Launcher v2 Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Fine, I'll say fixing and adding. Not sure if you're aware, but adding things usually breaks other things.
Known Facts:
Servers break when you add mods to existing worlds.
Asking users to use an "other than recommended version" of a modpack makes running the server difficult, due to confusion.
Asking users to use an "other than recommended version" of a modpack means tech support can't help.

Come on thats absolutly not true, I actually do have my own server which I use for myself, it has been running 1.64 for over a month and during that time I have added many mods and none of them have broken my server.

I guess we shall agree to differ on this as we could go round in circles for ever :)

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Come on thats absolutly not true, I actually do have my own server which I use for myself, it has been running 1.64 for over a month and during that time I have added many mods and none of them have broken my server.

And I can ALWAYS play the modpacks without breaking them, no matter how hard I try TO break them.
The masses will always find and break everything they can. Therefore, we need to prepare for that as best we can.
I guess we shall agree to differ on this as we could go round in circles for ever :)
Yes.

Reactions: Flipz

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019

You are kidding i hope.

Just because you haven't got any issues doesn't make it a valid point for the complete userbase. And the simple fact that you are running a 1.6.4 server right now means that you are probably above average in knowledge of servers compared to the userbase. When we providea pack + server it has to work out of the box and needs to be complete just because there are many people who have no clue how things need to be done for them to work. Especially when adding new mods...

Tikaran

Jul 29, 2019

I run a server also but mine has 60+ people. Yea you might be ok with adding mods on your server which you alone are on but when you have a large player base and you add a mod that might affect someone's base it just gives/starts unwanted problems and in turn you loose your player base.Not only that if you add a mod that has world gen not many people are fans of resets over 1 mod.

toiletzombie

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain how the current launcher isn't "compatible" with 1.6 mods? I guess I don't really understand what it is the FTB launcher is doing and how its not able to support 1.6 mods....

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain how the current launcher isn't "compatible" with 1.6 mods? I guess I don't really understand what it is the FTB launcher is doing and how its not able to support 1.6 mods....

The current launcher can't launch anything after 1.5.x due to base code changes in the way Minecraft works after the 1.6 release.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
So what your saying is the launcher does more than download mods with preset configs and put them in the minecraft folder?

With the new function of the minecraft launcher quite a bit had to change as did the way the FTB launcher installs things.
But that's not the only reason it's taken a while for the FTB crew to start building packs.
The launcher is going to have several new features that pretty much required the launcher to be re-wrought from scratch.
As I recall one of the new features is that you will not have to download multiple copies of individual mods. As it is now each pack would have to have a copy of every mod that's in it. In the new version all mods will be able to assess the same single copy.
So the amount of space that FTB takes up on your HD and the amount of time downloading pack updates is going to be vastly shorter do to not having that redundancy.
Example. Pack A has mod's 1,2,and pie. Pack B has mods Pie,cucumber,*. The launcher will only have to download Pie once. And any time Pie is updated it again will only need to be downloaded once.
I think there was also talk of improving custom pack creation. That FTB users will have a number of mod makers allowing players to make packs with there mods with out each of the makers having to get general permissions. Instead they will give general permission that anyone can make a pack through the FTB launcher.
Now it's bin a while since I read about those improvements so I can't guaranty there accuracy but if true then this launcher will be well worth the wait.

VictorFox

Jul 29, 2019
Oh boy... I haven't been to those forums for over 5 months, and people are STILL waiting for new launcher? I am glad that at least something in this world is constant and unchanging.

Thuulstrea

Jul 29, 2019
I am quite happy to wait as long as needed for the v2 launcher. As tech support for a small server of 8-10 players and running a modded unleashed/unhinged/dw20 server, telling each of those people how to download the extra mods and configs and install them into FTB, and helping them across both Windows and Mac OS's with problems. the newer features will be worth the wait. One point to download the entire pack complete with configs and not having to chase individual mod authors for permissions will maybe allow me time to build something on the server instead of constantly fixing issues and just moping in a dirt hovel....

Status
Not open for further replies.