Magic World - Thaumcraft 3: Best way to create/combine nodes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
I recently began the process of creating a pure node in my Thaumaturgy lab using this room:
wE2fZ.png

And it has plenty of room to grow:
BjIud.png

And here's the room with a tree in it:
JS1xe.png

But I must've gone through about ten trees so far just getting its aura value to 150, so I was wondering if there's a better or more efficient way, because this is fairly time consuming.

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can plant a silverwood tree, which always creates a pure node where the tree grows.

I plan on eventually having a pure node with an aura of 1000 or more in my lab. Unfortunately it takes trees a very long time to do anything.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, so I guess I've misunderstood something then. The tree itself isn't a node? So, once it grows you can chop it down and the new node will still be there? And you can combine nodes, 1 on top of another?

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, so I guess I've misunderstood something then. The tree itself isn't a node? So, once it grows you can chop it down and the new node will still be there? And you can combine nodes, 1 on top of another?

Yes.

Just be warned that sometimes the node gets smaller instead of bigger. Don't know why, but I've yet to see a big drop in aura.

Reactions: Rikki21

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
The possibilities...

Although, waiting for those trees to grow is always a pain. Maybe a magic bone meal research that will grow those trees like bone meal should be added. :p

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
The possibilities...

Although, waiting for those trees to grow is always a pain. Maybe a magic bone meal research that will grow those trees like bone meal should be added. :p

Someone call Azanor right now :D .

To be fair, they usually grow fairly quickly on my current world.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, this is new to me too! You can now get Silverwood saplings?

Well, they are very, very rare. You're lucky to get 1 off a tree. I would say you at least get one, but I've done a couple trees where I didn't get any.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
A Silverwood Tree growing is the only way to create more nodes, and it takes creating a node to merge them as naturally nodes aren't close enough to merge. The range increases as they get bigger, but you have to just keep growing pure nodes a little bigger each time and then get it close enough to start attracting the node you want it to merge with. You'll want to wait until the Pure node is bigger so that the end result will also be Pure... unless you're trying to make a Flux or Dark node bigger. If you want to make existing nodes bigger, the best way is probably just growing the Silverwood Trees on top of them and build them up over time, just like the Pure node you're cultivating.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
As SilvasRuin said, nodes grow by absorbing other nodes over time. So your's will go much slower, seeing as you are doing it one tree at a time. My recommendation would be to get a hold of a few more Silverwood saplings and grow them really close nearby, like within 10 blocks. I have had reasonable success creating larger nodes this way, as there are more nodes being created and absorbed. However, the large node may move around a few blocks, so you may end up having to move the building over a block or 2, or grow more trees to encourage the node to scooch over a little bit. It takes a long time though, so the more trees you grow at once, the faster the node will grow.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in my experiments in creative, it seemed to me planting a cluster of saplings tightly together made it more likely one of them would grow at any given moment, and with them growing so close together, the node should remain in roughly the same spot. I mean like a 3x3, 4x4, etc. grid of the saplings all adjacent.

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
Well for the past two or three trees the aura value has been steadily going down. What's causing that?

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The max aura or the current aura? Silverwood Trees pull from the existing nearby aura to generate their node when they grow. If you've already drained a significant amount aura from the area, then your current aura being lower than the max is to be expected. The only way to regenerate aura currently are the new crystal clusters, which I don't think the Magic World pack has been updated to yet. Without them, aura is finite.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've read in Azanor's thread on mcforums, you're better off in a low vis node, and just letting it replenish with the aura of the nodes around it.

Reactions: Zelfana

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at the MC Forum thread, you're not the only one with that problem. It's an odd one, and I can't seem to find any concrete information about it.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019

Once you build a gigantic node, you drain the nearby vis ore really, really quick. Its a ton of work, and its buggy. So, instead of doing that, either build or find a pure node, and build your base there. No wisps to attack you. Then, either do research there, or do your research far, far away and don't mess with your local aura, because as it is, sooner or later its not going to replenish. AND, you lose all of your local vis crystals to build wands and whatnot with.

I mean, if you just want a giant vis node for the sake of having a giant vis node, go for it. But you're putting a lot of work into something that is non-permanent and takes a lot of maintenance to keep running even with the new updates. You're better off saving yourself the trouble and just using a smaller node, letting it replenish aura from the nodes around it.