Looking for help improving my modpack

Seanbeag

Jul 29, 2019
I've got my own private pack on the Launcher and I've been looking at ways to improve it.

My first issue is IC2. I think I'm going to remove IC2 because it's early benefits are replicated by Thermal Expansion and it's late recipes are just too tedious. But I'm conscious of losing some cool features like the jetpack. So I'm looking for advice on what mods can replace IC2 features and work well with redstone flux.

My other issue is that I would like to expand some of my current mods with new features so I'm looking for any recommendations of interesting addons that don't change the core mod too much. Any advice is appreciated.

Here is a list of my mods: Applied Energistics; Bibliocraft; Bibliocraft Forestry Addon; Bibliocraft Natura Addon; Buildcraft; Calclavia Core; Chicken Chunks; Code Chicken Core; COFH Core; Compact Solars; Computercraft; Ender Storage; Extra bees and Trees; Extrautils; Energy Manipulator; Factorization; Forestry; Industrialcraft 2; Inventory Tweaks; Iron Chests; Logistic Pipes; Magic bees; MFFS; MineFactoryReloaded; Modular Power Suits; Natura; NEI Addons; NEI Plugins; Not Enough Items; Numina; OpenBlocks; OpenModslib; Obsidian Pressure Plates; Powercrystalscore; Powersuitaddons; Project Red Base; Project Red Integration; Project Red World; Project Red Compat; Project Red Lighting; Project Red Mechanical; RailCraft; Soul Shards 2; Steves Carts 2; Tinkers Construct; Thaumcraft 4; Thermal Expansion; Tinkers Mechworks; Twilight Forest; Universal Electricity; Waila; WRCBE

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
My first issue is IC2. I think I'm going to remove IC2 because it's early benefits are replicated by Thermal Expansion and it's late recipes are just too tedious. But I'm conscious of losing some cool features like the jetpack. So I'm looking for advice on what mods can replace IC2 features and work well with redstone flux.

Mekanism is a good IC2 replacement, and runs with RF just fine.

Reactions: RealSketch

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I also play with mekanism and quite enjoy it over ic2, it also has the toys you may be looking for and an innovative gas system that is supper cool to play with. Also, as the pack seems to have a lot of tech in it, enderIO is often a nice addition as it provides very compact options for infrastructure and such (never mind some of the cool toys it has)
You mentioned the jetpack from ic2, check out Simplyjetpacks for well done rf-powered jetpacks.

Nfrance

Jul 29, 2019
As everyone is saying, Mekanism. Easily my favorite mod by miles, and EnderIo is another awesome mod. For Jetpacks I have to say Mekanism are my favorite, because they look AMAHZING and they make the most logical sense. And if you want a end game power production Big Reactors is a great mod too.

Reactions: RedBoss

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I've got my own private pack on the Launcher and I've been looking at ways to improve it.

My other issue is that I would like to expand some of my current mods with new features so I'm looking for any recommendations of interesting addons that don't change the core mod too much. Any advice is appreciated.

Here is a list of my mods: Applied Energistics; Bibliocraft; Bibliocraft Forestry Addon; Bibliocraft Natura Addon; Buildcraft; Calclavia Core; Chicken Chunks; Code Chicken Core; COFH Core; Compact Solars; Computercraft; Ender Storage; Extra bees and Trees; Extrautils; Energy Manipulator; Factorization; Forestry; Industrialcraft 2; Inventory Tweaks; Iron Chests; Logistic Pipes; Magic bees; MFFS; MineFactoryReloaded; Modular Power Suits; Natura; NEI Addons; NEI Plugins; Not Enough Items; Numina; OpenBlocks; OpenModslib; Obsidian Pressure Plates; Powercrystalscore; Powersuitaddons; Project Red Base; Project Red Integration; Project Red World; Project Red Compat; Project Red Lighting; Project Red Mechanical; RailCraft; Soul Shards 2; Steves Carts 2; Tinkers Construct; Thaumcraft 4; Thermal Expansion; Tinkers Mechworks; Twilight Forest; Universal Electricity; Waila; WRCBE

TBH everything here except Soul Shards is in TPPI and it has all of the mods that have been suggested. Try just removing IC2 from that.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
A few recommendations: Mek has some really neat things.
Rotarycraft is neat, it's very realistic and hard, but you could keep it and emphasize that it's meant as an alternate, harder way of doing things if you like it.
Simply Jetpacks has RF-Powered jetpacks and has a better hover mode than IC2.

Reactions: Padfoote

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, as someone said Simply Jetpacks seems like a good pick, does what you want of it as it's about RF fueled jetpacks and it fits the RF theme well.
Never used it though but by the looks of it it seems to fit your criteria well.

Adding mechanism works too but if you are adverse to having mod feature overlap, adding Mekanism for just a jet-pack might only serve to bloat your pack, plus it's a fueled one powered by gas I haven't seen an "electric" version unless I missed something.
That being said Mekanizm is a neat mod adding it wouldn't hurt, it has a rather clever if not a bit laggy automated mass mining solution in the Digital Miner. But for the purpose of just adding a jetpack I'd look it over, I'd only add Mek for it's own merits, their processing machines are actually better then TE's as you can overclock them.

Seanbeag

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll probably go with Mekanism and Big Reactors in place of IC2 and Compact Solars. I'll check out simply Jetpacks too. Just one question, does Modular Powersuits work with RF?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll probably go with Mekanism and Big Reactors in place of IC2 and Compact Solars. I'll check out simply Jetpacks too. Just one question, does Modular Powersuits work with RF?
Yes. Whack the part in to an energetic infuser and it will charge.
That being said, you don't really need to charge MPS suits anymore, but chances are the mod fails if it can't find power system stuff.