Looking for Advice for FTB Mindcrack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

nohre

Jul 29, 2019
I'm looking for a better way to keep my MFE full of energy. I wasn't sure how to progress in EU energy generators.

I made a geothermal engine to begin with and ran it with buckets of lava until I could create a magma crucible. I tried to run the geothermal engine using magmatic engines and a magma crucible, but it felt like farming netherrack was as labor insensitive as running to bedrock or the nether and scooping up lava in buckets. I wanted to make solar panels, but they require an Industrial Blast Furnace (super labor investment). Is there anything else I can use to generate EU until I have all the materials required for an industrial blast furnace? Or a more efficient way to set up my geothermal generator?

Still new to FTB. Thanks for the insight, guys!

Slaagathor

Jul 29, 2019
I built a Steve's Carts tree farm, run the wood into furnaces to turn it into charcoal, then use the charcoal to power my furnaces, my LP boiler(max size), and 4 generators (40 eu/t total, I think).

Its probably not the most efficient, but now that its set up, as long as the chunk is loaded, it runs itself.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
first you really want to upgrade your geothermal generator to a thermal generator, it generates 30k EU instead of 20k EU per bucket. Then you really don't need to use buckets to transport lava, just grab yourself a stack of cans (tin) or cells (more expensive) and just rightclick the lava with them. They stack to 64 and if you use a thermal generator you even get those cans/cells back.

Later on you might want to set up an auto pump/transportation system from the nether, just look it up on YT there are plenty of tutorials.

Other energy generating methods for early to midgame would be: Generator with charcoal, small MK1 nuclear reactor (if you have enough copper), wind generator. Or you might want to look into boilers and steamturbines. Once you have the industrial blast furnace up and running you get access to solar and water generators.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
A t5 blaze soul shard with an auto-killing system feeding blaze rods into generators (or a steam boiler) will give you quite a bit of power and is pretty easy to set up if you got lucky on your nether spawn. Alternatively, any sort of mob-killing system or auto-mining system feeding items to recyclers can send their scrap to generators also works.

Use a coke oven to turn coal into coal coke (boosts its fuel value if you want to burn it, though I saved a lot of mine for making steel in a Railcraft blast furnace) and then use the creosote oil in a semi-fluid generator.

Electrolyze your bauxite to get hydrogen cells for use in a gas turbine. For bonus energy you can combine them with carbon cells in a chemical reactor to get methane cells. Better yet, centrifuge zombie flesh (or any food product) for methane.

Windmills are actually pretty easy to make and can put out some maintenance free power. I prefer them to solars in the early game, though advanced solars obviously surpass them once you can get them.

Peat from peat farms can be burned in generators for EU directly, peat-fired engines for MJ, or in a steam boiler for either type. If you're using peat-fired engines, the ash generated can be electrolyzed for easy carbon cells.

nohre

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestions! I built a few windmills but haven't set them up. I also built the thermal generator. It will take me a while to explore the rest of these options, but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks!

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Jul 29, 2019
Another good source of power is a Red Power Water Mill setup. I don't remember how to set it up fully but you can find some setups on Youtube if you feel like it.