I drew my conclusion

Without an Area of effect attack, you need to attack *each* mob at least once, regardless of HP. The swipe attack the combat update added allows you to kill *all* mobs in 1 swipe. All mobs at once! I mean: 20 kills in one attack, as opposed to 20 attacks, 1 for each kill.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet in the thread are the new enchantments... The only one I can think of from the top of my head is Mending, which as far as I know is only available in loot chests. What it does is repair weapon damage using your accumulated Experience Points. I don't know if it does so with armor and you do have to keep the weapon in hand to repair it.

I don't recall if this came out on 1.9.x but it is certainly in 1.10.2, which is more important for FtB users since that's the new Vanilla version FtB packs are being built for.