Looking for interesting ways to power a base!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I'm playing on Infinity, and I always used to just do magmatic dynamos to power bases... But I want to branch out and do something more interesting. Doesn't have to be complex, just something different.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas you guys might have, I'm still learning the whole 1.7 FTB deal, so alot of stuff is still a mystery to me. :p

If you're interested, this is in connection with a world journal/lets play I'm doing, here's the link to the thread if that piques your curiosity:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/curiouskeys-ftb-infinity-world-journal.65742/

Thanks again guys.

gwirk

Jul 29, 2019
Botania Mana fluxfield can generate RF from mana. you can generate mana from sun, water, lava, coal, cake, exploding tnt...

Reactions: CuriousKey

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Botania Mana fluxfield can generate RF from mana. you can generate mana from sun, water, lava, coal, cake, exploding tnt...

Interesting! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for thanks. On the subject of magic stuff, is there a magic equivalent to a quarry or automated mining in the Infinity pack? Alot of magic mods have come a long way since I last used them, and a magic automated mining system would be great.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for thanks. On the subject of magic stuff, is there a magic equivalent to a quarry or automated mining in the Infinity pack? Alot of magic mods have come a long way since I last used them, and a magic automated mining system would be great.
Thaumcraft arcane bore, and botania's got a new lense that was introduce to address automated mining aswell. But botania's principles don't generally come straight forward and it takes a creative mind to see their value's.

But both botania and blood magic have ways of making the resources you want aswell.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft arcane bore, and botania's got a new lense that was introduce to address automated mining aswell. But botania's principles don't generally come straight forward and it takes a creative mind to see their value's.

But both botania and blood magic have ways of making the resources you want aswell.

There is that, yes. Has the bore become more powerful in 1.7? Fair enough, It's just that I'm considering forbidding myself from using tech mods as a way of making my builds more interesting.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The bore is interesting. It takes a pickaxe and excavation focus. However it can be accelerated with perdito essence, and if you connect an Arcane Lamp and give it a source of lux it'll light the holes it makes.

My suggestion would be combine it and Blood Magic. Blood Magic has the Ritual of the Falling Tower, that drops an ore filled meteor down on the ritual. It mostly breaks the ritual stones, though it's technically possible to activate then move the ritual. I can't actually explain it, but I've seen it done. Once you've got the meteor, use the bore to auto-harvest it.

Of course, getting there is something else.

If you're getting into Botania though, the Terra Shatterer is epic. Enchantable, and once maxed out it mines a massive area.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried to find something on the terra shatterer, and I can't seem to find a wiki entry for it. Would you mind giving me a short rundown on what it does?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It's a pickaxe crafted out of three Terra steel and two Living wood Twigs I believe. At default it only does one block. But as you pour mana into it it goes to a 3x3, then a 5x5, and so on. Of course the cost to upgrade it is enormous.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
My suggestion would be combine it and Blood Magic. Blood Magic has the Ritual of the Falling Tower, that drops an ore filled meteor down on the ritual. It mostly breaks the ritual stones, though it's technically possible to activate then move the ritual.

Did he nerf it? It used to be possible to protect the ritual by simply building a small platform in the sky for the meteor to land on.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Did he nerf it? It used to be possible to protect the ritual by simply building a small platform in the sky for the meteor to land on.

Is there a reason why warding the rituals blocks wouldn't work? Would that stop the ritual from working somehow?

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a reason why warding the rituals blocks wouldn't work? Would that stop the ritual from working somehow?

You can't ward a master ritual stone, and warding the rest gave me the message that means it didn't detect a ritual around it. Don't know why you would go to the trouble anyway, I just tested it and you can still block the meteor with a single angel block (or anything else if you build a column of blocks so you can place it in the air). And getting that far in BM means you can fly with the Air Sigil without getting into other mods so it's no problem placing the blocks and getting back down.

If you're going to combine it with a bore though I would ward the angel block so the meteors always fall at about the same place so the bore can reach them or maybe build the ritual underground and ward the ground if you don't find a flying bore aesthetically pleasing.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I was completely unaware that actually worked.

The master ritual stone is a tile entity, and those can't be warded.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
The arcane bore doesn't mind being moved. I've used them with Arcimedes Ships before. They should work happily enough on a frame quarry setup. IIRC, they can mine up to an 11 block diameter tunnel 64 blocks long, & they can be pointed up and down.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
With the scenery and building style you have started out with, I would be cautious not going with too much tech. I could imagine something like a wood farm(possibly golems) with a cosmetic water powered sawmill nearby. And then try and keep as much as possible low tech like steam powered(or at least hide the tech with a lowtech facade).

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
You can't ward a master ritual stone, and warding the rest gave me the message that means it didn't detect a ritual around it. Don't know why you would go to the trouble anyway, I just tested it and you can still block the meteor with a single angel block (or anything else if you build a column of blocks so you can place it in the air). And getting that far in BM means you can fly with the Air Sigil without getting into other mods so it's no problem placing the blocks and getting back down.

If you're going to combine it with a bore though I would ward the angel block so the meteors always fall at about the same place so the bore can reach them or maybe build the ritual underground and ward the ground if you don't find a flying bore aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks, I think I can make a system like that work for me. :)

With the scenery and building style you have started out with, I would be cautious not going with too much tech. I could imagine something like a wood farm(possibly golems) with a cosmetic water powered sawmill nearby. And then try and keep as much as possible low tech like steam powered(or at least hide the tech with a lowtech facade).

Well quite, that's why I was asking on here about interesting methods, I'd be quite keen on trying to do a magic only base, with perhaps a few small steampunk elements, but nothing as advanced as electricity.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That's where Rotarycraft can shine actually. It's got an awesome water wheel and a very cool steampunk look. And since it can plug into the rotational dynamo, you can have things like the TE Sawmill, without a huge power system.

Of course, it's not quite Steampunk, but meh. That said, going pure magic would be possible with Thaumcraft and Botania. I'm fairly sure there's a flower that eats XP and Thaumcraft has the Infernal Furnace. Plus the Opencrate is awesome for dropping ores into the furnace.