Looking for a teacher to teach me how to play Direwolf20!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
T

ThatzNastyy

i am fairly new to the whole mods on minecraft and I really want to learn about almost everything from thaumcraft to blood magic to equivalent exchange everything! I am 16 years old and looking for someone to play with!we can start playing I am on everyday it'll be fun!

Last edited:

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
First off, publicly posting your Skype name can lead to you getting all kinds of unwanted spam. (Just a word of warning)
Secondly, I would recommend you watch Direwolf20s' season 7 lets play as he does broadcast in a tutorial fashion when he plays SSP. It's not in depth but will give you a good footing on the mods.

T

ThatzNastyy

First off, publicly posting your Skype name can lead to you getting all kinds of unwanted spam. (Just a word of warning)
Secondly, I would recommend you watch Direwolf20s' season 7 lets play as he does broadcast in a tutorial fashion when he plays SSP. It's not in depth but will give you a good footing on the mods.
Thanks man see I started watching season 1 but I already knew the ic2 stuff so it was somewhat boring, but I'll check on season 7, anyone willing to play tho?

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Not the one who play with, but still what @Middleclaw said, watch the Season of Direwolf20 SSP that is according to the DIrewolf20 pack version you are going to play.
Dw20 1.7 = Season 7 I think.
I did start this way and every now and then when I have trouble with a specific mod, I watched his Spotlights( he has a spotlight for 90% of the mods that he uses in his packs) and consult the wiki.
If you are wanting to play FTB, once of the main things you need to be aware of is that is has a learning curve that requeires you to pass more time researching on internet then to play.
At least at the start...
For me thats one off the main ascpects what I enjoy playing Modded Minecraft.
So for me having someone to teach me, would take out fun for me and makes you not having the feeling of "wow I managed to get this working"

So if you start playing with someone, look for one with the same expirience as you so you can help each other but without spoilering to much.
Also Direwolf packs and the big other kitchen sink packs have so many ways to do stuff that if someone will "train" you, he will spoil you a lot of mods and not making you finish others until the end.
Why should you for example try logistic Pipes if you can start with AE2 also.
Just to give one example.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is difficult to advise on. I don't know how one might "play" Direwolf20 - the pack is full of silliess and overpowered rubbish that makes the thing, as a whole, a self contradictory mess.

Personally, I resolve this by excluding the worst offenders, and building things using as few mods as possible: i.e. if an IC2 machine needs water, I use an IC2 pump rather than just hooking it up to a BC/TE pipe carrying water.

That said, Direwolf20 can be "played" by following the progression:
* punch a tree.
* Build a set of TiC tools
* Build a smeltery to get Ore doubling.
* Sleep the first night.
* On the following days - Automate everything with AE2.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

This is the easiest way and the best way to learn and get ideas for your own world - if you can stomach hearing Dire say "Cool!" about a million times, have at it! Please don't misinterpret, I'm just trying to be funny - Direwolf is an awesome Minecrafter, especially if you are trying to learn individual mods or an entire modpack. Direwolf's "Mod Spotlights" are must-watch videos, but his Let's Play series is also very informative.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
This is the easiest way and the best way to learn and get ideas for your own world - if you can stomach hearing Dire say "Cool!" about a million times, have at it! Please don't misinterpret, I'm just trying to be funny - Direwolf is an awesome Minecrafter, especially if you are trying to learn individual mods or an entire modpack. Direwolf's "Mod Spotlights" are must-watch videos, but his Let's Play series is also very informative.

*neat*

My girlfriend does not like him... She does not understand about minecraft and me watching his videos on full volume on the tablet next to her on the sofa at the beginning of my MC carrier made her hate him for all the "cools" :D

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
He did get awfully loud for a while there.

Dire's videos are great, but they tend to be a little... scattered. He'll start out: I want to check out this cool thing from Mod A. Hang on, if we use this block/mechanic from mod B, it'll be a little easier. And then suddenly: Now that we have the super tool from mod XX...

Don't watch just Dire either. He's not any more repetitive than any other player but he tends not to seek out better options. Or more enjoyable ones. Eventually it all boils down to: Tesseract.

Seriously, he built a frame miner the same as he did back in season 2/3, then connected it with a Season 2 era teleporting minecart. The only thing that changed were the mods he used.

A lot of the information and techniques are still valid even if the mods have changed. Mostly though, I suggest trial and error. If you have an issue, ask. We know a lot of these mods forwards, backwards and some of us inside out. But half the fun even of vanilla is learning yourself.

Oh, and Railcraft is the best mod ever and don't let them tell you different. :p

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There is also this HQM addon for dw20, but due to a lack of forum interest it has not been finished to cover the entire season.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-7-10-dw20-series-7-lets-play-hqm.57056/

If you do want to play along with Direwolf20, and use the same map seed even, it is necessary to install v1.0 of dw20, create the map with Direwolf20's seed with that, THEN upgrade to the latest as mod updates significantly altered the worldgen.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

^This. Also, if you are interested in learning about new mods for MC 1.8.9 check out Dire's Forgecraft 1 Season 8 series, which only has 3 or 4 episodes so far.

They just restarted FC1 with a bunch of Devs to test and play with thier new 1.8.9 mods that may be coming to a pack near you soon, and not only can you get an insight on how to use new features, you can also sometimes learn why things were changed.

Plus, they seem to have a lot of fun and prove that Devs are people too :D

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I only watch Dire's server play series these days.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
^This. Also, if you are interested in learning about new mods for MC 1.8.9 check out Dire's Forgecraft 1 Season 8 series, which only has 3 or 4 episodes so far.

They just restarted FC1 with a bunch of Devs to test and play with thier new 1.8.9 mods that may be coming to a pack near you soon, and not only can you get an insight on how to use new features, you can also sometimes learn why things were changed.

Plus, they seem to have a lot of fun and prove that Devs are people too :D
And giving everyone the reason why 1.8 should bloody well be skipped in its entirety... despite being out as long as 1.7 was before 1.8 came out, very few mods are out for 1.8, those that are seem to still be very unfinished, and it seems to me that the large portion of those that ARE up to 1.8 are doing so largely so they can jump to 1.9 easier.