Magic World - Thaumcraft 3: Best way to create/combine nodes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Eh... that advice really isn't great with the newest version of Thaumcraft. The newer updates of Thaumcraft had hard to obtain crystal clusters you can craft out of Infused Shards. These crystal clusters will actually slowly replenish the aura around it up to 10% higher than the effected node's max aura. This is a good thing as it can regenerate Infused Ore that had been turned dull. Now, I could be wrong, but what I've seen and heard so far suggests it takes an excess of 100 aura over a node's max to get it to generate Infused Ore from plain Stone. If that is indeed the case, then you'll want to build up your work node to at least 1000 maximum aura, because it is at that point you can use crystals to actually create more infused ore and start creating aura instead of just replenishing it.

Fair warning though, nodes with aura in excess of their max generate flux. You'll either want this to be a Pure node or you'll want to have a distant node set up to regenerate the local aura while you work a safe distance away at a node with much less flux.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
Thats... really good to know. Thanks Silvas. I'll definitely be starting a new world up for the newest version of TC.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Running 2 quarries in 2 separate mystcraft realms = waaaayyyy more shards than I'll ever use normally. Once I get the crystal clusters, I'll be making a lot of them for decoration purposes :)

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
So, does anyone know why the max aura sometimes goes down, instead of up when a silverwood tree grows?

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
The workings of Nodes is the one thing about Thaumcraft that confounds me.

Is it just me, or do Pure Nodes seem to "cleanse themselves of Flux" mostly by shedding it to neighboring Nodes?

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
If that's true, then I think I know what to do if I ever play a server with Thaumcraft 3 on it. See how long it takes the neighbors to work out why it never stops raining.

Reactions: EternalDensity

MrKnightmare

Jul 29, 2019
I think nearly the entirety of Thaumcraft 3 confounds me but it's one of those mods that I cant wait to start learning about.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into the same issue when expanding my own node. I got stuck at 500/900 and at least half of my exposed infused stones got depleted. As I used a lot of silverwoods, the amount of flux also exploded. Said state lasted for a long time, then I noticed that the depleted infused stones are starting to glow brighter. Over the course of the day, the aura started to pick up again, but the process was painfully slow.

The flux is still "high" though. I think it's one of the reasons why's it recharging so slow.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
The workings of Nodes is the one thing about Thaumcraft that confounds me.

Is it just me, or do Pure Nodes seem to "cleanse themselves of Flux" mostly by shedding it to neighboring Nodes?

Yeah, I've seen it happen. I'm not sure how exactly though, it doesn't just beam it to adjacent nodes like the vis exchange between nodes is.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a specific type of flux's way of dissipating. Maybe the barter/exchange aspect? Most just spawn wisps, others do potion effects. I haven't bothered to see them all because it takes a long ass time for them to dissipate once you've pushed them into high. I think someone saw a giant zombie one time?

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into the same issue when expanding my own node. I got stuck at 500/900 and at least half of my exposed infused stones got depleted. As I used a lot of silverwoods, the amount of flux also exploded. Said state lasted for a long time, then I noticed that the depleted infused stones are starting to glow brighter. Over the course of the day, the aura started to pick up again, but the process was painfully slow.

The flux is still "high" though. I think it's one of the reasons why's it recharging so slow.

No I'm talking about the max aura going down, as in 150/150 becoming 91/91. SO FRUSTRATING!

Kynrasian

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, come to think of it: Poppycocks, how did you even get a node with a max aura of 900 in the first place?

jman_blue

Jul 29, 2019
If you use crystal clusters to push the nodes aura over its limit then use a silverwood to merge with it it'll expand the limit then just repeat this

After testing this I found out the node will increase about 5% each time

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
If you use crystal clusters to push the nodes aura over its limit then use a silverwood to merge with it it'll expand the limit then just repeat this

After testing this I found out the node will increase about 5% each time
uh, that's nonsense. The node increases by 16 to 33 after merging with a silverwood, regardless of crystal clusters and it's not based on percentages. You just have to take care when you're merging with a node that's 250 or below because you can accidentally merge the wrong way and lose aura. See http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aura for more info.

Reactions: Vixation

Malgana

Jul 29, 2019
uh, that's nonsense. The node increases by 16 to 33 after merging with a silverwood, regardless of crystal clusters and it's not based on percentages. You just have to take care when you're merging with a node that's 250 or below because you can accidentally merge the wrong way and lose aura. See http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/Aura for more info.
You posted the page for the Aura Aspect, not Aura nodes.

http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aura
This is what you want, and even then the page you wanted to link clearly states:

Small nodes merging can actually lose aura. The issue here is that you would expect the new node to be guaranteed to be at least as large of the larger of the two nodes to be merged, but because of the mechanics of nodes, that's not always the case, especially for smaller nodes.

So no, it's not guarenteed to increase by 16 to 33 at all, and in my experiences with just messing around with nodes on random test maps it seems that it's totally random as to weather or not the aura increases or decreases regardless of the size of the base auras.

Reactions: Vixation

McMutton

Jul 29, 2019
You shouldn't grow the silver tree at a location where it directly merges the node....

Reasoning behind it is based on the following:
- The greater Node (based on current Vis, not the maximum Vis) consumes the smaller Node
- the new Node uses 150% Vis of the old (closest) Node to be created
- as far as I understand the Aura values aren't completely added up, only a percentage of the "smaller" Node is used (and that makes it likely that your old Node with around 100 Vis has currently no Vis left and the new Node gets only a percentage added to it)

Therefore you should have the squareroot of the max Vis (if your Aura is 100, 10 blocks distance, if it is 81 9 blocks distance etc.) as the distance in blocks between the sapling and the old Node to insure that your big Node recovers before merging with the new Node from the silver tree.

(I'm not 100% sure on the math included in this post, everything is only based on the things I've heard + the wiki article http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aura )

So basically: Don't stack your Silver Saplings to increase your Node.

Edit to give credit to whom it belongs:
All the Infos are found in this thread:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/aura-and-you-all-about-thaumcraft-3-aura-mechanics.7792/

Only 1/3 of the smaller Node (based on current Vis) is added to the new Node.
So if your old Node had 100 Vis and the Tree spawned a new Node of 50 Vis the following will happen:
75 Vis of your big Node will be used to feed the new Node. 25 Vis left making it the smaller Node.
50 + 100/3 = 83 max Vis in your new Node.
As far as I understand you should be safe as soon as your current Node has more than 251 Vis to increase it directly, since Silver Saplings shouldn't create bigger Nodes than 100 max Vis. (250 - 1.5*100 = 101 Vis left -> new Node will be consumed since it is still smaller)

Reactions: ff255away

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
You posted the page for the Aura Aspect, not Aura nodes.

http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aura
This is what you want, and even then the page you wanted to link clearly states:

Small nodes merging can actually lose aura. The issue here is that you would expect the new node to be guaranteed to be at least as large of the larger of the two nodes to be merged, but because of the mechanics of nodes, that's not always the case, especially for smaller nodes.

So no, it's not guarenteed to increase by 16 to 33 at all, and in my experiences with just messing around with nodes on random test maps it seems that it's totally random as to weather or not the aura increases or decreases regardless of the size of the base auras.
They moved the page, it's been a while since that post. And I know what it says, I added that information there. It is absolutely a guaranteed increase, you're just doing it wrong and aren't actually reading the advice that is on that page to solve your merging problems.