Large-scale lighting/spawn-prevention mods?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

OnmyojiOmn

Jul 29, 2019
I hate lighting up a large base. I know Thaumcraft, Extra Utilities, Factorization, and Greg's Lighting have lights that create lit-up air blocks or prevent spawns in a large area. I'm not so interested in most of what Thaumcraft and Factorization do, and performance is real problem for me so I try to keep my mod list short. Magnum Torches are crazy expensive and Floodlights don't really work for bases.

Are there any lighting mods that I don't know about?

Thanks

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, I tend to work in Glowstone into my designs which can most of the time supply all the light needed with its slightly larger radius.
or you could incorporate lots of liquiducts with lava into your base design.
Other than that I cant think of anything that isn't added by the mods you mentioned. Other than peaceful mode :p

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Magnum torches may be expensive, but the massive spawn-prevention radius is well worth it. The chandeliers that make it prevent spawns as well in a smaller area (16 block radius I think) and are a bit easier to make

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Magnum torches may be expensive, but the massive spawn-prevention radius is well worth it. The chandeliers that make it prevent spawns as well in a smaller area (16 block radius I think) and are a bit easier to make
But the chandeliers look so damn awful with Soartex texture pack :p
djPfInu.png

No idea what they were thinking of when they made that texture :p Hope its just a placeholder for when they get the real one made ;)

Tbh I would say just bite the bullet and make Magnum torches or Wrath lamps. Wrath lamps are rather easy to make once you have made those diamond shards the first time.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
or thaumcraft's thaumic lamp?
Thermal expansion's... energized glowstone... plus open block tanks they make cool decor when placed on the ground

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

your best bet is the magnum torch. it may be expensive, but if you're a bit in the game, it'll really help alot with lighting your base, or to be more exact, not having to light your base ;)

SpaceSquirrel

Jul 29, 2019
In Thaumcraft 4 there is the arcane lamp. I know you said you aren't interested in that mod but thought if throw it out there.

your best bet is the magnum torch. it may be expensive, but if you're a bit in the game, it'll really help alot with lighting your base, or to be more exact, not having to light your base ;)

Which mod adds these torches are just how expensive are they?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
In Thaumcraft 4 there is the arcane lamp. I know you said you aren't interested in that mod but thought if throw it out there.

Which mod adds these torches are just how expensive are they?
Extra Utilities:
http://ftbwiki.org/Magnum_Torch
Not that expensive, but a bit of a pain to make with the potions.[DOUBLEPOST=1386781353][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh wow. Well I hope they light the area up like crazy.
They dont actually light up much more than a glowstone block, but they disable spawns in a large area(specifics on the areas actual size and shape is a bit hard to get hold of and seems to depends a lot on version). In 1.5.2 I belive its a 32 block radius covering the entire height span. In 1.6 its apparently a spheroid(a ball that is squashed a bit in height).

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
according to rwtema it should prevent spawn in 64 block radius
Yes there are lots of sources mentioning 32, 64 etc as its radius. But..
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...a-utilities-v102/page__st__1060#entry26163265
The magnum torch's range is a spheroid with radius 128 and height 32. Putting a torch at y-level 63 will not prevent mobs from spawning at y-level 5.
But this doesn't seem to be the case in the version in Unleashed. I placed some of them on ground level and they completely prevents any spawns in caves under my base as well. Would be nice with some kind of documentation on what the radius is in different versions. Else there isnt really any alternative than to plaster them all over to be safe.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities:
http://ftbwiki.org/Magnum_Torch
Not that expensive, but a bit of a pain to make with the potions.[DOUBLEPOST=1386781353][/DOUBLEPOST]
They dont actually light up much more than a glowstone block, but they disable spawns in a large area(specifics on the areas actual size and shape is a bit hard to get hold of and seems to depends a lot on version). In 1.5.2 I belive its a 32 block radius covering the entire height span. In 1.6 its apparently a spheroid(a ball that is squashed a bit in height).

I believe it got changed to a radius of 32 horizontal in every direction, and 16 vertical in every direction
but it appears to have changed again in a later version... would be nice if there was an official wiki for Extra Utilities as the MCF topic hasn't updated it's content recently and is quite outdated

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it got changed to a radius of 32 horizontal in every direction, and 16 vertical in every direction
but it appears to have changed again in a later version... would be nice if there was an official wiki for Extra Utilities as the MCF topic hasn't updated it's content recently and is quite outdated
I haven't tested very thoroughly but it seems to be a spheroid with a ~64 block radius horizontal and ~32 vertical in the current version. The 128 radius that gets thrown around is (I think) because RWTema misspoke and said radius when he meant diameter in one of Dire's videos.

It would definitely be nice if it was documented better, it has changed a few times between versions and it gets hard to keep track.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
if all else fails look no further than MPS lux luminator... just craft it and its usable all the time anytime hand