Low FPS

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Its a 635M
Like desktop cards, laptop cards do also have different specifications. The primary difference between the various 635M laptop cards is the memory. Namely some of them use GDDR5 while some of them use DDR3. "GDDR" is memory specifically designed for situations where high memory bandwidth is important whereas "DDR" is typically made for situations where higher capacity is more important. System memory on a computer is typically DDR whereas graphics are typically GDDR. The difference in performance can be noticeable.

The laptops that have the DDR3 version are the Alienware M14x, Dell XPS 17, Schenker XMG A501, and Schenker XMG A701. The GDDR5 version is found on MSI GX780, Lenovo Y560p, and Lenovo Y570p.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
All we know is that it is an NVIDIA GeForce... Whereas is processor is 2.4GHz, which I can't say is particularly good.

Well for most other games that 2.4Ghz architecture would be ok. For FTB, not so much. Not many games hog the CPU like FTB minecraft

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Also, playing on servers can really increase FPS. I remember before I found an FTB server to play on and I only played SSP, I got like 10 FPS. In vanilla SSP I get around 40 FPS, and Vanilla MP I get around 60 depending on how many people are on/logging on. Now that I play on an FTB server I get around 30-40 FPS. Try to not play on a server with tons of people if you are worried about FPS, I've noticed that lots of people quickly logging on can cause lots of lag. In Vanilla Survival Games in the lobby I get around 30 FPS, and once the game actually starts with 12-48 people playing I get a good 40-60 FPS. Install Optifine and use the best settings possible. I've noticed that these settings work really well.

Graphics: Fast
Render Distance: Normal
Smooth Lighting: Off (unless you use RedPower, if you do, use Smooth Lighting: 30 or so)
Performance: Max FPS
Open GL: Fast
Clouds: Off
Animations: Off
Sky: Off
Stars: Off
Sun and Moon: Off

Also, are you using a texture pack? Texture packs like Sphax (I use this and can confirm this) cause lag. Not too much depending on your PC, but can definitely influence FPS.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Damn people, just move to 1.5.2 already. Some many cool new features in vanilla and the mods, plus clients and servers notice better performance.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Also, playing on servers can really increase FPS.
I thought about trying to do this for the MC 1.4.7 version of the pack, only running the server locally on another computer. In the end though going to 1.5.2 seems to have completely removed any issues I was having. Not that they were overly noticeable to begin with.

One note about this is I believe the increase is the result of the server handling CPU-related processing. So if your laptop has a superior CPU you may not see that much of an improvement. Still worth verifying though.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Damn people, just move to 1.5.2 already. Some many cool new features in vanilla and the mods, plus clients and servers notice better performance.
I can NOT play without RedPower. I play vanilla in 1.5 which is enough for now. Also, I haven't completed my 1.4.7 world, AND a 1.5.2 version of Ultimate isn't even out yet.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
You can play without RedPower, the only thing missing is frames, eveything else has been replicated. And a few frame replacements are at the stage where they have working code.

RP2 might not even update till 1.6 or 1.7, do you really plan to have low FPS, non supported mod versions that long? Thinking more long term, you might be hosed then if Eloraam decides she is done, and not updating it again.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You can play without RedPower, the only thing missing is frames, eveything else has been replicated. And a few frame replacements are at the stage where they have working code.

RP2 might not even update till 1.6 or 1.7, do you really plan to have low FPS, non supported mod versions that long? Thinking more long term, you might be hosed then if Eloraam decides she is done, and not updating it again.
Basalt is also missing, which I use a TON of. Like I said, a 1.5 version of Ultimate isn't out. I also don't get low FPS (for my computer). If anyone else were to play FTB on my computer they might consider it low, but I sure as shit don't. I am used to slow computer things, I could only afford Dial up internet until about 2009.

Most code for RedPower still works with 1.5 and she is working on fixing the code that doesn't work as fast as she can on it.[DOUBLEPOST=1371439801][/DOUBLEPOST]Can we not turn this into a RedPower thread. I am done seeing them, and am fine just waiting for RedPower to update. Let's stick to the OP, fps. Thanks.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Basalt is also missing, which I use a TON of. Like I said, a 1.5 version of Ultimate isn't out. I also don't get low FPS (for my computer). If anyone else were to play FTB on my computer they might consider it low, but I sure as shit don't. I am used to slow computer things, I could only afford Dial up internet until about 2009.

