Looking for a good home...

Meatnog

Jul 29, 2019
I've been browsing the server promo stuff but having problems finding a home. Let me maybe list what I want then perhaps give a reason you should help me, and maybe some of you can point me in the right direction.

First off, I'm 39 years old and married -- which in my case means I'm mature and I play well with others. It also means I am gainfully employed so I am happy and willing to donate to a good home to cover the expenses that I add to a server due to playing.

I like going off by myself and building something cool, then linking it into the rest of the community.

I'm looking for:

* Mindcrack or Direwolf20 -- can add more mods too not an issue.
* A good community
* Lag free (or nearly so -- things happen)
* ACTIVE Admins/Owners
* A world map available via HTTP (doesn't have to be live like dynmap, can be a once-a-whatever render). [REQUIRED!]
* No explosions (no TNT, no nukes, no creepers blowin my crap up)
* Mystcraft would be nice, especially if ages are enabled (optional)
* A half-decent spawn that is easy to get out of.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I've been browsing the server promo stuff but having problems finding a home.

It sounds like you should be an excellent player, so I am not sure why you are having problems finding a good server. Might you be willing to discuss the problems that have been happening?

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
When you find it let me know I am just a tad older & maybe a tad less mature "Irish so.." sry I cant really point you in any firm direction I have been on a lot of servers from the start of ftb some have great admins GummyHermit for one, guy thats goes out of his way to stay in the back ground & works with host to try fix lag issues, but for me it was the location of server that was the problem I beleave. the last one was a nice friendly server but a little inactive, atm I play the 1 year world off line, but am allways looking for active friendly servers with mature player base, & no I dont mean only old farts, age is not the only indicator of maturity.

Anyways gl man hope you find your home.

Meatnog

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that I can't find a server that gives me all that I want. So many places end up banning blocks that aren't in their posts (like block breakers), not having HTTP enabled for CC (no pastebin), crappy admins (taking donations but not being transparent about where they are being spent), restrict view distance to short, crappy players + inactive admins/owners so the monkeys run wild and poop on everything, etc... The list is pathetically long.

I want a HOME. Someplace I can build something really cool for months that doesn't suck :)[DOUBLEPOST=1361902412][/DOUBLEPOST]
When you find it let me know I am just a tad older & maybe a tad less mature "Irish so.." sry I cant really point you in any firm direction I have been on a lot of servers from the start of ftb some have greats admins GummyHermit for one, guy thats goes out of his way to stay in the back ground & works with host to try fix lag issues, but for me it was the location of server that was the problem I beleave. the last one was a nice friendly server but a little inactive, atm I play the 1 year world off line, but am allways looking for active friendly servers with mature player base, & no I dont mean only old farts, age is not the only indicator of maturity.

Anyways gl man hope you find your home.

Yeah, I hear ya. It is almost to the point where I want to run my own server.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that I can't find a server that gives me all that I want. So many places end up banning blocks that aren't in their posts (like block breakers), not having HTTP enabled for CC (no pastebin), crappy admins (taking donations but not being transparent about where they are being spent), restrict view distance to short, crappy players + inactive admins/owners so the monkeys run wild and poop on everything, etc... The list is pathetically long.

Man, I had no idea the server field was that mined. You know, what would be really useful would be a servers.feed-the-beast.com system that allowed us to enter data about servers, such as we can already do now in the server forum, but was also easier to keep up with and not forum-based (or you don't have thousand page long topics for each server, and, instead, might have the ability for people to register as a member on the server so you can see a "server population" field). It could then have better support for things such as an exact list of blacklisted blocks, CC HTTP support, view distance and whatnot.

Of course, I'd also like the ability to teleport, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, so we can always hope.

That is what I did mostly as I have a computer that can handle it, enough bandwidth, and a small group of friends that want to work together to live, so it makes sense in that case.

In your case, though, you want a good community, which might take some time to put together on your own.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

I want a HOME. Someplace I can build something really cool for months that doesn't suck :)[DOUBLEPOST=1361902412][/DOUBLEPOST]

As one that has done that along with family members that also play minecraft, I can heartily recommend doing just that. make some friends here at FTB, and invite them in.
One way to vet people a little bit, is to do something like a co-op FTB map challenge. see who you end up liking to work with when the going get's tough.
Being on the rather matureish end of the scale myself, I'd love to get into such a community. Unfortunately neither my landlords ISP or wife agree about that, so I am not in a position to run a server atm. otherwise I would have. it can be a lot of fun with the right crowd.

also: stupid restrictions are stupid. I really hate places that are too restrictive, although i do understand the need sometimes. I feel it is better to have a small but active and friendly crowd rather than random strangers as the community.