Lightning?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
I was standing around for 5 seconds or so in my singleplayer survival world when I was spontaneously hit by lightning, despite the weather being clear. I did a quick Google search which suggested it was caused by Flux from Thaumcraft, but I haven't touched anything from the Thaumcraft mod pack. There are wisps flying around, but they've been there since I created the world. Does anybody know what's going on?

Dran

Jul 29, 2019
In order to get rid if the wisps, and lightning strikes you have to get into thaumcraft. You need to get enough research in thaumcraft to make goggles. Which then goggles will show you the source Of the flux and where the wisp spawn. And then you will have to destroy the source.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
If there are wisps out you are probably near an unstable node or whatever they are called... they spawn evil things without needing any flux.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest OP sounds like your near a thuamcraft mound. They have this corrupted nodes in them that always have flux. There is not any easy way to deal with these nodes.

My suggestion is either reroll your world and just head away from spawn about 300+ blocks should do.

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest OP sounds like your near a thuamcraft mound. They have this corrupted nodes in them that always have flux. There is not any easy way to deal with these nodes.

My suggestion is either reroll your world and just head away from spawn about 300+ blocks should do.

From what I've seen the mounds tend to stick out the ground and are quite noticeable. There is one of those obsidian structures with vines over it where wisps tend to spawn, could that be the source of the flux? I was probably 100 blocks away or so from the monument when the lightning hit me.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've seen the mounds tend to stick out the ground and are quite noticeable. There is one of those obsidian structures with vines over it where wisps tend to spawn, could that be the source of the flux? I was probably 100 blocks away or so from the monument when the lightning hit me.

Oh ok. if it is one of them ones that has more then one obsidian pole sticking up those have spawners under them. Useally wisp or pigman.

Just dig it up and break the spawner. Or buriy it in dirt to stop it spawning stuff.

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
I covered it in cobble but it still spawns Wisps. Will destroying it really do anything? If that's where the unstable node is then surely flux will still be in the aura?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I covered it in cobble but it still spawns Wisps. Will destroying it really do anything? If that's where the unstable node is then surely flux will still be in the aura?

Well you got two things going on. It is hard to say without goggles of reveling.

You might just have a spawner. normal 9x9 block around it should kill it or barking the spawner cage intself.
But you might also have a currupted node. This you can only see with the goggles. If you have that then you can box that up too. But it will cause other flux issues which is why its better to just get away from it.

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
Well you got two things going on. It is hard to say without goggles of reveling.

You might just have a spawner. normal 9x9 block around it should kill it or barking the spawner cage intself.
But you might also have a currupted node. This you can only see with the goggles. If you have that then you can box that up too. But it will cause other flux issues which is why its better to just get away from it.

Eh, I might just try and reroll the world quite like the seed I'm on now.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, I might just try and reroll the world quite like the seed I'm on now.

Ok then run away from spawn. far far away. Make a bed and then you can go back to spawn later to clean it up once you have the stuff to do that.

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
Ok then run away from spawn. far far away. Make a bed and then you can go back to spawn later to clean it up once you have the stuff to do that.

Well, after being a little bit cheatsy I used the goggles to look at the aura node above the obsidian monument. It's definitely unstable, it looks like a vortex with lightning spewing from it. Plus the flux section stated it was "Moderate". Fortunately when I recreate the world it generates slightly differently each time, as in the amount of silverwood trees and a few features of the village. Sometimes there's an obsidian structure and sometimes there isn't.

It's worth mentioning I'm on a relatively sized island, so running away leads me to the ocean, haha.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Well, after being a little bit cheatsy I used the goggles to look at the aura node above the obsidian monument. It's definitely unstable, it looks like a vortex with lightning spewing from it. Plus the flux section stated it was "Moderate". Fortunately when I recreate the world it generates slightly differently each time, as in the amount of silverwood trees and a few features of the village. Sometimes there's an obsidian structure and sometimes there isn't.

It's worth mentioning I'm on a relatively sized island, so running away leads me to the ocean, haha.

Yep that vortex is the sign that it is currupted. They have a permint level of flux that never goes away.

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
Yep that vortex is the sign that it is currupted. They have a permint level of flux that never goes away.

That's awkward. I've found one or two that only have "Flux: Minimal" but that still sounds like an issue. Ah well, I really need sleep now.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yes a good node should be jsut like this puff of light (made a littel dark lightning) but if it looks like a dark vortex mini black hole looking thing it will be an issue.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Would you be able to upload an image of said Aura node(s)?
That would help on identifying the node correctly and how to deal with it. :)

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I'm positive that's just an unstable node then.
Actually, now that I think about it, here: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Nodes , that may help.

Anyways, yeah, I'd recommend for now, just "seal it" up, put a cobblestone room around it and go under it to destroy the wisp spawner, that should take care of most wisps.

Extra effects shouldn't be AS problematic, at least until you can take care of said node.

Ups

Jul 29, 2019
So just locking it in a room will stop the flux and prevent me from being hit by lightning?