looking for a lot of free power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Noby07

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in my World, squid power has been the best solution. Even beeing mid to late game tier, you dont need to change much to such a system to make it ultimate. Squid power is one of the few things that got nerfed, because powercrystals has nerfed, because his mod MFR is like DartCraft more fun to the user because its making starter things easier and you can concentrate more on the mid to late game stuff. But for early power solutions, a clockwork engine and later a solar boiler isnt to much of a problem.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I figured I'd try the squid route. Can we say 'nerf incoming'?

iWrRDJm.png

4 squids, 4 ranchers each, 32 bioreactors and a huge surplus. I'm feeding 4 36 HP boilers that I just started up and even when heating cold boilers I have a large surplus of biofuel.

You can put 8 ranchers on each squid. Each rancher feeds 4 reactors. Each reactor feeds two fully heated 36HP boilers when properly supplied.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
You can put 8 ranchers on each squid. Each rancher feeds 4 reactors. Each reactor feeds two fully heated 36HP boilers when properly supplied.

Oh man, how did I not know about this? Gotta try this out. Btw, does it matter how many squid you put in the tank?

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Technically you can get 97 Ranchers to work with one square. But that's only if you can extract from their top or bottom.

I've tested Harvesters and you can power them from the bottom and extract from their top. But I don't know how Ranchers handle the overlap. Or if they work with something in front of them.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
With testing in Unleashed 1.1.4 you can run 85 ranchers off one squid. The ranchers do extract from the top and each one produces one ink sac per second. That's an 11x11 grid with each 3x3 corner removed.

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
poor squid they just can't get a break. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if ink couldn't be used with the bio reactor as an end all be all nerf. or Not Who knows. Either way... the only way this could get any better would be having a little treadmill for them to run on and generate power that way.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I just use a couple of LP Boilers. I've got a 2x2x3, and a max size, both running off of charcoal. They power a steam oven, and six engines. (Yes, I'm 'wasting' steam.) But that also means I can expand it. They're fed by an MFR tree farm, run from a single biogas engine.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree a MFR tree farm requires no maintenace and runs constantly. The charcoal and saplings turn into constant power that doesnt stop when the sun goes down. IMO steam boilers are FAR more effective then solars.

My solar panels are in an age where one of the suns never goes down. Advanced solars keep producing at night and/or during rain, just at a reduced rate. The best advantage for me of solars and/or solar-powered steam over a boiler is that a) there is no heat up period, and b) they can be moved easily.[DOUBLEPOST=1379471712][/DOUBLEPOST]
The server still has to calculate light updates so no, it's definitely not a solution.

Light updates for a single chunk that nobody is in? OH NO, better upgrade that 286 server.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Light updates for a single chunk that nobody is in? OH NO, better upgrade that 286 server.

It doesn't matter if people are in the chunk or not. It's still a relatively expensive calculation. If you remove a lava block it recalculates light levels in a 15 radius sphere. THAT is what causes the server strain. Unfortunately many people think it's the moving textures.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
M
Well, in my World, squid power has been the best solution. Even beeing mid to late game tier, you dont need to change much to such a system to make it ultimate. Squid power is one of the few things that got nerfed, because powercrystals has nerfed, because his mod MFR is like DartCraft more fun to the user because its making starter things easier and you can concentrate more on the mid to late game stuff. But for early power solutions, a clockwork engine and later a solar boiler isnt to much of a problem.

Mfr IS closer to dartcraft than all the other mods. Why do people complain about dartcraft but not about this squid silliness?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Mfr IS closer to dartcraft than all the other mods. Why do people complain about dartcraft but not about this squid silliness?
Because I'd never come across the squid silliness until today? A lot of people will never come across it, and therefore it will not affect their game at all. Personally I wouldn't mind if ink were removed from the BioReactor's allowed item list. The problem is that it's the same item ID as cocoa beans, bonemeal, lapis (every wondered why lapis worked? this is why!), and all the vanilla dyes so I suspect it's a case of one out all out, and I do use cocoa beans. Oh well, I could use jungle saplings instead.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Because it's the squids fault ( *mad scientist laugh*)

MFR tree farms IMO change the whole game. One tiny tree farm is basically a cheap solar panel that will put out over 1000 eu/t, easily enough power for anything other than gregtech stuff or the mass fab from ic2.

Im curious to compare the cost of an HV solar (uses basic resources so its easier to compare) to a tree farm, some furnaces and 50 generators. The hv solar costs a lot more, but people complain they are lame, too strong, etc. But again, no one complains about tree farms.

If a server could be setup for competitions, and people had say 24 hours of game play to get to the highest amount of power and resources accumulated, id guarantee everyone would use an MFR tree farm for power. That says something, doesn't it?

Side note: as for mod design and inventiveness, i love MFR. I just think the guy makes the items too strong. he had to nerf the bioreactor... no one complained about how OP it was that i saw, why then all the dartcraft hate?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Side note: as for mod design and inventiveness, i love MFR. I just think the guy makes the items too strong. he had to nerf the bioreactor... no one complained about how OP it was that i saw, why then all the dartcraft hate?
Because DartCraft goes out of its way to be more powerful than any other mod in everything it does. MFR goes out of its way to be more fun and entertaining. Occasionally it goes a bit too far in terms of power but people forgive it because it's such a great mod in other respects. Now, I don't hate DartCraft. I've used a few of its entry-level tools but never done anything more advanced. But I can see why some people think it's OP.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
M

Because it's getting fixed in the next version. So it's a bug / oversight.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
With testing in Unleashed 1.1.4 you can run 85 ranchers off one squid. The ranchers do extract from the top and each one produces one ink sac per second. That's an 11x11 grid with each 3x3 corner removed.

How do you extract from the top? I thought MFR ranchers and harvesters spit material out the back?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
How do you extract from the top? I thought MFR ranchers and harvesters spit material out the back?
They will output into any adjacent inventory. I've had pipes on the sides but I've not tried the top. I'm assuming a rancher behaves like all the others, as I have more experience with harvesters and planters.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
MFR tree farms IMO change the whole game. One tiny tree farm is basically a cheap solar panel that will put out over 1000 eu/t, easily enough power for anything other than gregtech stuff or the mass fab from ic2.

Im curious to compare the cost of an HV solar (uses basic resources so its easier to compare) to a tree farm, some furnaces and 50 generators. The hv solar costs a lot more, but people complain they are lame, too strong, etc. But again, no one complains about tree farms.

The problem with solars has never been their output. What people dislike about them is that they don't require any complexity or originality. Just plop down a single generic block and be done with it.

With a tree farm you still have to build all the infrastructure to feed the planter, power the harvester and fertilizer, feed the fertilizer, take output from the harvester, store the logs saplings and apples, convert the logs to charcoal, convert the saplings to biofuel, feed the logs and biofuel into boilers, then pipe the power from boilers back into the farm. And each of those can be done in very different ways, like golems to move the materials around or using combustion engines instead of boilers. With all these choices to make, unless they are deliberately copying each other, no two persons' tree farm power setup will be exactly the same.

There's nothing wrong with using Solar, don't get me wrong, it's just doesn't feel very creative to a lot of people.