looking for a lot of free power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Spawn in a quantum generator. Anything else is obviously too much work.[DOUBLEPOST=1379403564][/DOUBLEPOST]

What's that going to solve? It doesn't give a power surpluss.

Magma Crucible, sorry. As I understand it, it does provide a slight surplus; not a whole lot, but it is an unlimited lava source with some power left over, which makes it an effective alternative to nether pumping.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if the only thing stopping you from pumping the nether is lag, there are lagless pumping methods. I can't remember the names of the machines, but GregTech has one, and there is one other one that automatically chunkloads as well.

I might be wrong though, as I'm horribly outdated with the packs right now.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Ender-thermic pump replaces each block with stone, so no lag from lava flow and it self-chunkloads. There are some great arguments against lava, I don't think lag is one of them at this point.

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
Not to sound to much like a noob what is this squid generator you guys talking about?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Not to sound to much like a noob what is this squid generator you talking about?

You get a few squids and put them in a tank using a Jailer's Safari Net, so that they don't despawn. And you milk them for ink sacs constantly with a bunch of ranchers.

You feed the ink sacs into a bioreactpr, and get a minimal amount of power from it. After making enough squid generators, you can get some pretty decent free power from it.

EDIT: If you hook it up to a bioreactor being fed by a tree farm or something similar, you can increase the efficiency of it by a decent percent. So if you already have a tree farm, hook your squid generator up to the tree farm's bioreactor, to get the most out of your ink sacs and saplings.

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
aah nice I need to look into this, I'm using hp Boilers atm for power from oil to fuel, but is hassle moving the oil pump every so often.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
aah nice I need to look into this, I'm using hp Boilers atm for power from oil to fuel, but is hassle moving the oil pump every so often.

I would instead suggest using an oil fabricator. It generates an energy surplus when converted to fuel and burned in a boiler.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
If you go high efficiency you're going to need 9 farms of one type or another.
I have 3 BioReactors at 100% efficiency with 4 planters, 5 fertilizers, and 14 harvesters. 3 planters/fertilizers/harvesters doing a single type of tree each for saplings, 1 planter & fertilizer doing a 9x9 with carrots in two corners, potatoes in two other corners, and wheat on the sides. The middle 3x3 is taken up with 4 of the harvesters pointing out at the wheat, the potatoes and carrots are harvested from the outside. Two harvesters are each pointing at a 3x3 of melons or pumpkins on IC2 Crop sticks, no fertilizer because they don't work, and one harvester & fertilizer is pointing at the coacoa beans on a tree. Keeps 3 BioReactors running at full efficiency, feeding a 36HP and 10 MFR biogenerators. Level Emitters pointing at Wireless Transmitters turn on the appropriate harvesters when the material runs low, which is why I have so many different harvesters.

BuzzSa

Jul 29, 2019
I would instead suggest using an oil fabricator. It generates an energy surplus when converted to fuel and burned in a boiler.

Yup that is what i'm doing. I refine oil first and run 5 boilers of 2 refiners.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
A point on Hoff's suggestion (Or rather a point at the reservations on efficiency sited by others), a more efficient setup if very easy to achive with a single planter not that they can be split into 9 different crops. Barley, cotten, cocoa, vanilla seeds, netherwart, vanilla saplings (Multiple options). When you couple these with a fertiliser and add the squid farm and bonemeal, you can have a very efficient setup without much work.
The reason I didn't do this is, what do you do with the surplus? You're going to get more of one thing than the others, and this will build up and up and up. Sure you could set up 9 DSUs for the overrun, but do you really want the farm running constantly and using up power both at the farm itself and in the AE system? I like that each harvester turns on only when the number of items that it is harvesting goes below 512. I have a build-up of logs in DSUs, though, not sure what to do with those, I might build a hopper tower fed by level emitters over a singluarity maker to keep the stock at a reasonable level.

And when I pull a few stacks of something out, my harvesters spring into life and harvest the fully grown crops that are waiting.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
If you turn harvesters on and off for trees they eventually get jammed with a partially harvested tree. I put those level emitters on the planters instead. Then again that might have been because my switching was power, not signal.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
If you turn harvesters on and off for trees they eventually get jammed with a partially harvested tree. I put those level emitters on the planters instead. Then again that might have been because my switching was power, not signal.
I'm surprised it gets jammed, as it cuts the wood from the top down. I've seen it stop part way through cutting away the leaves but it's always resumed successfully.
Actually, I did once see a tree with the bottom block missing and a sapling in its place. I assumed that that was a timing glitch where the sapling disappears before the tree appears, and the planter replaced the sapling first. I saw that happen with Lillypad of Fertility next to a Steve's Carts farm as well.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I didn't do this is, what do you do with the surplis? You're going to get more of one thing than the others, and this will build up and up and up. Sure you could set up 9 DSUs for the overrun, but do you really want the farm running constantly and using up power both at the farm itself and in the AE system? I like that each harvester turns on only when the number of items that it is harvesting goes below 512. I have a build-up of logs in DSUs, though, not sure what to do with those, I might build a hopper tower fed by level emitters over a singluarity maker to keep the stock at a reasonable level.

And when I pull a few stacks of something out, my harvesters spring into life and harvest the fully grown crops that are waiting.

I read your earlier post and I can't argue with this, yours is a much tidier and more effieicent setup. Mine was a lazy example only to demonstarte that the following statement was unnecessary.

If you go high efficiency you're going to need 9 farms of one type or another.

I personally am a waster. I do, as you surmised, have a DSU for each of the 9 items I use and use a single harvester with upgrade set with a level emitter to shut down when cocoa is higher than 5k. (For some reason Cocoa always seems slowest for me).

If I feel threatened by the amount of excess, I turn on some more recyclers.

Infallible

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I've found setting up some Sewers to fertilize a MFR Farm works quite well.

When given a +3 upgrade the Farm covers a 9x9 area. And the internal filter further divides that into nine 3x3 plots.

I can usually get two Composters running to provide the fertilizer, and I get a huge surplus from most plants even when I prevent most of each 3x3 from being used.

Since this gives nine different sources you can get a fully effecient Reactor going. Actually several. One Reactor left me with enough surplus to quickly fill a 16X AE drive.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's a way to do it without fertilizer. And I haven't used squid either. Cocoa and netherwart seem to be best, with wheat being the worst and fertilized mushrooms providing the most.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Cocoa and netherwart seem to be best, with wheat being the worst and fertilized mushrooms providing the most.

I never think of muchrooms... do they work in daylight or are they restricted by the vanilla mechanics? If so, how do you combat this, since I am guessing that the other plants are just as dependant on a sufficient ligth level.