Request Looking for a way to make a lake and fill it with water

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Davheedw

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a way to create some big natural looking lake in FTB Infinity, or just a way to fill up one with water. I've been searching everywhere but i can't seem to find any solution to my problem.

I'm also looking for some base design to put by/under/in that lake of a combination of those. Maybe you guys have some suggestions or screenshots of some nice looking builds or any ideas on what blocks woold look good with the water and grass.

-Dave

Reactions: Ollie.Ellis1997

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I can't remember if Buildcraft is in Infinity or not, but the flood gate it has will be helpful for filling the lake. As for making a natural looking one, that process will probably need to be manual.

Davheedw

Jul 29, 2019
I can't remember if Buildcraft is in Infinity or not, but the flood gate it has will be helpful for filling the lake. As for making a natural looking one, that process will probably need to be manual.
Gonna start up and see if the flood gate is there, thanks for the tip. Though making the lake by hand will be a pain :/

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Gonna start up and see if the flood gate is there, thanks for the tip. Though making the lake by hand will be a pain :/

You could use a filler (also BC) to clear out a large area of land and then do the manual detailing. It'd be easier than clearing everything by hand and doing the detailing.

Reactions: Davheedw

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I just place some TNT one block in, and detonate it. Then fill it with a floodgate. Maybe put a cobblestone on top of it, and use a button to light it, so the blast is channeled more down than up.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
A few (dozen?) blocks of TNT would likely be useful in creating a natural-looking pit (vanilla FTW!). Then BC floodgate as others mentioned.

Davheedw

Jul 29, 2019
Wow... How did I not think of TNT lol. Will do guys thanks! Any other tips on block template's to use with water and grass?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Wow... How did I not think of TNT lol. Will do guys thanks! Any other tips on block template's to use with water and grass?
Having built a LOT of natural landscape(including tons of lakes), I would strongly recommend against TNT. You are going to have to spend more time fixing it afterwards than just making the lake manually.

Just get a really fast single block shovel/pickaxe/Drill(I prefer the GraviSuite Advanced Diamond drill enchanted with Efficiency). You might also want to use a TC wand with the Excavation focus, as it is nice to "carve" slopes with. With the proper tools you can get a lot of work done really fast. Then just start doing random shapes with an eye for the natural shape of the landscape.

I like the looks of Gravel(or similar) covering the bottom of the lake mixed in with Stone. It looks bad IMO with Dirt(Grass will turn into dirt under water, at least some places). You can mix in some Clay or Sand perhaps if you want, but I just do Gravel and Stone. The get some Lilypads, Algae, Kelp etc. to decorate it with.

Here is an example of a lake(reservoir) that I built completely from scratch:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ide-collection-etc.42664/page-42#post-1179703

Reactions: Padfoote

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Depends on the size of lake you're after. I find TNT to be useful for large lakes. Small ones, are easier by hand you're right. But I like my lakes very deep.

Chisel limestone looks better underwater than dirt I notice. It gives better texture and doesn't stand out too much.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Depends on the size of lake you're after. I find TNT to be useful for large lakes. Small ones, are easier by hand you're right. But I like my lakes very deep.

Chisel limestone looks better underwater than dirt I notice. It gives better texture and doesn't stand out too much.
For me the depth of the lakes really depends on the landscapes surrounding it. If it is located in flat terrain (like an estuary/river delta type area) then a deep lake would have filled up with sediment. Therefore I make them shallow like this:
OIlu8PT.png

(from Unleashed back before Floodgate. Filled in by hand(Put out a temporary layer of blocks, fill in a single layer with the Chalice of the Emperor, remove layer and let it flow down))

But if it is a more rocky and less eroded terrain I might make them deeper, but it has to be realistic in terms of sediment gathering and water flow to and from.

Davheedw

Jul 29, 2019
For me the depth of the lakes really depends on the landscapes surrounding it. If it is located in flat terrain (like an estuary/river delta type area) then a deep lake would have filled up with sediment. Therefore I make them shallow like this:
OIlu8PT.png

(from Unleashed back before Floodgate. Filled in by hand(Put out a temporary layer of blocks, fill in a single layer with the Chalice of the Emperor, remove layer and let it flow down))

But if it is a more rocky and less eroded terrain I might make them deeper, but it has to be realistic in terms of sediment gathering and water flow to and from.
That looks very good indeed, i think i'll be going with the sand too and then make wood/sandstone buildings as they go really nice with nature :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
For this art attack you will need:
1. Someone else's very pretty hipster house, complete with wooden roof
2. A pair of tesseracts, one receiving an endless supply of water and another hooked up to a BC floodgate
3. Some fire.

Once the process is complete, you have your very own openair swimming pool!

:)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. I always used Fire and ice. Set down blocks of ice in a checkerboard, then every few centers gets a block of wood. Light the wood. The fire melts the ice, and the water turns into infinites. Sometimes the wood burns up, sometimes it doesn't. Then it's occasionally annoying to remove if it's too low.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching Slipg8tr earlier, one of his previous series, and he created a crater that looked really natural and nice using tnt.

He drilled all the way to bedrock in columns. There were 5x5 in a square pattern with I think 2 or 3 squares between each tnt block. The tnt blocks stacked virtically from surface to bedrock. He set them all off with redstone at once. The crater he made was amazing. He had to clean up some blast resistance blocks here and there but other wise very natural at least on the sides. Of course it would be very deep... you could always go 1/3 or 1/2 way to bedrock or even just put in your own lake bottom....

... other wise yeah by hand works too :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I was watching Slipg8tr earlier, one of his previous series, and he created a crater that looked really natural and nice using tnt.

He drilled all the way to bedrock in columns. There were 5x5 in a square pattern with I think 2 or 3 squares between each tnt block. The tnt blocks stacked virtically from surface to bedrock. He set them all off with redstone at once. The crater he made was amazing. He had to clean up some blast resistance blocks here and there but other wise very natural at least on the sides. Of course it would be very deep... you could always go 1/3 or 1/2 way to bedrock or even just put in your own lake bottom....

... other wise yeah by hand works too :p

I did that once, the effect is wicked.

Except if you do it over about 256 square chunks, then it just outright crashes the client.

Davheedw

Jul 29, 2019
I managed to do it by hand, took a while but i made it! Thanks for all the help! Though i might need a little more help with block types to use because i can't really figure it out :/