Low fps on good pc (i already posted one but didnt help)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
T

TheCowanplayzz

Yeah I'm still having problems trying to play ftb revelation and I'm getting about 25-30 fps. I have a good pc

specs:
7700HQ
GTX 1060 6GB (latest drivers and Minecraft is using gpu)
16GB RAM (I have 6GB allocated to Minecraft)
Java 64bit (latest version)
Optifine Installed (I tried without it and didn't help)
I have reseted everything on my laptop

also for some reason when I switch to the integrated graphics in Nvidia control panel, I actually get better performance

can anyone help me??

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is this "25-30 fps" in a new world with nothing built, or in an existing world with tons of stuff?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Looked up the different hardware for a comparison, and I don't think you should be expecting too much from it. CPU does not have particularly fast single thread performance(which is the only thing really mattering to Minecraft). GPU is a mid-ranged "value" card(which does not seem to even outperform its predecessor significantly). And it is a laptop, which always takes off 10-30% of the performance compared to a similar desktop setup(by necessary throttling of power/heat management).

I would still think you should see higher fps in a new virgin world however, simply because it takes very little to get high digits in that(the true test is in a world filled with builds, automation etc.). But that greatly depends on modpack, MC version and settings of course.
You did not mention storage media. You are using an SSD for the game, right? While an SSD will mostly result in faster loading times of the game and chunks, moving around in-game will cause significant slowdowns on slower storage formats.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
As @rhn said, drop your expectations if you're on a laptop. He said to expect 10-30% lower performance but I've seen as much as a 50% drop on a laptop with Integrated Graphics only. Also, laptop chips are made to be slower in the first place for lightness (heatsinks and cooling) and battery life.

Are you disabling the Integrated graphics in your BIOS? if not you may be creating a situation where both GPUs are conflicting. The NVidia console won't fix that.

What is your render distance? On my system the render comes up at 12 blocks unchanged but I set it to 16, run most settings at their highest and still see a constant 120fps.

My Desktop specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (3.2Ghz, running at 3.725Ghz)
14GB DDR4-3000 Ram usable (allocation about 7GB)
Drive volume = 4TB disk+128GB SSD+2GB ram Tiered storage
GTX 1060 w/6GB ram on board
Win10 Insider Preview
Java 1.0.8_025 64-bit (runtime installed by Mojang loader)

Currently playing StoneBlock, Direwolf20 and Enigmatica 2, all 1.12.2 packs

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As @rhn said, drop your expectations if you're on a laptop. He said to expect 10-30% lower performance but I've seen as much as a 50% drop on a laptop with Integrated Graphics only.
There is also the fact that many of the cheaper laptops with "highend" hardware are are basically just a laptop with desktop hardware. And in that case they probably end up heat throttling, due to a laptops inferior cooling not being able to meet the demand on hardware designed for desktops. Basically you can never use the hardwares full potential, because it throttles down way before reaching it to protect the chipsets. You see many people try to remedy this with liquid metal "thermal paste", exterior cooling devices etc. But imo the laptop concept is simply incompatible with highend hardware.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I dunno...

I don't think this is a hardware issue and I think there's still an issue. Even accounting for the laptop tax. I have to assume if he's trying to pull 32 view distance he'd have letus know by now. So, if this is 10-12 view distance? On a brand new world? You can do 25-30 fps on a potato. Something's wrong.

My money at this point is Hambeau's point about the BIOS, and I only think that because he states that it's actually faster when running integrated than when not, so the idea of a conflict there makes sense. I know nothing about this, BTW, I'm just saying it makes sense.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
Make sure it’s using the dedicated graphic card
I had to manually tell the gpu to do that (basically tell it to use the gpu for the COMPLETE java installation folder, otherwise for some reason it doesn’t work)
Whilst surely backed up by knowledge, i find rhn statement a little bit tragic
I am running with your same cpu but a weaker 1050 gtx and i get about 60 fps on a new world ( of course on laptop)
Don’t expect epic performance though, unfortunately that is the way it is

Ah, maybe you know it but just in case: alwais plug your power supply or the CPU throttles down

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just telling Java to use the GPU doesn't stop the Integrated chip from stealing memory from the system or performing all the system tasks (disk reads, etc.), slowing everything down. The ONLY way to be sure that your performance GPU gets all the resources that should be available to it is to manually disable the internal chip.

The only exception I've seen to this is my HP laptop which uses the new Ryzen chip with Vega graphics built in, because then it's simply a mode shift... Minimal low power mode to Browse the web, etc., but when I use a graphic intensive program the Vega circuit will claim up to half of all installed ram, right now up to 4GB. If I upgrade to 16GB ram the graphics usage can jump to 8GB.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
There's your problem. Six gigs won't get you far at all with very many modpacks. Allocate more RAM.
Um.. No wrong answer. Increasing the RAM beyond what is need (I haven't seen a 1.12 pack yet that needs more that 6GB )will actually slow java and increase CPU utilization because of the extra memory management.

Reactions: rhn

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OK, there's a little of this and a little of that situation going on here, but ultimately I find it hard to believe it's the problem in either direction . 6GB should be more than enough for any new world in any pack. Only reason to go any higher is high res textures/shaders or an unreasonable view distance, neither of which are in play here.

Once there's enough RAM, there's little reason to allocate more. If you add more things will generally continue to run smoothly until it's time for garbage collection, and that's where the extra RAM can shoot you in the foot by pausing constantly to clear out the much larger pool of clutter. With the right java arguments, though, I've never seen any adverse effects from allocating too much RAM.

That said, though, I was able to run Beyond at 32 view distance, with 128x textures at like 45 FPS with pedestrian hardware on 6 GB. I can't see any reason it wouldn't be enough to run it at 12 without textures. I do not think it's the RAM.

Reactions: Henry Link and rhn