Magmatic Engines broken?

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
I just updated to the latest Direwolf20 pack. I can't get magmatic engines to accept lava. I've tried directly connecting tanks, placing lava buckets, cells and cans in the fuel spot or tank spot, etc. Nothing I do results in lava going into the magmatic engine.

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
Tried that. Tried everything I could think of. Even completely deleted and reinstalled the mod.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
From the Thermal Expansion Change Log for version 2.1.7:

Code:
-Changed: Engines will no longer accept liquid containers via their GUI slots. REMOVE EXISTING CONTAINERS FROM MAGMATIC ENGINES WHILE YOU CAN. :)
-Changed: Machines and Engines that hold liquids can now be filled/emptied directly by right clicking on them with an appropriate container.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You have to r click an engine while holding a lava cell or bucket now, you can't place them into the slot in the engine anymore. Not sure why liquid pipes wouldn't work.

Kinjiru

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes still work, I made a mistake in my configuration, but that bucket thing really had me stumped! Good to know the cause.

Matok

Jul 29, 2019
This new 'feature' has jacked up my engine system. I was delivering lava capsules produced by my bees using redpower 2 retrievers to the engines, and that no longer works, now it just gets jammed. Gotta rip it all out and put in liquid pipe now.

Note for mod makers, add features, don't remove. There was no reason to remove the ability to load the capsules in.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
This new 'feature' has jacked up my engine system. I was delivering lava capsules produced by my bees using redpower 2 retrievers to the engines, and that no longer works, now it just gets jammed. Gotta rip it all out and put in liquid pipe now.

Note for mod makers, add features, don't remove. There was no reason to remove the ability to load the capsules in.

Yes there was - computational overhead. In the vast majority of cases, people use lava pipes directly. This leaves an extraneous inventory check that has to happen every tick on every single engine. The benefit of being able to burn capsules in them frankly doesn't outweigh the contribution to server CPU time.

I know some people were doing the can/cell thing, and I apologize for that. The only reason the slot stayed around was to allow people who had placed things into the engines to get them back out. I didn't want to simply screw people out of up to 64 cells.

Matok

Jul 29, 2019
Yes there was - computational overhead. In the vast majority of cases, people use lava pipes directly. This leaves an extraneous inventory check that has to happen every tick on every single engine. The benefit of being able to burn capsules in them frankly doesn't outweigh the contribution to server CPU time.

I know some people were doing the can/cell thing, and I apologize for that. The only reason the slot stayed around was to allow people who had placed things into the engines to get them back out. I didn't want to simply screw people out of up to 64 cells.

I think you misunderstand what I was saying.

I don't care that the inventory part of the engine was removed, I care that I can no longer automatically deliver a lava cell to it to fill it's tank and that it just jams the system instead. I wasn't keeping an inventory of cells loaded in the engines, I was pulling 4 cells in when the tank ran dry, detecting that state with a gate on a buildcraft pipe that signaled the retriever to go fetch. I did it that way because I liked the compact fuel storage of fuel cells over the gigantic liquid tanks.

But oh well, I'll probably just do something else with tesseracts anyway, those look interesting.

Matok

Jul 29, 2019
Does not appear to work, though I bet it's the deployer not doing something right with the cells. I tried putting a tank next to the deployer and it still didn't do anything with the cells.

Looks like I can use a liquid transposer to get the lava out of the cells and into some liquiduct. With some reworking of my redstone wiring I bet I can get it to control the delivery of cells to the transposer instead of directly to the engine. It's another machine that requires MJ though, doh. Just makes things more complicated.

I suppose another option is to just get the lava strait from the squeezers instead and send it everywhere with tesseracts. I did notice that a magmatic engine put right up against a liquid tesseract can draw lava strait from it, which would kinda solve the problem all together and wouldn't require the redpower 2 delivery system.

I guess I'm killing endermen tonight.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Does not appear to work, though I bet it's the deployer not doing something right with the cells. I tried putting a tank next to the deployer and it still didn't do anything with the cells.

Looks like I can use a liquid transposer to get the lava out of the cells and into some liquiduct. With some reworking of my redstone wiring I bet I can get it to control the delivery of cells to the transposer instead of directly to the engine. It's another machine that requires MJ though, doh. Just makes things more complicated.

I suppose another option is to just get the lava strait from the squeezers instead and send it everywhere with tesseracts. I did notice that a magmatic engine put right up against a liquid tesseract can draw lava strait from it, which would kinda solve the problem all together and wouldn't require the redpower 2 delivery system.

I guess I'm killing endermen tonight.

From my experience, deployers just don't like cells for whatever reason. I tried making an automated industrial grinder setup without using an MJ power source, but it didn't work because buckets weren't really effective and I couldn't get the deployers to refill cells from an infinite water source.

tunnen

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to automate it with containers, you would just need to include a liquid transposer hooked up to some pipes leading to the engines. The liquid transposer will empty the containers into the pipes.

ShireensPlay

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to automate it with containers, you would just need to include a liquid transposer hooked up to some pipes leading to the engines. The liquid transposer will empty the containers into the pipes.

I'll probably try that, thanks :)