looking for a lot of free power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if its been said, but the radio isotope thingy in the experimental version is free to run and will last forever

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Sorry to sound snarky, but whatever you may think of the cost solars are the absolute best answer to this question every single time.

Lots of power, no maintenance.

Anything else you want to do for power is going to cost you far more effort in the long run, I firmly believe that.
I disagree a MFR tree farm requires no maintenace and runs constantly. The charcoal and saplings turn into constant power that doesnt stop when the sun goes down. IMO steam boilers are FAR more effective then solars.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I never think of muchrooms... do they work in daylight or are they restricted by the vanilla mechanics? If so, how do you combat this, since I am guessing that the other plants are just as dependant on a sufficient ligth level.
Mushrooms require fertilizer to grow big. They are placed by the planter on dirt and cobblestone (I only grow them on one block in it's 3x3 area so I have to dig out the others, though I haven't tried sand) and are placed regardless of light level. They MIGHT be uprooted by light if not hit by fertilizer, but that's random if it happens and they're quickly replaced. Not certain on that though.

Both types of mushrooms work to make biofuel and are counted seperately. As for trees to use I find that Natura cherry and ghostwood give the most saplings, though they don't work for Forestry fuel.

MichaelAbbott

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to ask a newbie question but, why not soul shard blaze spawners for rods in gennies or where ever else they can go?

If that's a fine no-maintenance cheap solution then it's my recommendation.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Sorry to ask a newbie question but, why not soul shard blaze spawners for rods in gennies or where ever else they can go?

Mob spawners tend to be the laggiest of solutions. One of the only things that can compare is engine spam.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
The concept of "free energy" in minecraft modding gives me a lot of headache, because of several implications that it throws upon the user of such a method. One of the main reasons people play minecraft is because it offers a lot of options to kill time, either through hunting mobs to improve your skill, or just building a large structure to live in. The problem with free power is that, quite frankly, you would be lazy to use it. There is no drive for bettering yourself when you get free power. There is no sense of accomplishment for completing the next project to improve its energy efficiency, since there is no concept of efficiency when you have free power. I mean, why do you bother building something if you just build it once and you don't get to do anything afterwards?

Sure, more efficient systems are completely fine, because it causes the player to think about how each part works together. If you make a simple energy gain loop, however, you don't have to think anymore. An initial investment is used, sure, but you don't get anything out of it if you just leave it without the fear of something happening.

I guess what I am saying is that, sure, you can use infinite power. Just don't expect us to condone such a system.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I mean, why do you bother building something if you just build it once and you don't get to do anything afterwards?
I guess afterwards he will do whatever he needs the power for. If he's not interested in the power system but does want to breed and manipulate bees, for example, why should he be forced to keep fiddling with the power system?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
There is no drive for bettering yourself when you get free power. There is no sense of accomplishment for completing the next project to improve its energy efficiency, since there is no concept of efficiency when you have free power. I mean, why do you bother building something if you just build it once and you don't get to do anything afterwards?

None of this is for you to say or decide. It may very well be true for you but what gives someone a sense of accomplishment has nothing to do with what you think will give it. I've gotten more of a sense of accomplishment from using EE2 and making systems that utilize it more than any other mod than I've ever used. It is also not for you to decide what drives a person to use something because the reasons they use it are completely unique to them.

And I'll answer your question with a question and an answer:

Why do you bother building something if you do have to attend to it afterwards? Because that's what you want out of it. Many people don't find excitement or accomplishment in that area of modded minecraft. What right do you have to condemn them of it?

I guess what I am saying is that, sure, you can use infinite power. Just don't expect us to condone such a system.

Who is this "us" and why do you think their opinion holds any kind of value to anyone?

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Pardon me if my comments appeared to be a little crass. I suppose that I meant that, in my opinion, it takes the fun out of it for me. I know other people do have their own opinions on this subject. Sorry if it seemed like I was completely and utterly condemning someone for deciding to use free energy.

Reactions: RedBoss

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Add this mod for Mj: Buildcraft Tools.
Adds a kinetic engine, which can produce 5 mj/t. Need to replace the water wheel from time to time, but it's not too bad. You can get some that do 7 Mj/t which also have 4x the durability but cost diamonds...
Oh the 5 Mj/t wheels are just some gold, not too bad.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Pardon me if my comments appeared to be a little crass. I suppose that I meant that, in my opinion, it takes the fun out of it for me. I know other people do have their own opinions on this subject. Sorry if it seemed like I was completely and utterly condemning someone for deciding to use free energy.

I figured as much I just want to make sure that it is stressed that generalizing personal opinions into a more matter-of-fact sounding statement will lead to misunderstandings. Though my post was a bit aggressive so I do apologize for that.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

blaze rods got nerfed. Coal from wither skeleton spawners is still a valid option though.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
To OP, if your only concern about lava form Nether is lag, then use the Ender-Thermic Pump (It does not leave flowing lava, it intead replaces any lava it takes with stone).
I need to play with that thing some more, but it has be very unreliable for me.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I figured I'd try the squid route. Can we say 'nerf incoming'?

iWrRDJm.png

4 squids, 4 ranchers each, 32 bioreactors and a huge surplus. I'm feeding 4 36 HP boilers that I just started up and even when heating cold boilers I have a large surplus of biofuel.[DOUBLEPOST=1379449800][/DOUBLEPOST]
To OP, if your only concern about lava form Nether is lag, then use the Ender-Thermic Pump (It does not leave flowing lava, it intead replaces any lava it takes with stone).

The server still has to calculate light updates so no, it's definitely not a solution.

Reactions: MigukNamja