Light sources that don't melt ice?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Servillo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just curious if there are any lightsources I can use that won't melt ice. I know that I have to keep the light level of any block adjacent to ice at or below 11, and while that means I can be careful with torches, I'd like to know if any other mods have added light sources that don't melt ice.

The pitfalls of wanting to build in a glacier biome. :p

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Sunlight.

Your best bet is to try your hardest to put the torches (or others) just far enough from the ice.

As far as I know, Ice is coded to melt under a certain light level, except if the source if the sun.

Servillo

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's what I figured. Guess I'll just have to be careful with my light sources near my outside walls. Shame that ice isn't microblocked; that'd make the whole thing really easy.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
There are, but they are not transparent. You can't craft them in assembly table, but you can get any facade using commands. If the block that you want has BID id and MD metadata, you just have to give yourself facade item with metadata equal to BID*16+MD. For example if facade ID is 19257 to get ice facade (BID = 79) you need to execute /give Player_Name 19257 n_items 1264 , for basalt paver (BID = 215 , MD = 6) you would write /give Player_Name 19257 n_items 3446 .

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Then my spawner wouldn't work. I had to put it down a certain distance so that mobs could spawn whilst the water didn't freeze.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Light melts ice, is codded in vanilla minecraft (besides sun light) your best bet is XY ice.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I knew I had read somewhere about a light source that didn't melt ice, and it took me a minute to remember...

And then I realized what I was thinking of were the Xycraft Quartz crystals. Derp.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only thing missing here, to explain ice melting, is that in minecraft the light isn't melting the ice. Rather the ice checks its light level and if it is high enough it melts. That is why you can't find a light source that won't melt the ice.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only thing missing here, to explain ice melting, is that in minecraft the light isn't melting the ice. Rather the ice checks its light level and if it is high enough it melts. That is why you can't find a light source that won't melt the ice.
How about a light source that's dim enough to not melt the ice but still worth placing to keep away mobs?

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
How about a light source that's dim enough to not melt the ice but still worth placing to keep away mobs?

oh sure, I'm not trying to dispute that, though if the objective is to have well lit rooms (by which I mean high light levels), instead of just rooms were mobs won't spawn, then no there is not really any light sources that would do it. If you just want to have some light then there are plenty of work-arounds, and if you just want to prevent mobs from spawning, then mobs shouldn't spawn on ice anyway (assuming ice flooring)