Most code for RedPower still works with 1.5 and she is working on fixing the code that doesn't work as fast as she can on it.[DOUBLEPOST=1371439801][/DOUBLEPOST]Can we not turn this into a RedPower thread. I am done seeing them, and am fine just waiting for RedPower to update. Let's stick to the OP, fps. Thanks.
Railcraft's Abyssal Stone Bricks look a lot like basalt bricks. For basalt cobblestone try MFR's black cobblestone. For plain basalt... idk.

Blackstone-based blocks (MFR) are slightly darker than Abyssal Stone-based blocks.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft's Abyssal Stone Bricks look a lot like basalt bricks. For basalt cobblestone try MFR's black cobblestone. For plain basalt... idk.

Blackstone-based blocks (MFR) are slightly darker than Abyssal Stone-based blocks.
Hmmm... I haven't done anything in MFR yet so I didn't know about that.

And again, Ultimate 1.5 hasn't come out, so me using 1.5 is not an option.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019

My framerates are identical in 147 and 152. Also maybe 70% of RP has been replaced and not all of it with things as good. Not worth it to me still, and its irrelevant what eloraam does at this point. The other mod others are free to keep pulling up the slack but they arnt there yet. If I was going to update it would be for the horses

TwoSecondsBefore

Jul 29, 2019
To fix FTB low fps (include Monster pack):
1. Install Optifine Standard (NOT ULTRA because of half mob glitch!) (for 1.6.4 I use HD_D1 version). There is install instruction but for Ultra:
2. Launch game, go Options -> Video Settings -> Animations... and set "Terrain Animated" to OFF.

Done.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
1. Install Optifine Standard (NOT ULTRA because of half mob glitch!) (for 1.6.4 I use HD_D1 version). There is install instruction but for Ultra:
2. Launch game, go Options -> Video Settings -> Animations... and set "Terrain Animated" to OFF.

Done.
Uh...
About a year and a half late...

Holy shit, bigglesworth was still around during this....

And if you want high fps just turn everything off. Done.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

Done.
Except Optifine in modded MC is more trouble then it's worth.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Except Optifine in modded MC is more trouble then it's worth.

Until the day Optifine in 1.7 corrupts a world or kills my cat, I will continue to argue in its favor. So far its done me nothing but good. I have expected my current world to not last long anyway, I consider it a test. 140+ mods, I havent tried out everything yet but I have done quite a bit of testing in creative, and I havent had any optifine related crashes or seen any of the weird graphical glitches it caused with certain mods in 1.6.4.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Minecraft is secretly cpu oriented, Don't allocate more than 2GB of ram to FTB. Minecraft only uses 1 core, Optifine has a setting to use multicore rendering, if you have a good processor then you should be good. Shaders use your GPU

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft is secretly cpu oriented, Don't allocate more than 2GB of ram to FTB. Minecraft only uses 1 core, Optifine has a setting to use multicore rendering, if you have a good processor then you should be good. Shaders use your GPU
Do not allocate more than 4 GB. 2-3.5 is optimal.

TwoSecondsBefore

Jul 29, 2019
Uh...
... And if you want high fps just turn everything off. Done.
Of course you can turn off everything that is possible and put all the sliders to the minimum, but then the picture is not too pretty. Without "Terrain Animated" option turned off in Optifine I had 1-2fps even in start menu and game options menu (to move the cursor to the button you had to wait for about a second). And it is on x64 computer on which the standard Minecraft without mods running fine.
Without this solution I could not play in the FTB at all until would not buy a new computer. I share this solution with the the same people like me, who wants to play FTB now.
Video instruction (turn the subtitles on) (there is less fps because of recording and other unclosed processes, but it shows the difference and of course you can change another options to get a couple more fps):

Sorry for Google Translate english.

Last edited: