Lava pumping without TE or Myst

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
Now I know that Thermal Expansion may or may not be released anytime soon and therefore was wondering how I'm going to do the cross-dimensional lava pumping that I'm so used to. I've got my own modpack with almost everything that the FTB packs have as well as most of the UE mods and a couple others.

What I'm basically asking, is what alternative can I use to liquid tesseracts? I'm trying to get enough lava to power my geothermal generators but the lack of lava in the overworld makes that a pain. Any ideas?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ender tanks...? You could also do a BC pump and have a forestry bottler bottle the lava into cans then transport it back through your choice of item dimension transport.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Also, you could use an EnderThermic pump from ExtraUtilities in the nether,along with an ender tank if you have those mods installed.
A few days ago some people on the forums were talking about a mod called EnderIO. I've never used the mod but some say its a good replacement for tesseracts

Reactions: Jess887cp

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
"Or you could be cool and use a different source of power" -- Yea well, I'm lazy alright and geothermals are far the best source of ic2 power fairly early on :p

Yea I also heard about EnderIO but after watching a spotlight didn't see that much about cross dimensional stuff, could be wrong.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
"Or you could be cool and use a different source of power" -- Yea well, I'm lazy alright and geothermals are far the best source of ic2 power fairly early on :p

Yea I also heard about EnderIO but after watching a spotlight didn't see that much about cross dimensional stuff, could be wrong.

The spot light hasnt been updated. I am using the current version and I am running a quarry with the mod. It works like a charm.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
don't know how vanilla portals work with railcraft, but if they work just like mystcraft portals you could use railcraft to make a locomotive with liquid tanks that go through the portal from the overworld to the nether and vice versa

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
don't know how vanilla portals work with railcraft, but if they work just like mystcraft portals you could use railcraft to make a locomotive with liquid tanks that go through the portal from the overworld to the nether and vice versa

They work ok, but if nothing changed the cart must be out of the portal for 45 s before traveling through it again. When I used it last I just broke the cart and dispensed it when it was empty.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
They work ok, but if nothing changed the cart must be out of the portal for 45 s before traveling through it again. When I used it last I just broke the cart and dispensed it when it was empty.

You could make a system that breaks the portal, pushes the cart, and then replaces the portal. Heck, I think something similar is possible in vanilla.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
You could make a system that breaks the portal, pushes the cart, and then replaces the portal. Heck, I think something similar is possible in vanilla.

This is not a problem with portal. Cart will have a bit of momentum when exiting the portal, so it will go on track underneath it.

Every entity has a counter that gets restarted to its base value (900 ticks for most entities, a lot shorter for players) every time this entity is in a portal block. It can travel through portal only when this counter has reached 0, breaking and replacing empty carts turned out to be easier solution than waiting.

John Freeman

Jul 29, 2019
Now I know that Thermal Expansion may or may not be released anytime soon and therefore was wondering how I'm going to do the cross-dimensional lava pumping that I'm so used to. I've got my own modpack with almost everything that the FTB packs have as well as most of the UE mods and a couple others.

What I'm basically asking, is what alternative can I use to liquid tesseracts? I'm trying to get enough lava to power my geothermal generators but the lack of lava in the overworld makes that a pain. Any ideas?
Gtech and EnderIO both add some form of Tessaracts. EnderIO ones are very similar to TE ones, but whatever you do, DO NOT CONNECT BC PIPES TO THEM. There's a bug that will cause a stack overflow and break your map if you attach them. You'll have to go into mcedit to fix it.

CosmicThing2

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, cheers all for the great ideas, I'm not too familiar with Railcraft or EnderIO so I need to look into them more.

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
That Extra Utilities mod, I have a question about it. How good are those pipes at sorting items? I'm looking for something a bit more "advanced" than buildcraft pipes, preferably something similar to what RP2 had. I have AE but looking for something to use prior to having such a system set up. Would have liked something that I can use along with barrels. Additional pipes and BC along with diamond pipes "works" but it's not pretty or very good. There are many copies of RP2 items but no pipes! /cry

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
That Extra Utilities mod, I have a question about it. How good are those pipes at sorting items? I'm looking for something a bit more "advanced" than buildcraft pipes, preferably something similar to what RP2 had. I have AE but looking for something to use prior to having such a system set up. Would have liked something that I can use along with barrels. Additional pipes and BC along with diamond pipes "works" but it's not pretty or very good. There are many copies of RP2 items but no pipes! /cry

the transfer nodes from Extra Utilities is very basic, it's based on the hopper system. it is possible to sort items with it, but it's not as advanced as other item transferring mods.
it's just a really basic transfer system which is very useful for small builds and compact transferring of items/liquid/power to 1 side of the machine

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Ender Tanks from Ender Storage are almost a direct replacement for Liquid Tesseracts. Unless your lava needs are high, a BC pump with 4x redstone engines (1 on each available face) should provide plenty of pumping power. You can place the Ender Tank directly on the side of the pump without having to mess with pipes.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
the transfer nodes from Extra Utilities is very basic, it's based on the hopper system. it is possible to sort items with it, but it's not as advanced as other item transferring mods.
it's just a really basic transfer system which is very useful for small builds and compact transferring of items/liquid/power to 1 side of the machine

You should look at filter pipes and sorting pipes before you call it too basic :D

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You should look at filter pipes and sorting pipes before you call it too basic :D

I've seen them, but you can't compare them to Buildcraft pipes, because compared to the BC pipes the transfer nodes are still quite "basic"
do note I am not saying I hate transfer nodes, I love them, but compared to other transferring system the transfer nodes are the most basic