Look mama, no GUI's!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Work in progress on my next mod. The mod is going to be much broader then what is shown here but this video shows the immsersive crafting system where GUI's are totally avoided. Note that GUI's for the regular crafting table, furnace and chests still work. This mod is Minecraft 1.8.8 only:

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Technically you can't not have a GUI in a game. Technically what you have there IS a GUI.
One question though, how exactly can you do this in world crafting without making it incredibly tedious and annoying like other mods have?
How are you dealing with multiple crafts? Are you planning on a mass automation crafting method?

I can only guess you will do it in a way where you set the recipy up and a click from a key draws from your inventory or adjacent containers. Hopefully it's not just a limited version of Translocator's in world crafting.
Actually are you going to be augmenting containers? That would be a difficult thing to achieve without traditional GUIs. Or at least doing it in a intuitive way that's better than the usual grid.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
The plan is to have multiple workbenches or machines to craft so that you don't have tons of different things to do with a single workbench. i.e. making glass bottles on a wooden workbench does not make sense. You would need to melt the glass at least. Making machines will have to be done on a more technical workbench with a soldering iron for example.

Also I have more plans to improve on this user interface. Personally the interface like it is right now is not that bad. If the 4 slot inventory is filled with sticks and rocks I can craft all the tools simply by scrolling and right clicking one by one. Faster then with a crafting table.

Augmenting containers? What do you mean by that exactly?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
So say I want to make 400 flux ducts I would have to do it one at a time? That will get old fast.
Regarding the containers are you thinking about giving chests and the like a GUI free treatment.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
There is always sneak-right-click (to craft one stack at a time given enough materials)

Well didn't you see the chest in the video? It is already there and has no GUI either. Can only hold 4x3 stacks though.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome.

I'd like to make a suggestion: maybe a grill for cooking food? It has always bothered me that you smelt metals and cook food with the same machine.

Lumaceon

Popular Member
Jul 23, 2014
Not Kansas
I personally never fell in love with the concept of GUI-free gameplay to be honest; my play style leans more toward having informational windows everywhere. That being said, I like GUI-free blocks as novelties and you've done some very cool things here that your target audience will adore. It'll be interesting to see where you take this mod from here.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'm cool with in world crafting just so long as it doesn't rely on the use of the dropp key.
Let's face it, it's not the most reliable mechanic.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
It's nice as a novelty concept, but in practice it's as clunky and inconvenient as those typical botania/aura cascade contraptions. Just watching you struggling to make the simplest items was painful.