Looking for building ideas for oak logs

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
I'm close to filling an upgraded barrel full of Oak Logs and I need inspiration as to what to build with all of it as I do not need any more charcoal right now. I produce about a diamond chest's worth of logs every hour or two and I just want to use all the wood for something cool. Any ideas would be appreciated.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Set up an overflow system for charcoal production to automatically go into a boiler setup that powers a scrap-free Fabricator?

Dunno. I'd just build log cabins. As far as the eye can see!

DVeagle74

Jul 29, 2019
Build a great tree or something. Some awesomely big tree house. You will just need a lot of leaves to go with it, but a chainsaw would make that easy enough.

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Using equivilent exchange you could convert it into 16 diamonds... Logs -> Obsidian -> Iron -> Gold -> Diamond practical but boring solution.

Edit -_- derp that is per barrel not ED Barrel err ED barrels would be 256 or 4 stacks

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
Using equivilent exchange you could convert it into 16 diamonds... Logs -> Obsidian -> Iron -> Gold -> Diamond practical but boring solution.

Edit -_- derp that is per barrel not ED Barrel err ED barrels would be 256 or 4 stacks

I'm not using EE.

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
I actually am able to fully power 4 boilers with the output from this tree farm but as everything was warming up the server started crashing uncontrollably, turns out there were too many entities in the redstone tubes and it was conflicting with a chunk loader so I had to tear down the factory.

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
I actually am able to fully power 4 boilers with the output from this tree farm but as everything was warming up the server started crashing uncontrollably, turns out there were too many entities in the redstone tubes and it was conflicting with a chunk loader so I had to tear down the factory.
You could have used regulators to condense items into stacks incase you werent aware of that.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
And shorten the paths, using ender chests would be advisable :). You could also use powered furnaces, regulators, filters - etc for a pipeless solution. Hooking the powered furnaces right into the boilers would be an ugly but neat solution. You could also use railcraft for transfering your items instead of RP for medium ranges, it's fun to play with. Using filters instead of transposers allows you much higher timer settings as they transfer whole stacks.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
All you needs is an ender chest at the farm as input and a ender chest per boiler and hooks each one to a pulsing filter with a single tube to one of the boiler fireboxes. That's should keeps the server at minimum lag. Just sets a single timer at exactly when the boilers needs a stack inputted. Like if a stack is depleted every 4.5 minutes sets it at that. (Maybe 0.05 to 0.1 less to accounts for the transferring time) This plan doesn't involves those regulators which requires some wiring and Bluelectric generation. Oh yea just wires everything to that single timer so one timer does it all.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Example of what I meant
2013-01-20_221052_zps0943049f.png
No pipes, filters only pulse every 2 seconds. The lag from such a set-up should be nigh 0.

I haven't tested too extensively, but this setup looks like it'll be self-sufficient at around 200°C.

From top to bottom:
ender chests, filters, barrels, filters, powered furnaces. The output side is towards the boiler.

EDIT:
Version 2 with sawmils, self-sufficient from 20°C. One pipe with very little thoroughfare (pumps out compressed sawdust from the autocrafting table). There's already a buildup of charcoal in the boiler. The first one's still not stable. (it's at 270°C)
2013-01-20_224307_zps28382e30.png

Oh, and I've set the timer to a minute, it's still too fast.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why the sawmill is there, I didn't think planks could turn into charcoal
Neah man, you actually burn the planks.
You get 0,3 heat per plank, the sawmill makes 6 out of a single log, that's 1,8 per log as opposed to 1,6 for a charcoal. And you also get a sawdust, 8 make one compressed sawdust, which makes yet another charcoal, so you're getting 16 heat per 8 logs from sawmills but only 12,8 from powered furnaces.

That's quite superior if you ask me.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Cool. Do you have any issue with trying to stick charcoal into the fireboxes when it's already full of planks?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Cool. Do you have any issue with trying to stick charcoal into the fireboxes when it's already full of planks?

It's probably a "Backup" or "Jump Start" fuel to if you runs out of resources on the production line temporarily or you have to turns off the boilers and starts them up later.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Would you mind hopping on the server and helping with the build?
Sure man, start a convo with me, give me your adress :), my IGN is same as my forum name.
That's the thing, the thing start to fill up like right from the start, puting the charcoal back in might have been a mistake :D.
I reckon it'd be better to just send the stuff somewhere else.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
FYI:
One sawmill is just a tad too slow to keep 3 36HP boilers running solely by the planks, so your 3 sawmills for one boiler are overkill.
In the current incarnation of my setup, I use the charcoal from the sawdust to keep 2 TE steam engines running (2.5 MJ/t total on average), fill the missing energy from not enough planks, keep my steve's cart running and have still a few charcoal surplus.
These numbers are only true, when your boilers are already at max heat.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
FYI:
One sawmill is just a tad too slow to keep 3 36HP boilers running solely by the planks, so your 3 sawmills for one boiler are overkill.
In the current incarnation of my setup, I use the charcoal from the sawdust to keep 2 TE steam engines running (2.5 MJ/t total on average), fill the missing energy from not enough planks, keep my steve's cart running and have still a few charcoal surplus.
These numbers are only true, when your boilers are already at max heat.
That's crazy man :D but cool. I haven't bothered testing tbh because as I've said, the system simply stops if there's too much, and it showcased nicely how to do things w/o pipes.

glad it all worked out :).