Looking for a new fun modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

John Batts

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, so I've played a lot of FTB/AT/TECHNIC modpacks and enjoy quite a lot of them, but now I'm wanting something new, I've played through the "latest" craze modpacks of Infinity Skyblock and Skyfactory 2.5, And gotten to the point where I don't know what else to do, so simply, what packs would you recommend?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
If you have "Unstable 1.8" installed the Curse launcher just replaces the profile graphic without updating for some reason. To install "Unstable 1.9" you will have to completely delete the older profile first.
That's because it's the same pack. 3.X.X is 1.8, 4.X.X is 1.9

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, so I've played a lot of FTB/AT/TECHNIC modpacks and enjoy quite a lot of them, but now I'm wanting something new, I've played through the "latest" craze modpacks of Infinity Skyblock and Skyfactory 2.5, And gotten to the point where I don't know what else to do, so simply, what packs would you recommend?

Don't feel bad, you're not alone, I'm in the same sad place as you... loving this game, but terribly bored with it every time I fire it up. I guess I'd call it the "I've done it all before" syndrome... every modpack seems the same, with the same mods. It's not really the game's fault, however, or FTB's fault, or the mod developer's fault... I don't want blame to fall on the wrong people or places... it's the fault of me, the player. It's up to me to find new and fun ways to keep my interest up in the game, but I too am struggling with it because just building stuff for the sake of building stuff doesn't really hold my interest. Once the exploring and progressing becomes "old hat" and routine, the only thing left is creative building, and I'm just not the type to get excited about making huge pixel art or statues of Pokeman. LOL

My greatest hope lies with 1.9, where at the very least we'll have some new "vanilla" things to play with - the undersea temples with the "new" ocean mobs, the fact that boats actually seem to work properly, etc. But that's still a ways off, even if we do have a 1.9 modpack (Unstable) to experiment with now.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if you have that curse allergy most folks have around here but the Curse launcher is actually quite simple to use. You can make your own pack and give some of those unused mods a testing. Who knows what gold is hidden in the sea of shit mods.

Might also want to try different things, playing with less mods. Removeing the staples you rely on to see if it changes the way the game plays.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Inaeo and asb3pe

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What is this "Terra Firma Craft" I see mentioned everywhere? FTB even has a 3rd party modpack that is apparently "based on" TFC called Terra Firma Punk... I tried that modpack, discovered immediately that (cool!!) this was NOT your "normal, everyday" modpack... collected the stones and sticks lying all over the ground... and that's about as much as I played it. LOL

I guess I'd love to hear opinions on TFC - is it vastly different? How so? Good or bad? Or any other "modpacks" that are quite different from the norm (and yes I know about Gregtech so no need to go there).

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if you have that curse allergy most folks have around here but the Curse launcher is actually quite simple to use. You can make your own pack and give some of those unused mods a testing. Who knows what gold is hidden in the sea of shit mods.

Might also want to try different things, playing with less mods. Removeing the staples you rely on to see if it changes the way the game plays.

Yes, I def have that allergy. LOL However... your advice is spot-on. Thanks. And wouldn't you know it? Synchronicity happens. There I was on youtube, watching a video of a real earthquake (don't ask lol), and look what I find - quite possibly, the answer to my boredom... hahaha

Or... maybe not? :D Either way, great advice Azz, thanks.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I suggest Modular Mayhem, (packcode: modularmayhem) by Iskandar, author of Crash Landing. It uses many mods not in wide circulation, such as Magneticraft, Hydraulicraft, Essential Craft, and Advanced generators. With a heavy focus on modularity and multi-blocks. It's an extremely fun pack, and I still play it a bit. Definitely forces you to think outside the box.

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I find Departed to be vastly different from all the other ftb packs. So far, it has been the only Advent of Ascension based pack I have seen, and that 1 mod completely alters the game. It is also a great pack if you want a hard difficulty. (It is especially hard in the beginning when you don't have armor and the overworld mobs can kill you in a couple hits.)