Looking for a massive light source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Unfortunately you can't microblock Project red lamps or else it would be perfect.

Also, love the "Purge Villagers" button.

DO IT.
Hehe. Using my MFR autospawner setup to spawn villagers for trading(through Trading Post). Needed a way to get rid of them when done(Grinder setup wont kill them). PortalGun "High Energy Pellet Launcher"s is that way :p

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.6 you can drop light sources beneath Carpenter's blocks for added light. This is fixed in 1.7. If you need light due to mob spawning you could also drop a Magnus torch in your base and light as needed since it'll prevent mob spawning. Or you could use bottom down slabs in open areas since that's a vanilla method to prevent mob spawning.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I know what I was thinking of. If you plunk a ProRed between two blocks, it'll leak out the sides, and look like micro blocks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I know what I was thinking of. If you plunk a ProRed between two blocks, it'll leak out the sides, and look like micro blocks.
Yeah the "leak" produces some really cool effects when you combine them with microblock covers.

Project Red Inverted lamps covered with Microblock covers:
NxdXH8d.png

SV66FiD.png
The Microblocks will also not block the light, so you get full "value" for the full lamp.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
If you have access to Thaumic Tinkerer, and are willing to spend a little while doing the research, I would recommend the Gaseous illuminae to you. It's basically an invisible light source, which you release into the world via a right click. Each one lights up 16 or so blocks, but you can put blocks in the area without risk of the light going away. So yea, you can light up an entire base using a light that acts like it isn't even there! (Well, there are a few particles that come every once in a while, but that's about it.)
Gaseous illuminae causes the problems described in the OP.

Reactions: ryter78

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Gaseous illuminae causes the problems described in the OP.
Yeah, it is impossible to have light without light sources occupying blocks. And this causes problems with lots of things, specifically algorithms that check if blocks are empty(plants growing, different spawning mechanisms etc), since any block containing a light source is not empty.

Only way around this is to use visible fixed lightsources(torches, glowstone, inverted lamps etc) in places that does not interfere with your work etc. So thinking lighting into your design from the beginning is a very good idea.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I just place glowstone nooks you get 32 per glowstone block and you can just place them around
Sent from my SCH-I930 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, microblocked light sources are the best options you're likely to find. I don't worry about the false light blocks but that's me.

Nick Dellhall

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the "leak" produces some really cool effects when you combine them with microblock covers.

Project Red Inverted lamps covered with Microblock covers:

The Microblocks will also not block the light, so you get full "value" for the full lamp.

*yoink* great idea!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Doesnt Rotarycraft have the Bright Lamp? Havent used it myself, but was planning to.
Think that is the Flood Light you are thinking off. Shines a long beam of light depending on power given to it.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
How about a mystcraft age that has the "Bright" page? Doesn't prevent mob spawns, but you can just spam magnum torches or something for that.

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Think that is the Flood Light you are thinking off. Shines a long beam of light depending on power given to it.

No there also a light source that require a spring to function and will light up a large area and its called a "Bright Lamp"