Windows .exe Launcher Cannot Update or Download Modpack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
So I downloaded the launcher v1.0.4 and it does not seem to want to do anything. I startup the launcher and it loads okay but then it tells me to update, no sweat click yes to update. After a few seconds the console says

[ERROR] Exception during reading modpackfile
[ERROR] Failed to download launcher update

I have tried to download the latest version of the launcher from the site but the link is dead for me so no joy there.

A few stats for the heck of it:
Windows OS: 7 64-bit
JRE: 7 update 9
RAM: 8GB
Processor: Intel Core2Quad 2.4Ghz

And here is the log on pastebin
This is my first attempt at using the launcher so it is obviously a clean directory and so on.

EDIT: Also thanks in advance for help :)

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Do you use a firewall and anti virus program?
If so, try temporarily disable them before trying to run the launcher.

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
I disabled my firewall entirely and I am just running Microsoft Security Essentials, which is about as intrusive as oxygen so it should be fine. Will try to disable the Security Essentials real quick just to test.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
The launcher needs to take longer before timing out, that way people would not have to disable virus protection. All thats happening is that the JAR/ZIP file is being opened and scanned for threats, all the launcher needs do it wait for this to finish, but it times out too early.

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
Same result, log is exactly the same too link
EDIT: This is with zero anti-virus or firewall to block anything so I'm really scratching my noggin' on this one.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have a hardware firewall with anti-virus? I've had that cause me problems in the past, I just used the logs to find out what files were stalling, manually downloaded them, and everything was fine.

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, microsoft security essentials don't tend to cause much problems at all.
It's possible creperhost.net are having some light issues right now.
If we'r lucky it should work again in a few minutes.

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
@ NosajDraw
No hardware firewall, just a simple home router setup. I should also note that the Technic Pack launcher works just fine ( not sure if that helps or not ).

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
No download begins, the connection just times out after about 25 seconds or so.

Code:
Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to repo.creeperhost.net

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
I am sorry but every other website known to man works just fine. I already tried to use your links with everything turned off and they did not work. I tried your links from work and they don't work there either, I am the IT department there so I know for a fact that it isn't the connection there either. I've tried on Firefox, Chrome, Chromium (from Ubuntu Linux), and IE and all to no avail. Not trying to be rude, just frustrated with how poorly things are working... I have to remind myself it is a free service for free content or I'll say something unfortunate. Taking a break now, be back in 60.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
If you can't download the links it's a problem with your internet connecting to creeperhost, or it's a problem with your protection softwares blocking it. Or it's a combination of both.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
I can manually download the files no problem, I rather think your problem is a problem that exists somewhere between your computer and creeperhost rather than at creeperhost as such.

If you cannot connect to repo.creeperhost.net I'd seriously be looking at what URL's are being blocked by... well whatever it is blocking your access, but given that repo.creeperhost.net is up, that no one else is reporting your problem and the error message you posted I'm pretty sure the problem is not something FTB or creeperhost.net could solve.

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid I can't possibly think of anything that would be blocking me from creeperhost short of armageddon. But seriously, can't connect from multiple IPs in two different cities, what on earth could it be? Let me see if I can connect from my phone. brb...

EDIT: Ok, so my phone can download the Jar version of the launcher just fine, I grabbed it off my phone and plonked it into a clean folder and now this is what I get. "pastebin"
I can't figure out why I can't connect to creeperhost.

EDIT: I assume it is normal that I can still connect to the CreeperHost website right? Different server or something?

warfighter67

Jul 29, 2019
What State do you live in? If not USA then list country and what part.

It could be that servers are only having trouble in your location. Maybe ISP is blocking it or something?

I would do an IP trace (if possible?) to see what 'hoops' your machine is going through to try and connect to creeperhost.net

Sixdd

Jul 29, 2019
I can't believe I forgot to try that. *facepalm* Also I live in Central Kansas, my ISP is Cox Communications.

Ok, ran tracert and I got timed out at some server in Europe somewhere. I have no idea if this is helpful at all...
vss-5b-6k.fr.eu
IP: 178.33.100.30

This seems like it could be a DNS error at my ISP...

Status
Not open for further replies.