Lava Storage, Tanks VS Iron Tanks VS ???

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
I usually rely on Lava for my power generation. Love the stuff. But what is the best way to keep a ready supply?

Note, i dont use the nether for my lava. Just a little OP for my tastes. I'm actually glad that volcanoes are gone.

If i read the wiki right, Tanks and Iron tanks both store lava at 16 buckets per cube. My usual method is to dig down to bedrock, and have large underground lava tubes.

Iron Tanks look cooler, but take iron. Tanks just take glass, which i have in pretty much unlimited supply.

Is there a third option i'm missing?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
steel tanks. best non-GT storage option.
same mod as iron tanks (ralicraft), made the same way but with steel instead of iron. and since the only investment is time, i consider them VERY worth it. and honestly, if you have a decent setup, you shouldt be crimped for iron.
i like the RC blast furnace because you can take a nearly dead piece of iron armor and get all the ingots you put into it as steel. if you put steel armor in, you get one less ingot than was needed to make the armor.

or a GT quantum tank if you can. seriously. show me one of these filled up. this thing is total overkill.
2 MILLION buckets of storage. in one block. you break it you lose it. a creeper sneezes gbye ocean-in-a-block.
i would prefer this thing to be a 3x3x3 multiblock but *shrugs* oh well

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
steel tanks. best non-GT storage option.
same mod as iron tanks (ralicraft), made the same way but with steel instead of iron. and since the only investment is time, i consider them VERY worth it. and honestly, if you have a decent setup, you shouldt be crimped for iron.
i like the RC blast furnace because you can take a nearly dead piece of iron armor and get all the ingots you put into it as steel. if you put steel armor in, you get one less ingot than was needed to make the armor.

or a GT quantum tank if you can. seriously. show me one of these filled up. this thing is total overkill.
2 MILLION buckets of storage. in one block. you break it you lose it. a creeper sneezes gbye ocean-in-a-block.
i would prefer this thing to be a 3x3x3 multiblock but *shrugs* oh well
Good luck getting it all out on burst power demands.

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, those steel tanks are a pretty well kept secret. Not on any wiki, but i found them in the NEI.

Thanks for the suggestion!

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
Good luck getting it all out on burst power demands.
thats a common "problem" with all tanks.
solution:
have multiple outputs.
if you need more than 4 or 5 outputs, you can have an RC tank after the quantum.
my challenge still stands to show me a full quantum tank.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
RC tanks are easy as cake to get more out, a lot of valves but 5 sides are only able to get out of the quantum tanks.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
thats a common "problem" with all tanks.
solution:
have multiple outputs.
if you need more than 4 or 5 outputs, you can have an RC tank after the quantum.
my challenge still stands to show me a full quantum tank.
I've seen several of them filled. Lava wouldn't even be that hard.