Long time players need new project

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
So a buddy of mine and I are both pretty good with mods and the like and we've gotten to the point where nothing is "new" per say to us and the only options we can see are either boring or inefficient. We've been playing on an unleashed world that he hosts for us and have already gotten to the point where resources are not a problem but things to use the resources on that would be fun and practical are just not presenting themselves to us. We have a farm for everything but nothing to use everything on. We're currently filling dsus with force logs, saplings, sand, and force ingots but that's being done passively by a huge SC2 tree farm which is providing more than enough liquid force to fill several max size steel tanks and the 100+ Force Engines that generate all of our mj for us. We've done pretty much everything we can think of that would actually provide us with a useful or efficient item and have no more ideas. Neither of us are particularly good at building and as such aren't inclined to build "good looking" things that don't provide us with something useful.

Ideas?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Stray away from the force stuff. Play around with other mods and trying to work with their energy system, etc.

IC2 EU and all the strategies to generate EU.

Using fuel to generate MJ, steam boilers to generate MJ, etc.

Play around with charge (factorization).

Bees, ThaumCraft, etc. Lots of stuff to play around with.

Reactions: Lord Wumbo

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I wasn't making our history clear enough. We've literally used every method we can think of possible to do things since ftb itself was released and even before then (shhhh don't mention the other thing) we're both knowledgeable with every mod that does something we consider useful and just decided that on this play through we'd focus on using force engines to produce all of our mj instead of what we've been doing many times before using boilers with all different fuel sources (our last playthrough ran entirely on a few dozen boilers being supplied with sugar coke from an underground coke oven bunker housing 500 coke ovens). We aren't even using power converters because, quite frankly, IC2 is useless to us past the Induction Furnace for it's speed.

We're looking for something obscure but useful to do. We've completed everything with Thaumcraft, IC2, BuildCraft, Steve's Carts 2, MinefactoryReloaded, Forestry, ExtraBees, Extra Trees, Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, Tinkerer's Construct, DartCraft, MFFS (not touching that one ever again), Advanced Solars, Compact Solars, ComputerCraft, Xeno's Reliquary, Factorization, ExtraUtils (admittedly probably haven't used this one enough but other mods do jobs better than this).

Some mods like Mystcraft have been omitted because we only use them for a certain item like Link Books now that the Ender-Thermic pump and the Laser Drill exist we don't need a lava ocean or a dense ores page. Other mods were omitted because we find the content dull or useless. Nevertheless we know how the mods work.

We want a big project to work on similar to getting a Fusion Reactor up, running, and automated back in Ultimate 1.4.7 but want to stick to Unleashed. Adding in another mod isn't entirely out of the question (except for GT because 1 we've already learned everything there is to know about it and it's machines and 2 we don't feel like messing with configs and item ids to get it to play nicely with TC which is more entertaining to us anyway).

We could make a mob farm for every non-boss-mob in the game but we've already done that several times before and have no current use for the items. We could make a farm for every tree in the game but we don't need the wood since we don't build fancy houses and such. We could leave everything behind and start fresh or restart the world but then we'd have the same problem after about a week of setup. We need something engaging, fun to use, and that would require us to do a fair bit of tinkerering with to learn it down to the last ingredient.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Yep exactly what's your talking about add more mods that fit your play style! My server is tailored for industrialization and tech things. If you toss some mods in the mix, you can do additional things, such as trying out UE mods and such. Other ways are extreme, why not try to run things difference? Like you said with those 500 Coke Ovens. Like a huge ore farm that'll farm ores in ticks instead seconds.

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
We decided to edit the config for the laser drill and have it require only 30 work units instead of 300. Let me reiterate again that material gathering is not a problem. We just need something to use the materials on that we haven't done before or haven't done well enough before.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Add Gregtech to Unleashed and start storing all your liquids in quantum tanks that are accessible via Thermal Expansion Tesseracts anywhere in the world.

Then automate the production of fertilizer and run Forestry farms to get lots of seed oil. If my mind serves you will need a lot of enderpearls for this, I suggest getting them via a piston and pressure plate grinder in the End.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My suggestion is to try a horse of a different color!

The Resonant Rise mod pack by KirinDave, which is up on the ATLauncher. It's got a whole host of new mods for you to play with, as well as a few old friends. It is quite an entertaining mod pack.

I'd suggest my own mod pack, ShneekeyCraft, but it is more of a minimalist mod pack designed for newer players, so it is probably not up your alley.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
We decided to edit the config for the laser drill and have it require only 30 work units instead of 300. Let me reiterate again that material gathering is not a problem. We just need something to use the materials on that we haven't done before or haven't done well enough before.

You're shutting down every suggestion when you came here for suggestions. Why don't you try turning your laser drills in the other direction and have them require 3000 work instead of 30. Y'know, make it so you're not swimming in resources because you made it easier.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Do a playthrough with:
No Ore Multiplication.
ComputerCraft Sorting.
No Flight.
No using diamonds for anything but decoration.
Factorization power.
No using coal, only charcoal.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
My suggestion is to try a horse of a different color!

The Resonant Rise mod pack by KirinDave, which is up on the ATLauncher. It's got a whole host of new mods for you to play with, as well as a few old friends. It is quite an entertaining mod pack.

I'd suggest my own mod pack, ShneekeyCraft, but it is more of a minimalist mod pack designed for newer players, so it is probably not up your alley.
This. I don't see anything UE related in your list. Also the suggestion thread is linked as well. Try these two things.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
You're shutting down every suggestion when you came here for suggestions. Why don't you try turning your laser drills in the other direction and have them require 3000 work instead of 30. Y'know, make it so you're not swimming in resources because you made it easier.
Well some don't like digging for everything and rather spend more time spicing up things on their base and make awesome contraptions instead of hitting the mine. While some like to do the oppsite and dig all day long with nothing more than power tools or enchanted diamond picks and loots up dungeons and villages. Whatever the case they goes hand in hand on a good server.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Well some don't like digging for everything and rather spend more time spicing up things on their base and make awesome contraptions instead of hitting the mine. While some like to do the oppsite and dig all day long with nothing more than power tools or enchanted diamond picks and loots up dungeons and villages. Whatever the case they goes hand in hand on a good server.

He wouldn't have to dig, he would have to come up with 10x more power than normal as opposed to 10x less power. It's what he's doing, but he'd have to put more focus on his energy infrastructure if he wants to keep the same ore output.

Reactions: casilleroatr

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the suggestions guys and I'm not trying to shoot any down I just want to make it clear what we've already done and what we want to get done. The config on the laser drill was just something we decided to try out as on our last server we got our resources from Miner Trees and entire batteries of laser drills and ignored quarries entirely. We always use turtles because they're fun to play with and efficient same with all kinds of farms. In fact we collected tons of oreberry bushes and stopped our laser drill to run all material production possible off those. It actually does net a fair bit of material.

We're not interested in building underwater for 2 reasons. 1: It's annoying trying to build underwater and getting rid of the water by hand is time consuming and trivial. 2: We don't neeeeeeeeed an underwater area. Here, let me show you our area thus far.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You like turtles, but you'd have to build underwater by hand? Make your turtles do the work.

Have you tried out Twilight Forest?

Ultimate Challenge, Gregtech Fusion reactor in a Stable Dense Ores, Diamond Ore Tendrils Mystcraft Age.