Low Fps Need Help Please!!!

B

BlackenedHeaven

so on any mod pack im floating around 50fps and im pretty sure my hardware can push more then that.
here is my setup
AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.2 GHZ (non-oc)
AMD Radeon r9 280 3gb GDDR5 GPU
16-GB 1866 Corsair Vengence Pro Ram
MSI 970Gaming motherboard
Windows 10

all my drivers are up to date im just getting crap fps, idk if its a java thing or what. Also i know Minecraft is more CPU and RAM intensive rather then GPU my cpu barley goes over 50% usage when playing and i have 4gb ram allocated (any more and id be wasting it)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Is that 50% usage counting your whole CPU(all eight cores)? What's the usage of your first 2 cores? What's your render distance set at? What resolution are you playing at? What's your CPU and GPU temperatures when playing?

B

BlackenedHeaven

Is that 50% usage counting your whole CPU(all eight cores)? What's the usage of your first 2 cores? What's your render distance set at? What resolution are you playing at? What's your CPU and GPU temperatures when playing?
That was the overall cpu usage Core 0 and 1 (first two) will be around that, core 0 will run slightly higher then core 1. my render distance is at 8 but changing that dosnt give any big difference. im playing in windowed mode on a 1920x1080 monitor. my cpu temp when playing is at 34c gpu is at 58c.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
That was the overall cpu usage Core 0 and 1 (first two) will be around that, core 0 will run slightly higher then core 1. my render distance is at 8 but changing that dosnt give any big difference. im playing in windowed mode on a 1920x1080 monitor. my cpu temp when playing is at 34c gpu is at 58c.
Hmm, all seems to be in good shape. What modpack(s) have you tried? And does this still happen if you play in fullscreen mode?

B

BlackenedHeaven

Hmm, all seems to be in good shape. What modpack(s) have you tried? And does this still happen if you play in fullscreen mode?
the two i have tried it on are Sky Factory 2 and FTB Infinity Evolved, one has fastcraft the other dosnt, ive tried with optifine dosnt make to much of a difference, what i dont understand is with my specs i should have alot higher fps, does minecraft diminish if its running on too many cores, or is there a way to make minecraft utilize my AMD Graphics card? this is so frustrating.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think your GPU is the problem here, since I have the same card. Check to see if there is a frame cap set in your options. Other places a frame cap could be set is in MSI Afterburner(or to be precise, Rivatuner) and in your drivers(Look for FRTC). Also make sure vsync isn't on in Minecraft.

B

BlackenedHeaven

I don't think your GPU is the problem here, since I have the same card. Check to see if there is a frame cap set in your options. Other places a frame cap could be set is in MSI Afterburner(or to be precise, Rivatuner) and in your drivers(Look for FRTC). Also make sure vsync isn't on in Minecraft.
No i know my GPU isnt the problem but minecraft dosnt really utilize the gpu due to it being run by java so i didnt know if there was a way to force minecraft to use the gpu instead. and i dont have afterburner, nor rivatuner and FRTC is no where in my drivers and i dont have vsync on nor do i have minecraft on a FPS limitation.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
No i know my GPU isnt the problem but minecraft dosnt really utilize the gpu due to it being run by java so i didnt know if there was a way to force minecraft to use the gpu instead. and i dont have afterburner, nor rivatuner and FRTC is no where in my drivers and i dont have vsync on nor do i have minecraft on a FPS limitation.

Well here's the thing, Minecraft DOES use your GPU for rendering. It doesn't use it as much as it should, but it does. And that's a problem only solvable by Mojang or a very enterprising modder who has no life. What driver version do you have? And is your GPU clocking up to where it should be when playing? r9 280s hit somewhere in the 900s/low 1000s of mhz.

B

BlackenedHeaven

Well here's the thing, Minecraft DOES use your GPU for rendering. It doesn't use it as much as it should, but it does. And that's a problem only solvable by Mojang or a very enterprising modder who has no life. What driver version do you have? And is your GPU clocking up to where it should be when playing? r9 280s hit somewhere in the 900s/low 1000s of mhz.
i just updated my driver the other day to the most current and yea it clocks up when in game

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Are these developed worlds? If they aren't, I'm out of ideas. I had an athlon x4 860k that was getting between 70-100 FPS in a developed base in TPPI2.

B

BlackenedHeaven

Are these developed worlds? If they aren't, I'm out of ideas. I had an athlon x4 860k that was getting between 70-100 FPS in a developed base in TPPI2.
they are worlds ive been working in yes.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Then it could just be the natural progression of the worlds. For example, if you have lots of crucibles or transparent pipes(or even opaque ones), it'll take extra CPU cycles.

B

BlackenedHeaven

Then it could just be the natural progression of the worlds. For example, if you have lots of crucibles or transparent pipes(or even opaque ones), it'll take extra CPU cycles.
one thing ive read alot is that Minecraft isnt coded to run on 8 cores so when it uses 8 cores it will have lower fps and all that

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
one thing ive read alot is that Minecraft isnt coded to run on 8 cores so when it uses 8 cores it will have lower fps and all that
Not quite true. While yes, Minecraft does not utilize more then 2 cores(except for garbage collection), extra cores doesn't hurt(but doesn't help either). Also keep in mind that the OS(Windows in your case) is what dispatches the work to the CPU. The game just tells the OS what needs to be done.

B

BlackenedHeaven

Not quite true. While yes, Minecraft does not utilize more then 2 cores(except for garbage collection), extra cores doesn't hurt(but doesn't help either). Also keep in mind that the OS(Windows in your case) is what dispatches the work to the CPU. The game just tells the OS what needs to be done.
so would assigning say 4 cores instead of all 8 work better?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
No. It's kinda complicated. Minecraft dedicates 1 or 2 threads(with each thread equaling a core in your case) to its processing. The rest are put to use by the JVM(java) for garbage collection(cleaning up unneeded junk that's in RAM) and by the OS for other tasks. The OS decides what threads go to which cores(or even whether to put more then one thread on the same core.)The OS is pretty intelligent in how it schedules tasks, so you don't really need to mess with it. You could try to set the priority of the Minecraft task higher through task manager(NOT REAL TIME) and see if that would help. I doubt it, but worth a shot.

B

BlackenedHeaven

No. It's kinda complicated. Minecraft dedicates 1 or 2 threads(with each thread equaling a core in your case) to its processing. The rest are put to use by the JVM(java) for garbage collection(cleaning up unneeded junk that's in RAM) and by the OS for other tasks. The OS decides what threads go to which cores(or even whether to put more then one thread on the same core.)The OS is pretty intelligent in how it schedules tasks, so you don't really need to mess with it. You could try to set the priority of the Minecraft task higher through task manager(NOT REAL TIME) and see if that would help. I doubt it, but worth a shot.
just dont know how some of these guys get like 500+ fps when their cpus are the same level as mine argh

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Probably because they are running Intel i7s, which have twice the single threaded performance of your CPU. And single threaded performance is what matters in Minecraft. And no one gets 500+ FPS in a heavily modded MC instance with a developed base. :p

B

BlackenedHeaven

Probably because they are running Intel i7s, which have twice the single threaded performance of your CPU. And single threaded performance is what matters in Minecraft. And no one gets 500+ FPS in a heavily modded MC instance with a developed base. :p
shit might as well use my current pc as a streaming pc and build an intel based one for gaming haha

B

BlackenedHeaven

So amd is better with multi threading that I do know, is there a way to either make minecraft use multi threading or set my cpu for better single thread when I'm playing?