launcher: private pack?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
hi. what is that "private pack" button all about?
i couldnt see any information.
it says: "type in the private code that you get from the private pack owner and click add, the pack will then be in your pack list"
what's that all about? how to get or create such a code?
could that be used to make my own modpack available to my youtube subscribers? even if there are mods in it that are not included by the regularFTB packs? well, that would be awesome, but i dont think that it works like that. or does it?

if it is not like that, what is it used for?
would be nice to get some information, i didnt find any.

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
oh, thanks a lot. i just used the forums search function and google, but this one didnt show up.
at the moment i dont have the time to read it, a lot of text. but later i will read it, and hopefully it answers all of my questions

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
You're welcome! Oh and I forgot: If you're an open minded person, you could also check out the new technic platform, you could get your pack going a lot easier and faster over there. And as long as you keep it private, I think it wouldn't offend any mod authors in terms of legalities or moral issues. As far as I understood almost all of them gave general permissions for private packs, but still, it would be up to you to check.
But you would probably risk some heat from some of your subscribers, because of ancient history. And I'm not sure if it would still count as a private pack if you'd put the link on your youtube channel, as that would make it kind of public. Again, it would be up to you to check the details.

MiK3gamer

Jul 29, 2019
hey, sorry for posting in this old thread again, but i want to be sure.
as far as i understand the rules for a private modpack, it is to use a mod when the author has given generall permission to everyone in the minecraftforums thread ofhis own mod ... he dowsnt exactly have to give persimmion to me in person. rght?

that means if the forums thread is saying "everyone is free to redistribute and share my mod" i can use it for FTB without asking for further permission. did i get that right?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The tl;dr is that if you want most of the modsin ultimate/Mindcrack in your pack, and don't feel like talking to 10-15 people over the internet and waiting for a few weeks, and you're not one of the chosen ones who actually get to talk to them every once in a while, just use the Technic Platform. I'm not a fan or anything, but the fact is, the process is orders of magnitude easier.

For progress to be made, there has to be competition - well now there is a competing, and better, product than FTB.

Reactions: Roady

Roady

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, though it probably rubs people here in the wrong way, I have to agree on this statement.

I find the the private pack process here somewhat convoluted, and not all that suited for small-groups trying to set up a small modded server between them.
And after having looked at the technic alternative... it certainly looks far simpler to do. (even when you take the permissions bit out of the comparison.)

Of course this isn't really an informed opinion as I haven't really tried to use either of the options. (Doesn't seem worth the effort for a server with a whopping 2 whole people using it)